Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Festool Reconditioned sale

In the past 10 or so days I have probably received 40 or so e-mails from
Festool, often 4~5 at a time.

Each e-mail is offering a re manufactured/refurbished Festool tool at a
significantly reduced price. Seems to be about 30% less than regular
new pricing.

Seems the time to buy if you need something and can do with a 1 year vs.
3 year warranty.

I will say for the popular items, the Kapex, both Domino's, the 3 larger
routers, dust extractors, and drills that you have to be quick to
respond. The first 3 mentioned above are usually gone after 3~6 minutes
of when the e-mail was sent.

Has anyone else taken advantage? I missed out on the Kapex, I was too
slow to respond.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/18/17 12:40 PM, Leon wrote:
In the past 10 or so days I have probably received 40 or so e-mails from
Festool, often 4~5 at a time.

Each e-mail is offering a re manufactured/refurbished Festool tool at a
significantly reduced price.Â* Seems to be about 30% less than regular
new pricing.

Seems the time to buy if you need something and can do with a 1 year vs.
3 year warranty.

I will say for the popular items, the Kapex, both Domino's, the 3 larger
routers, dust extractors, and drills that you have to be quick to
respond.Â* The first 3 mentioned above are usually gone after 3~6 minutes
of when the e-mail was sent.

Has anyone else taken advantage?Â* I missed out on the Kapex, I was too
slow to respond.

I signed up after someone mentioned the list in another thread.
It's kind of like a daily "neener-neener! look what you can't afford!"
:-)
It's also a bot difficult to tell what exactly is for sale and what's
included.
Is there a model number cross check list somewhere?

I *am* thinking about the contractor version of the track saw.
There have been quite a few time in this past year when I really
could've used one.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 12:40:33 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

In the past 10 or so days I have probably received 40 or so e-mails from
Festool, often 4~5 at a time.

Each e-mail is offering a re manufactured/refurbished Festool tool at a
significantly reduced price. Seems to be about 30% less than regular
new pricing.

Seems the time to buy if you need something and can do with a 1 year vs.
3 year warranty.

I will say for the popular items, the Kapex, both Domino's, the 3 larger
routers, dust extractors, and drills that you have to be quick to
respond. The first 3 mentioned above are usually gone after 3~6 minutes
of when the e-mail was sent.

Has anyone else taken advantage? I missed out on the Kapex, I was too
slow to respond.

I've pushed the "Buy Now" button on a bunch of them, just to see the
prices. I've yet to see one that wasn't already gone.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 17:51:53 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 12/18/17 12:40 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

They say that everything that is included in the retail version, is
included in the "reconditioned sale".

Is there a model number cross check list somewhere?

festool.com? Dead tree catalog? I generally use highland.com, since
it's my favorite toy store.

I *am* thinking about the contractor version of the track saw.
There have been quite a few time in this past year when I really
could've used one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

In the past 10 or so days I have probably received 40 or so e-mails from
Festool, often 4~5 at a time.

Each e-mail is offering a re manufactured/refurbished Festool tool at a
significantly reduced price. Seems to be about 30% less than regular
new pricing.

Seems the time to buy if you need something and can do with a 1 year vs.
3 year warranty.

I will say for the popular items, the Kapex, both Domino's, the 3 larger
routers, dust extractors, and drills that you have to be quick to
respond. The first 3 mentioned above are usually gone after 3~6 minutes
of when the e-mail was sent.

Has anyone else taken advantage? I missed out on the Kapex, I was too
slow to respond.

I've pushed the "Buy Now" button on a bunch of them, just to see the
prices. I've yet to see one that wasn't already gone.

You have to be quick to respond as soon as the e-mail arrives, and it
has to have been read shortly after it was sent. 10 minutes after the
e-mail was initially sent is usually too late. I never down loaded most
before 2 hours. LOL way too late.

I _just_ received the email for a DTS400. I immediately opened it and
it was sold, too. I suppose it's a good thing I didn't want it. ;-)
Apparently my email server is too slow to buy reconditioned.

I have had an opportunity to get 2~3 items. But I have hit my Festool
limit for a while last Monday. ;~)

I guess so! Don't wait too long, though. You're going to want to beat
the price increases. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-12-18, -MIKE- wrote:

It's kind of like a daily "neener-neener! look what you can't afford!"

I know!

I always considered it a bit strange, but you do not see the Festool
crowd raving about Mafell tools. Whyizat?

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, December 18, 2017 at 5:51:57 PM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote:

I *am* thinking about the contractor version of the track saw.
There have been quite a few time in this past year when I really
could've used one.

Working during the day, there is no way I could respond fast enough to any post to make a two minute window or received/responded. I can't do that when people tell me my check is ready!

Out of all the Festool equipment I have looked at and handled, the track saw is the only piece I nearly bought on. I went to see Karl and Leon one year and Karl ripped a piece of plywood for me so he could show me the quality of cut. I was actually astonished. He and Leon had just finished a kitchen build out and apparently used the track saw to break down the sheet goods before final sizing at the table saw.

You could easily use the end results from the track saw to build cabinets. The whisper thin veneer didn't chip, their was NO sign of saw marks anywhere, and the open grain from the cut was very smooth. Ready for glue up!

MIKE, if you get one, make sure you get with Leon about the modification he and Karl have to done to their setup just to make the saw/track use easier and a bit better.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/19/17 11:03 AM, wrote:
[...]

I will. I remember making a metal note about that when they posted it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-12-18, -MIKE- wrote:

It's kind of like a daily "neener-neener! look what you can't afford!"

I know!

I always considered it a bit strange, but you do not see the Festool
crowd raving about Mafell tools. Whyizat?

Maybe because I am clueless who sells Mafell. Festool has been around
for a quite a while here in the USA but was not really recognized until
they went all our about 10 years ago and began showing up in stores
that a woodworker would go to.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/19/2017 10:31 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 21:38:46 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

I had another shot at a Kapex today and not too late but it would have
been too many. LOL

I have had an opportunity to get 2~3 items. But I have hit my Festool
limit for a while last Monday. ;~)

I guess so! Don't wait too long, though. You're going to want to beat
the price increases. ;-)

LOL, I did beat the price increase. If I buy again late next year I
will beat the price increases again in 2019, ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/19/2017 5:48 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 12/19/17 11:03 AM, wrote:
On Monday, December 18, 2017 at 5:51:57 PM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote:

I *am* thinking about the contractor version of the track saw. There
have been quite a few time in this past year when I really could've
used one.

Working during the day, there is no way I could respond fast enough
to any post to make a two minute window or received/responded.Â* I
can't do that when people tell me my check is ready!

Out of all the Festool equipment I have looked at and handled, the
track saw is the only piece I nearly bought on.Â* I went to see Karl
and Leon one year and Karl ripped a piece of plywood for me so he
could show me the quality of cut. I was actually astonished. He and
Leon had just finished a kitchen build out and apparently used the
track saw to break down the sheet goods before final sizing at the
table saw.

You could easily use the end results from the track saw to build
cabinets.Â* The whisper thin veneer didn't chip, their was NO sign of
saw marks anywhere, and the open grain from the cut was very smooth.
Ready for glue up!

MIKE, if you get one, make sure you get with Leon about the
modification he and Karl have to done to their setup just to make the
saw/track use easier and a bit better.

Robert

I will.Â* I remember making a metal note about that when they posted it.

BY contractor are you talking about the one that looks like a regular
circular saw with the short track that is attached?

IIRC the modification that Karl and I made was for the parallel guides.
That probably would not interest you unless you got the long tracks.

And FWIW Ron Paulk on YouTube shows a hack to eliminate using the
parallel guides that Festool sells. He uses two modified versions of
the circle jig for the jig saw.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 18:38:45 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 12/19/2017 10:31 AM, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 21:38:46 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You've got two hands.

I have had an opportunity to get 2~3 items. But I have hit my Festool
limit for a while last Monday. ;~)

I guess so! Don't wait too long, though. You're going to want to beat
the price increases. ;-)

LOL, I did beat the price increase. If I buy again late next year I
will beat the price increases again in 2019, ;~)

FWIG, there isn't a 2018 price increase on the Kapex, though
apparently there is on the stand and outriggers.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-12-18, -MIKE- wrote:

It's kind of like a daily "neener-neener! look what you can't afford!"

I know!

I always considered it a bit strange, but you do not see the Festool
crowd raving about Mafell tools. Whyizat?

Maybe because I've never met a Mafell tool? I wouldn't know where to
buy one if I knew what they were and why they are so great (WTF is
Mafell?).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/19/17 11:03 AM, wrote:
[...]

parallel guides that Festool sells.Â* He uses two modified versions of
the circle jig for the jig saw.

The contractor version fits the regular long tracks.
I would not buy one without also getting enough track to rip plywood.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/19/2017 7:29 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 18:38:45 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 12/19/2017 10:31 AM,
wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 21:38:46 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Hummmmmm, Good point! :~)

I sure could have used it yesterday, I was cutting 3 boards to length at
70.375" That, as usual, was quite a bit hanging off the left end of the TS.

I have had an opportunity to get 2~3 items. But I have hit my Festool
limit for a while last Monday. ;~)

I guess so! Don't wait too long, though. You're going to want to beat
the price increases. ;-)

LOL, I did beat the price increase. If I buy again late next year I
will beat the price increases again in 2019, ;~)

FWIG, there isn't a 2018 price increase on the Kapex, though
apparently there is on the stand and outriggers.

Not surprising, I have actually seen some items go down in price. IIRC
the replacement MDF top for the large MTF work table went down in price
a few years back. I really need to use my current "holed" bench top as
a template to make more tops.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-12-20, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Maybe because I am clueless who sells Mafell.

That's particularly funny, as I learned about Timberwolf Tools

https://www.timberwolftools.com/

.....on this newsgroup and have mentioned this exact same issue in more
than one prior post. OTOH, what do I know? Only what you guy's tell
me.

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-12-20, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Maybe because I am clueless who sells Mafell.

That's particularly funny, as I learned about Timberwolf Tools

https://www.timberwolftools.com/

....on this newsgroup and have mentioned this exact same issue in more
than one prior post. OTOH, what do I know? Only what you guy's tell
me.

Sure, you can find nearly anything on the net but where can I go try
one? Who demos them?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 08:47:15 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 12/19/2017 7:29 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 18:38:45 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 12/19/2017 10:31 AM,
wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 21:38:46 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Woodpeckers was selling a "One-Time Tool" template to make the MFT
hole pattern. OTOH, I guess it would be pretty easy to use one to
make one.

The spacing of the holes isn't critical. A router and a hunk of track
should be able to drill the 20mm holes (or 3/4", if that floats your
boat).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-12-20, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

Maybe because I am clueless who sells Mafell.

That's particularly funny, as I learned about Timberwolf Tools

https://www.timberwolftools.com/

....on this newsgroup and have mentioned this exact same issue in more
than one prior post. OTOH, what do I know? Only what you guy's tell
me.

nb

I'm familiar w8th Timberwolf Blades but not Timberwolf tools.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/20/2017 9:44 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 08:47:15 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 12/19/2017 7:29 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 18:38:45 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 12/19/2017 10:31 AM,
wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 21:38:46 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The hole placement is only critical if you use dogs to align the work
piece and another set to align the saw track, they have to be evenly
spaced to create square and 45 degree cuts.
IMHO most of the guides, like the WoodPecker one are too small to
prevent an accumulated error if doing a large surface.

I think the MFT top would make a decent template. IIRC the replacement
top is in the price range of the jigs to make the holes. It should make
a superior template for use with a plunge router and top bearing flush
cut pattern bit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 16:43:50 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 12/20/2017 9:44 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 20 Dec 2017 08:47:15 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 12/19/2017 7:29 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 19 Dec 2017 18:38:45 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 12/19/2017 10:31 AM,
wrote:
On Mon, 18 Dec 2017 21:38:46 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

That sounds like a really bad idea, in any case.

IMHO most of the guides, like the WoodPecker one are too small to
prevent an accumulated error if doing a large surface.

I guess that depends on how accurate the holes are.

I think the MFT top would make a decent template. IIRC the replacement
top is in the price range of the jigs to make the holes. It should make
a superior template for use with a plunge router and top bearing flush
cut pattern bit.

Or 20mm bit (end mill).
Posted to rec.woodworking

Might try YouTube - likely users and company showing.
Martin

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 21 Dec 2017 20:19:19 -0600, Martin Eastburn
wrote:

Might try YouTube - likely users and company showing.

A Youtube video does nothing for me. I can't touch, feel, and *try*
the tool. I can with Festool. They even have workshops for some of
the tools. What about a Mafell is worth twice a Festool (particularly
when they don't have the infrastructure)? I'm not going to find out
from a Youtube video.

Martin

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Might try YouTube - likely users and company showing.

A Youtube video does nothing for me. I can't touch, feel, and *try*
the tool. I can with Festool. They even have workshops for some of
the tools. What about a Mafell is worth twice a Festool (particularly
when they don't have the infrastructure)?

LOL. Tell it! Although I have heard the same about Festool. What
about Festool makes it worth 3~4 times more then PC, Bosch, Milwaukee..
LOL.

I knew someone would say that but I didn't think it would be you! ;-)

When I bought the track saw, I looked at what else was available. The
Festool wasn't all that much more expensive, all in, than the
competition and had a lot more infrastructure (track options,
accessories, and other tools that fit the track). Given that, I
didn't think it "expensive" at all. It's sorta like buying an Apple
or Samsung phone. It's a lot easier buying cases and such, if it's a
popular phone.

This doesn't touch the dust collection issue. Mafell? I have no idea
and there is no way to find out why it's twice a good as Festool.

IIRC Festool was pretty hard to find, in the USA, 15 or so years ago.
I recall Robatoy mentioning the Festool brand to me, he had a Rotex and
steered me towards a YouTube video of a new Festool available in Europe.
That was the Domino. And I had to wait a few years after that to get
one. ;~)

....and the bank account goes downhill after that.