RB

Default reconditioned tool question

I run across a fair number of "factory reconditioned" power tools. I'm
wondering why the factory would end up with a whole bunch of reasonably
current tools to recondition?

Is this sometimes indicative of an inherent problem with that particular
model? If so, does the problem usually get corrected in the reconditioning,
or are you just buying a like new unit with the same old problem?

I'm just trying to figure out if reconditioned tools are good deals or
something to be leary of.

Duane Bozarth

RB wrote:

I run across a fair number of "factory reconditioned" power tools. I'm
wondering why the factory would end up with a whole bunch of reasonably
current tools to recondition?

Is this sometimes indicative of an inherent problem with that particular
model? If so, does the problem usually get corrected in the reconditioning,
or are you just buying a like new unit with the same old problem?

I'm just trying to figure out if reconditioned tools are good deals or
something to be leary of.

Various reasons...many are last year's model, dealer overstock, etc. I
don't know how many are actually just returns from the jokers who buy a
tool for one project and then find/create an excuse to return it to
seller who can't resell it for new.

I've bought several name brand reconditioned hand tools and so far have
never had one I was dissatisfied with. They typically are somewhat of a
bargain, but not necessarily a real steal.

I've also bought almost all PC's, for example, as refurb'ed or
discontinued models where there was no need for the "latest/greatest"
and have also there never had a system that wasn't at least as reliable
as the newest from whomever.

IMO, $0.02, YMMV, etc., ....
borgunit

I agree with Duane. I have purchased refurbed tools for years and have
had less problems with them than new items. I would stick with name
brands though. A refurbed PorterCable is way better than some generic
new.

Edwin Pawlowski

"RB" wrote in message
I run across a fair number of "factory reconditioned" power tools. I'm
wondering why the factory would end up with a whole bunch of reasonably
current tools to recondition?

Is this sometimes indicative of an inherent problem with that particular
model? If so, does the problem usually get corrected in the
reconditioning,
or are you just buying a like new unit with the same old problem?

I'm just trying to figure out if reconditioned tools are good deals or
something to be leary of.

The are fresh from the factory in most cases. Black & Decker sells a lot
through outlets in some Factory Outlet Malls. In order not to **** off the
local retailers by underselling them, they call the items "reconditioned" or
"seconds" or whatever.

RB

OK. Good info. Thanks.