Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What is it? (Amateur version Post #16)

Here is another post in my amateur What is it? tool thread. As usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, size and how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox.
L. Flynn

POST16_TOOL61. This rubber and plastic tool is almost 12 inches long. There are two white rubber disks with metal compression springs behind them. The disks have small protruding tabs. The black plastic levers pull up on the middles of the disks when in the flush position. There is a warning to Check strength prior to each use on the handle. There are also two small openings which show a red or green color. The color changes from red to green when a rubber disk is pressed onto a flat surface and the lever is moved to the flush position.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/20l2xehat3...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

POST16_TOOL62. This wooden and iron tool is a little less than 5 inches long. The metal shaft ends in a threaded screw point. The metal shaft continues from there towards the handle with a sharp-edged spiral in it. The spiral does not complete even one revolution over its 1½ inch length.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8e3jm98lnz...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

POST16_TOOL63. This tool is clearly in the metal pliers family. It is almost 6½ inches long. The handles have a rubbery red plastic coating. One jaw is curved relative to the other leaving a gap when the two meet at the end. The other jaw has a flat surface but has a 1 mm depression for ½ of an inch nearer to the pivot point. Both jaws have small ridges on the inner surfaces running perpendicular to the long axis.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/20idg4x61o...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

POST16_TOOL64. This metal tool is a little less than 3 inches long and a little more than 1 inch across. One end has two dull prongs. There is a name of a business on the tool which has been hidden in the picture.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wx36xw4dq9...ICALL.jpg?dl=0
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 14:27:45 -0800 (PST), Larry Flynn
wrote:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/20l2xehat3...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8e3jm98lnz...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/20idg4x61o...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wx36xw4dq9...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

I'm green-as-grass at these puzzlers and might need repair.
Perhaps I'll pick up my glass and pour myself a gimlet.
The little pliers have me wired.
John T.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 5:27:50 PM UTC-5, Larry Flynn wrote:
Here is another post in my amateur What is it? tool thread. As usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, size and how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox.
L. Flynn

POST16_TOOL61. This rubber and plastic tool is almost 12 inches long. There are two white rubber disks with metal compression springs behind them. The disks have small protruding tabs. The black plastic levers pull up on the middles of the disks when in the flush position. There is a warning to Check strength prior to each use on the handle. There are also two small openings which show a red or green color. The color changes from red to green when a rubber disk is pressed onto a flat surface and the lever is moved to the flush position.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/20l2xehat3...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

Tool for moving solid surface counter tops

POST16_TOOL62. This wooden and iron tool is a little less than 5 inches long. The metal shaft ends in a threaded screw point. The metal shaft continues from there towards the handle with a sharp-edged spiral in it. The spiral does not complete even one revolution over its 1½ inch length.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8e3jm98lnz...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

Gimlet (Hand drill for pre-drilling screw holes, etc)

POST16_TOOL63. This tool is clearly in the metal pliers family. It is almost 6½ inches long. The handles have a rubbery red plastic coating. One jaw is curved relative to the other leaving a gap when the two meet at the end. The other jaw has a flat surface but has a 1 mm depression for ½ of an inch nearer to the pivot point. Both jaws have small ridges on the inner surfaces running perpendicular to the long axis.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/20idg4x61o...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

I got nothing.

POST16_TOOL64. This metal tool is a little less than 3 inches long and a little more than 1 inch across. One end has two dull prongs. There is a name of a business on the tool which has been hidden in the picture.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wx36xw4dq9...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

A tool for removing "something". Used by inserting into 2 holes and
depressing tabs within object. "What that something is", I don't know.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/2/2017 4:27 PM, Larry Flynn wrote:
Here is another post in my amateur What is it? tool thread. As usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, size and how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox.
L. Flynn

POST16_TOOL61. This rubber and plastic tool is almost 12 inches long. There are two white rubber disks with metal compression springs behind them. The disks have small protruding tabs. The black plastic levers pull up on the middles of the disks when in the flush position. There is a warning to Check strength prior to each use on the handle. There are also two small openings which show a red or green color. The color changes from red to green when a rubber disk is pressed onto a flat surface and the lever is moved to the flush position.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/20l2xehat3...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

My dad had these in his bath rub for a secure grab.

POST16_TOOL62. This wooden and iron tool is a little less than 5 inches long. The metal shaft ends in a threaded screw point. The metal shaft continues from there towards the handle with a sharp-edged spiral in it. The spiral does not complete even one revolution over its 1½ inch length.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8e3jm98lnz...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

Gimlit

POST16_TOOL63. This tool is clearly in the metal pliers family. It is almost 6½ inches long. The handles have a rubbery red plastic coating. One jaw is curved relative to the other leaving a gap when the two meet at the end. The other jaw has a flat surface but has a 1 mm depression for ½ of an inch nearer to the pivot point. Both jaws have small ridges on the inner surfaces running perpendicular to the long axis.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/20idg4x61o...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

Stretching plyers

POST16_TOOL64. This metal tool is a little less than 3 inches long and a little more than 1 inch across. One end has two dull prongs. There is a name of a business on the tool which has been hidden in the picture.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wx36xw4dq9...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

Green repair, for repairing divot on a green.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Flynn wrote:

POST16_TOOL63. This tool is clearly in the metal pliers family.
It is almost 6½ inches long. The handles have a rubbery red plastic coating.
One jaw is curved relative to the other leaving a gap when the two meet at the
end. The other jaw has a flat surface but has a 1 mm depression for ½ of an inch
nearer to the pivot point. Both jaws have small ridges on the inner surfaces
running perpendicular to the long axis.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/20idg4x61o...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

breaker-grozier pliers
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Larry Flynn, Iggy wrote:
Leon's got them: 1 - Suction Cup Grab Bar (very light duty). 2 - Gimlet for
drilling. 3 - Grozing Pliers for Stained or Leaded glass work. 4 - Divot
Repair Tool for a golfer.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...16-812690-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 10:44:06 PM UTC-5, Iggy wrote:
replying to Larry Flynn, Iggy wrote:
Leon's got them: 1 - Suction Cup Grab Bar (very light duty). 2 - Gimlet for
drilling. 3 - Grozing Pliers for Stained or Leaded glass work. 4 - Divot
Repair Tool for a golfer.

Ask Ed how he feels about those suction cup grab bars.

What sense does a "light duty grab bar" make? Are they to prevent a "light duty fall"?

(Here we go again.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 20:47:07 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 10:44:06 PM UTC-5, Iggy wrote:
replying to Larry Flynn, Iggy wrote:
Leon's got them: 1 - Suction Cup Grab Bar (very light duty). 2 - Gimlet for
drilling. 3 - Grozing Pliers for Stained or Leaded glass work. 4 - Divot
Repair Tool for a golfer.

Ask Ed how he feels about those suction cup grab bars.

What sense does a "light duty grab bar" make? Are they to prevent a "light duty fall"?

I always wondered why they make 12", 18", 24", and 30" towel bars and
not 16" or 32".

(Here we go again.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to DerbyDad03, Iggy wrote:
They aren't much good. But, if used right as just a stabilizer, then they're
fine. More of a walk up and steady yourself kind of thing. Like, a handrail
for most people on stairs or putting your hand on a table to pick something
up, nothing heavy more of a guide and another point of balance. Calling them
"Grab-Bars" as they do is where the error is in the placebo.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...16-812690-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 9:14:21 AM UTC-5, Iggy wrote:
replying to DerbyDad03, Iggy wrote:
They aren't much good. But, if used right as just a stabilizer, then they're
fine. More of a walk up and steady yourself kind of thing. Like, a handrail
for most people on stairs or putting your hand on a table to pick something
up, nothing heavy more of a guide and another point of balance. Calling them
"Grab-Bars" as they do is where the error is in the placebo.

Here we go again.

Anything that appears to be a safety device will be used as a safety device. When the body
is falling, the brain will tell the hand to grab the bar - forcefully.

The name is not the problem. The potential danger wouldn't suddenly disappear if they labeled
it a Do-Not-Grab-In-An-Emergency-Bar.

A stair rail is not a stabilizer. It's a safety device. How many stairs rails have you seen
attached with suction cups?

The next time I build a 2nd story deck, I won't spend much time securing the railing. After
all, it's just there to stabilize people as they walk near the edge, right?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/2/2017 6:29 PM, Spalted Walt wrote:
Larry Flynn wrote:

POST16_TOOL63. This tool is clearly in the metal pliers family.
It is almost 6½ inches long. The handles have a rubbery red plastic coating.
One jaw is curved relative to the other leaving a gap when the two meet at the
end. The other jaw has a flat surface but has a 1 mm depression for ½ of an inch
nearer to the pivot point. Both jaws have small ridges on the inner surfaces
running perpendicular to the long axis.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/20idg4x61o...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

breaker-grozier pliers

I was thinking grozier pliers but mine have no teeth at all, nor the
curve on one side.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/2/2017 10:47 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 10:44:06 PM UTC-5, Iggy wrote:
replying to Larry Flynn, Iggy wrote:
Leon's got them: 1 - Suction Cup Grab Bar (very light duty). 2 - Gimlet for
drilling. 3 - Grozing Pliers for Stained or Leaded glass work. 4 - Divot
Repair Tool for a golfer.

Ask Ed how he feels about those suction cup grab bars.

What sense does a "light duty grab bar" make? Are they to prevent a "light duty fall"?

(Here we go again.)

The lite duty grab bar has a single action lever to create suction, you
flip it over and you are done. The industrial generally have a piston
that yu pump several times for greater suction.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Iggy wrote:
replying to Larry Flynn, Iggy wrote:
Leon's got them: 1 - Suction Cup Grab Bar (very light duty). 2 - Gimlet for
drilling. 3 - Grozing Pliers for Stained or Leaded glass work. 4 - Divot
Repair Tool for a golfer.

Instead of a grab bar my first thought was a glass puller or pickup
handle.

https://www.amazon.com/Qadira-Premiu...6WVRV7VRTK0MW1

--
G Ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 10:14:35 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 12/2/2017 10:47 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 10:44:06 PM UTC-5, Iggy wrote:
replying to Larry Flynn, Iggy wrote:
Leon's got them: 1 - Suction Cup Grab Bar (very light duty). 2 - Gimlet for
drilling. 3 - Grozing Pliers for Stained or Leaded glass work. 4 - Divot
Repair Tool for a golfer.

Ask Ed how he feels about those suction cup grab bars.

What sense does a "light duty grab bar" make? Are they to prevent a "light duty fall"?

(Here we go again.)

The lite duty grab bar has a single action lever to create suction, you
flip it over and you are done. The industrial generally have a piston
that yu pump several times for greater suction.

And a *real* grab bar screws into the structure. Anything less is a
hazard.
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to DerbyDad03, Iggy wrote:
I'm not disagreeing, I'm just explaining the only thing it's good for. If the
user understands its ability, it'll be useful in that very limited use. Yes,
they exist and shouldn't be portrayed as anything but light duty and
temporary. But, an official grab-bar can't go everywhere and something like
this is very useful for the elderly visiting someone, you can't grab a flat
wall to gently coax yourself through a step-up door.

I use a quite solid one for my Mom when visiting my Brother and she uses a few
others herself daily to steady herself while picking up the mail, operating
the quite heavy sliding door for the cats and getting in and out of the
shower. She's used to it, knows it's only a stabilizer and doesn't lean, hang
or grope for it. It's a point of contact until she's positioned herself for
the task, she knows she's old and must slowdown to be more conscious of her
movements and actions.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...16-812690-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/3/2017 10:10 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 10:14:35 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
On 12/2/2017 10:47 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 10:44:06 PM UTC-5, Iggy wrote:
replying to Larry Flynn, Iggy wrote:
Leon's got them: 1 - Suction Cup Grab Bar (very light duty). 2 - Gimlet for
drilling. 3 - Grozing Pliers for Stained or Leaded glass work. 4 - Divot
Repair Tool for a golfer.

Ask Ed how he feels about those suction cup grab bars.

What sense does a "light duty grab bar" make? Are they to prevent a "light duty fall"?

(Here we go again.)

The lite duty grab bar has a single action lever to create suction, you
flip it over and you are done. The industrial generally have a piston
that yu pump several times for greater suction.

And a *real* grab bar screws into the structure. Anything less is a
hazard.

We use them to hang the squeege and wet wash rages on. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 03 Dec 2017 13:21:47 +0000, Spalted Walt

I always wondered why they make 12", 18", 24", and 30" towel bars and
not 16" or 32".

https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-16-I...dp/B00N4ISX9A/

"Self Adhesive"

What's that about? Totally negates the need.

https://www.amazon.com/Mellewell-Con...dp/B074V361GP/

That's actually not too bad.

https://www.amazon.com/Burton-Harbor...dp/B01JSHCR8S/

Now all I have to do is repair the wall where the previous one has
pulled through.

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Bronze-W...dp/B003GC7GCE/

(Here we go again.)

+1

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 03 Dec 2017 17:14:01 GMT, Iggy
m wrote:

[...]

You're quite wrong (bet you've never been told that before). If she
starts to fall, she *will* grab it for all she's, and it, is worth.
It's a normal reaction that would have to be trained out (a pretty
dumb thing to do).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 12:25:12 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

[...]

Then it's a light duty or portable towel bar. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 12:14:13 PM UTC-5, Iggy wrote:
[...]

Good God! For your *mom*?

I'll pray for her. You should too.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/3/2017 1:25 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/3/2017 10:10 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Leon's got them: 1 - Suction Cup Grab Bar (very light duty). 2 -
Gimlet for
drilling. 3 - Grozing Pliers for Stained or Leaded glass work. 4 -
Divot

Ask Ed how he feels about those suction cup grab bars.

What sense does a "light duty grab bar" make? Are they to prevent a
"light duty fall"?

(Here we go again.)

Here we go again. The ideal is a nice bar properly screwed into a stud.
Not everyone can do that.

The suction cup bars hold rather well. Most times, the person using
them to get in or out of the shower only needs something to steady
themselves. A bent nail would work in many cases, People don't just
use them to hold their body weight, just for the added balance and
security.

Before we remodeled the bathrooms we had the fiberglass surrounds and
used the suction cup bars. They did the intended job. Do you have
kids? Remember when they started to walk? They would walk well just
holding your finger, not needing a tight hand grip. Same idea with the
suction cup bars. They can prevent a fall.

If you can screw in bars, do it. If not, the suction cup bars provide
quite a bit of security.

Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to DerbyDad03, Iggy wrote:
Yeah, delay my overly deserved inheritance...good plan.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...16-812690-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 9:14:05 PM UTC-5, Iggy wrote:
replying to DerbyDad03, Iggy wrote:
Yeah, delay my overly deserved inheritance...good plan.

And there we have it. The ultimate proof that you are a dick.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 8:42:26 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/3/2017 1:25 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/3/2017 10:10 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Leon's got them: 1 - Suction Cup Grab Bar (very light duty). 2 -
Gimlet for
drilling. 3 - Grozing Pliers for Stained or Leaded glass work. 4 -
Divot

Ask Ed how he feels about those suction cup grab bars.

What sense does a "light duty grab bar" make? Are they to prevent a
"light duty fall"?

(Here we go again.)

Here we go again. The ideal is a nice bar properly screwed into a stud.
Not everyone can do that.

The suction cup bars hold rather well. Most times, the person using
them to get in or out of the shower only needs something to steady
themselves. A bent nail would work in many cases, People don't just
use them to hold their body weight,

....until they unexpectedly have to. If it's there, they will use it.

just for the added balance and security.

....until the unexpected happens.

Before we remodeled the bathrooms we had the fiberglass surrounds and
used the suction cup bars. They did the intended job. Do you have
kids? Remember when they started to walk? They would walk well just
holding your finger, not needing a tight hand grip. Same idea with the
suction cup bars. They can prevent a fall.

And if they tripped, they automatically tightened their grip. The difference
is that there was never a chance that my finger was going to come off.

If you can screw in bars, do it. If not, the suction cup bars provide
quite a bit of security.

As well as a hazard.

(Feel free to repeat everything you said the last time we went back and
forth on this. I'll save myself the typing and simply tell you now that
you will *never* convince me that a suction cup grab bar is not an bad
accident waiting to happen..)
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to DerbyDad03, Iggy wrote:
Well, I thought it was funny and she would too.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...16-812690-.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Flynn wrote:

POST16_TOOL63. This tool is clearly in the metal pliers family.
It is almost 6½ inches long. The handles have a rubbery red plastic
coating.
One jaw is curved relative to the other leaving a gap when the two
meet at the
end. The other jaw has a flat surface but has a 1 mm depression for
½ of an inch
nearer to the pivot point. Both jaws have small ridges on the inner
surfaces
running perpendicular to the long axis.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/20idg4x61o...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

breaker-grozier pliers

That makes good sense!

I was thinking grozier pliers but mine have no teeth at all, nor the
curve on one side.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/3/2017 9:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If you can screw in bars, do it. If not, the suction cup bars provide
quite a bit of security.

As well as a hazard.

(Feel free to repeat everything you said the last time we went back and
forth on this. I'll save myself the typing and simply tell you now that
you will *never* convince me that a suction cup grab bar is not an bad
accident waiting to happen..)

I understand that. I believe you have no experience with them either,
but I do.

You are free to feel that no help is better than some fairly good help
to prevent a fall.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 10:16:21 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/3/2017 9:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

If you can screw in bars, do it. If not, the suction cup bars provide
quite a bit of security.

As well as a hazard.

(Feel free to repeat everything you said the last time we went back and
forth on this. I'll save myself the typing and simply tell you now that
you will *never* convince me that a suction cup grab bar is not an bad
accident waiting to happen..)

I understand that. I believe you have no experience with them either,
but I do.

If you think personal experience with suction cup grab bars matters, then you are missing
my point. I'm quite capable of understanding concepts without actual use.

You are free to feel that no help is better than some fairly good help
to prevent a fall.

Here we go again.

Moving on...

Posted to rec.woodworking

OK, you made quick work of these.
Post 16 Tool 61 Double Suction Cup Dent Puller / Glass Remover
Post 16 Tool 62 Gimlet Auger T-Handle Drill
Post 16 Tool 63 Curved-Jaw Glass Breaking Grozing Pliers
Post 16 Tool 64 Divot Replacement Tool
I'll put up another post with four tools next week.
L. Flynn

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Here is another post in my amateur What is it? tool thread. As usual, I will try to answer questions about their composition, size and how they can move. Pictures are provided via Dropbox.
L. Flynn

POST16_TOOL61. This rubber and plastic tool is almost 12 inches long. There are two white rubber disks with metal compression springs behind them. The disks have small protruding tabs. The black plastic levers pull up on the middles of the disks when in the flush position. There is a warning to Check strength prior to each use on the handle. There are also two small openings which show a red or green color. The color changes from red to green when a rubber disk is pressed onto a flat surface and the lever is moved to the flush position.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/20l2xehat3...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

POST16_TOOL62. This wooden and iron tool is a little less than 5 inches long. The metal shaft ends in a threaded screw point. The metal shaft continues from there towards the handle with a sharp-edged spiral in it. The spiral does not complete even one revolution over its 1 inch length.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8e3jm98lnz...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

POST16_TOOL63. This tool is clearly in the metal pliers family. It is almost 6 inches long. The handles have a rubbery red plastic coating. One jaw is curved relative to the other leaving a gap when the two meet at the end. The other jaw has a flat surface but has a 1 mm depression for of an inch nearer to the pivot point. Both jaws have small ridges on the inner surfaces running perpendicular to the long axis.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/20idg4x61o...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

POST16_TOOL64. This metal tool is a little less than 3 inches long and a little more than 1 inch across. One end has two dull prongs. There is a name of a business on the tool which has been hidden in the picture.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wx36xw4dq9...ICALL.jpg?dl=0

61 is one of many suction cup grip devices. First one I ever saw was
a *much* bigger version for pulling up tiles in a raised floor in a
computer center. They are used for moving any number of things with
smooth surfaces - window glass, mirrors, tile, countertops, etc

---