Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default What is it? (Amateur version Post #16)

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 9:14:21 AM UTC-5, Iggy wrote:
replying to DerbyDad03, Iggy wrote:
They aren't much good. But, if used right as just a stabilizer, then they're
fine. More of a walk up and steady yourself kind of thing. Like, a handrail
for most people on stairs or putting your hand on a table to pick something
up, nothing heavy more of a guide and another point of balance. Calling them
"Grab-Bars" as they do is where the error is in the placebo.

Here we go again.

Anything that appears to be a safety device will be used as a safety device. When the body
is falling, the brain will tell the hand to grab the bar - forcefully.

The name is not the problem. The potential danger wouldn't suddenly disappear if they labeled
it a Do-Not-Grab-In-An-Emergency-Bar.

A stair rail is not a stabilizer. It's a safety device. How many stairs rails have you seen
attached with suction cups?

The next time I build a 2nd story deck, I won't spend much time securing the railing. After
all, it's just there to stabilize people as they walk near the edge, right?