Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default What is it? (Amateur version Post #16)

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 8:42:26 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/3/2017 1:25 PM, Leon wrote:
On 12/3/2017 10:10 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Leon's got them: 1 - Suction Cup Grab Bar (very light duty). 2 -
Gimlet for
drilling. 3 - Grozing Pliers for Stained or Leaded glass work. 4 -
Divot

Ask Ed how he feels about those suction cup grab bars.

What sense does a "light duty grab bar" make? Are they to prevent a
"light duty fall"?

(Here we go again.)

Here we go again. The ideal is a nice bar properly screwed into a stud.
Not everyone can do that.

The suction cup bars hold rather well. Most times, the person using
them to get in or out of the shower only needs something to steady
themselves. A bent nail would work in many cases, People don't just
use them to hold their body weight,

....until they unexpectedly have to. If it's there, they will use it.

just for the added balance and security.

....until the unexpected happens.

Before we remodeled the bathrooms we had the fiberglass surrounds and
used the suction cup bars. They did the intended job. Do you have
kids? Remember when they started to walk? They would walk well just
holding your finger, not needing a tight hand grip. Same idea with the
suction cup bars. They can prevent a fall.

And if they tripped, they automatically tightened their grip. The difference
is that there was never a chance that my finger was going to come off.

If you can screw in bars, do it. If not, the suction cup bars provide
quite a bit of security.

As well as a hazard.

(Feel free to repeat everything you said the last time we went back and
forth on this. I'll save myself the typing and simply tell you now that
you will *never* convince me that a suction cup grab bar is not an bad
accident waiting to happen..)