Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Exterior wood filler?

Some critter has been gnawing on the frame surrounding our garage doors.
I'm not replacing the damaged parts, at least until I'm certain the
critter is gone, but I do want a least a cosmetic repair in the
meantime. I recall a discussion of wood fillers a few months back,
maybe while on the subject of window sash repairs? One product was
recommended the most, but my memory has slipped another cog and I do not
recall the product. would some one help me out?

Maybe Bondo Wood filler?
Or Famowood?

https://flic.kr/p/XBKi9d
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Kraus wrote:
Some critter has been gnawing on the frame surrounding our garage
doors. I'm not replacing the damaged parts, at least until I'm certain
the critter is gone, but I do want a least a cosmetic repair in the
meantime. I recall a discussion of wood fillers a few months back,
maybe while on the subject of window sash repairs? One product was
recommended the most, but my memory has slipped another cog and I do
not recall the product. would some one help me out?

Maybe Bondo Wood filler?
Or Famowood?

https://flic.kr/p/XBKi9d

Could it have been this one? I forget whether it is suited for exterior
use, but I like the product.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Durham-s-...-CAN/100184116
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/29/2017 3:53 PM, Larry Kraus wrote:
Some critter has been gnawing on the frame surrounding our garage doors.
I'm not replacing the damaged parts, at least until I'm certain the critter
is gone, but I do want a least a cosmetic repair in the meantime.Â* I recall
a discussion of wood fillers a few months back, maybe while on the subject
of window sash repairs? One product was recommended the most, but my memory
has slipped another cog and I do not recall the product. would some one
help me out?

Maybe Bondo Wood filler?
Or Famowood?

https://flic.kr/p/XBKi9d

'P.C. Woody' works fine but be careful -- in smaller packages they will
charge you far more than what is proportional. Of course if you buy a big
package to save money there is the chance that it will go off before you
can use it all up. This is very hard stuff and when you are done if you
need to nail or screw it will call for a pilot hole. The same company also
sells a water-thin epoxy which is good for reinforcing and sealing
semi-rotted wood.

https://www.amazon.com/PC-Products-P.../dp/B008H4R4WS

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 15:53:26 -0400, Larry Kraus
wrote:

Some critter has been gnawing on the frame surrounding our garage doors.
I'm not replacing the damaged parts, at least until I'm certain the
critter is gone, but I do want a least a cosmetic repair in the
meantime. I recall a discussion of wood fillers a few months back,
maybe while on the subject of window sash repairs? One product was
recommended the most, but my memory has slipped another cog and I do not
recall the product. would some one help me out?

Maybe Bondo Wood filler?
Or Famowood?

https://flic.kr/p/XBKi9d

When the fluffy tree rats chewed the edge of my shed door frame I
capped it with aluminum flashing. That gave their teeth a workout!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, August 29, 2017 at 3:55:27 PM UTC-4, Larry Kraus wrote:
Some critter has been gnawing on the frame surrounding our garage doors.
I'm not replacing the damaged parts, at least until I'm certain the
critter is gone, but I do want a least a cosmetic repair in the
meantime. I recall a discussion of wood fillers a few months back,
maybe while on the subject of window sash repairs? One product was
recommended the most, but my memory has slipped another cog and I do not
recall the product. would some one help me out?

Maybe Bondo Wood filler?
Or Famowood?

https://flic.kr/p/XBKi9d

Not much is good from Minwax anymore, but their two-part epoxy filler works like a charm, when you need the durability and can paint the surface.
It's hard as a golf ball when it dries, so don't over-fill, or you'll leave a hell of a halo of worn wood around the edges from sanding. (Use a block.)

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...ce-wood-filler

On the other hand, depending on how long you're intending to go before replacing, it doesn't sound like you need much of a fix here. May want to try to hit it with the easier ZAR Interior/Exterior wood filler. I believe it's still sold both in tubes & pots.

http://www.zar.com/products/zar-inte...-patch-pds.pdf

Junior Member

Don't know how much damage you have faced. It's better to call pest exterminators, they can come up with the permanent issue. Better to first get purge of critters otherwise they invade again and again to devastate wood and other pieces of equipment.