Posted to alt.home.repair

Default exterior wood filler?

I have a 2x wall plate, whose edge should be flush with the studs. Sad
to say, it's 1/8 to 1/4" back from them. Is there some sort of filler
to bring it up flush, before nailing the sheathing to the plate?

Plan B would be to use screws, then fill w/ expanding foam.

Thanks,
George
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
I have a 2x wall plate, whose edge should be flush with the studs. Sad
to say, it's 1/8 to 1/4" back from them. Is there some sort of filler
to bring it up flush, before nailing the sheathing to the plate?

Plan B would be to use screws, then fill w/ expanding foam.

Thanks,
George
And, Plan C would be to staple 1/4 or 3/8 inch diameter foam backer rod to the wall plate and then install your sheathing. Considering foam backer rod costs half of nothing if you buy it from the construction supply stores and pay cash for it, maybe staple on two or three rows of the stuff.

Then nail to your wall studs, but predrill, counter sink and use flat head stainless steel sheet metal screws to go into the wall plate and tighten them snug by hand.

Alternatively, Plan D would be to staple one string of foam backer rod to the bottom plate, nail to the studs and screw to the plate, thereby compressing the foam backer rod, and then use expanding foam or even a latex caulk to fill the smaller gap under the foam backer rod. You wanna fill that space with something because it's got a tapering width, and bugs instinctively crawl into the smallest places they can fit in when they're not out looking for food. That makes perfect bug-sense because if you've wedged yourself into the smallest gap you can get yourself into, then no bigger bug can crawl in after you and eat you.

Go to google Images and type in "foam backer rod" to see what the stuff looks like.

Or, at least, that's what I'd probably do.

Last edited by nestork : August 26th 12 at 10:40 PM
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 26, 2:46*pm, George wrote:
I have a 2x wall plate, whose edge should be flush with the studs. *Sad
to say, it's 1/8 to 1/4" back from them. *Is there some sort of filler
to bring it up flush, before nailing the sheathing to the plate?

Plan B would be to use screws, then fill w/ expanding foam.

Thanks,
George

just one 2X? just shim
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 26, 2:46*pm, George wrote:
I have a 2x wall plate, whose edge should be flush with the studs. *Sad
to say, it's 1/8 to 1/4" back from them. *Is there some sort of filler
to bring it up flush, before nailing the sheathing to the plate?

Plan B would be to use screws, then fill w/ expanding foam.

Thanks,
George

Take a 2x and slice it up usiing a table saw or portable saw to make
shims. Or maybe you can find some weatherproof material of the
correct thickness.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 15:46:32 -0400, George
wrote:

I have a 2x wall plate, whose edge should be flush with the studs. Sad
to say, it's 1/8 to 1/4" back from them. Is there some sort of filler
to bring it up flush, before nailing the sheathing to the plate?

Plan B would be to use screws, then fill w/ expanding foam.

Thanks,
George

Cedar shims? You can stack two in opposite direction, adjust by
sliding together in one direction or pulling them apart in the other.

You mean to shim ("filler") the plate only?!

Senior Member

I'm wondering why you even need to nail the sheathing to the bottom plate of the wall?

If you're nailing to the studs resting on that bottom plate, what advantage is there in also nailing to the plate? Why not just drive one nail about 3 or 4 inches above the bottom of each stud (to avoid the nails holding the stud to the bottom plate) and the sheathing will be stiff enough not to move.

And then caulk or foam that gap to keep the bugs and weather out.

Last edited by nestork : August 28th 12 at 06:56 AM
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks to all who replied. The particular constrution involved would be
hard (for me) to describe. I'll just leave it that, because of access
constraints, it would be difficult to implement some of the suggestions.
I do think something along the lines of the backer rod + screws might
work. I only sort of knew those existed, and wasn't at all thinking of
them. So, thanks esp for that.

George
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 15:46:32 -0400, George wrote:

I have a 2x wall plate, whose edge should be flush with the studs. Sad
to say, it's 1/8 to 1/4" back from them. Is there some sort of filler
to bring it up flush, before nailing the sheathing to the plate?

Plan B would be to use screws, then fill w/ expanding foam.

Final note: I found what I was looking for - 1/16" thick plastic drywall
shim, from Trim-Tex. Even better, I already had some. I just layered
it to get the different thicknesses I needed.