Sanford Imhoff

Default Unisaw stopped running

Hello all. I have a 10 year old Unisaw with a 1 1/2 horse Delta motor that I
run on 220v. I was resawing a 16/4 beam (cut part way through then flip over
and cut the rest of the way through) when the blade pinched and the motor
stopped running. I had already cut several boards off in this manner so I
thought the motor had overheated. I've let the motor set for an hour to cool
and have pressed the thermal reset but I can't get it to restart. I've
checked for a reset on the motor but don't find one. I've also plugged it
into another 220 outlet that I know to work but nothing there either.

I doesn't smell like anything is burnt. Is there some way to check and rule
out things like a switch, plug, etc. to make sure it isn't the motor? Thanks
for any advice.

Swingman

"Sanford Imhoff" wrote in message

I doesn't smell like anything is burnt. Is there some way to check and

rule
out things like a switch, plug, etc. to make sure it isn't the motor?

Thanks
for any advice.

From past experience it may take a good while for that switch to reset.
Might want to blow everything out real good with your air hose.

.... and make double sure the circuit breaker in your panel did not trip.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Sanford Imhoff

Thanks for the reply, Swingman. When you say, "blow everything out" are you
talking about inside the switch box?

I've been trying to restart it off and on all day to no avail. Would it take
longer than 6-7 hours to reset? I did reset the circuit breaker several
times.

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Sanford Imhoff" wrote in message

I doesn't smell like anything is burnt. Is there some way to check and

rule
out things like a switch, plug, etc. to make sure it isn't the motor?

Thanks
for any advice.

From past experience it may take a good while for that switch to reset.
Might want to blow everything out real good with your air hose.

... and make double sure the circuit breaker in your panel did not trip.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

Swingman

"Sanford Imhoff" wrote in message
Thanks for the reply, Swingman. When you say, "blow everything out" are

you
talking about inside the switch box?

Sorry I can't offer more concrete help. Chances are good it is an electrical
connection problem somewhere. You need to do a thorough check all wiring,
electircal connections, inside the switch box itself, anything you can get
to, etc.

Just like you, I thought I had fried the Unisaw one afternoon and couldn't
start it for the rest of the afternoon. Later that evening, and In
preparation for pulling the motor the next morning, I blew out the switch,
the motor, and everything I could reach with my air compressor and it fired
right up.

I was under the impression that the cause in my case was a stuck reset
switch, probably dust related.

I may be mistaken, but I have a dim recollection of the thermal reset on
some of the Unisaws to be actually inside the switch box itself ... might
want to check there also. Also, it is not unheard of for a switch to go bad
under similar circumstances.

Good luck ... may your fix be as sudden and easy as mine.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04

NoOne N Particular

I had a thermal breaker trip once and I had to press HARD to get it to reset
the first time. Might have had dust in it, but I don't know how it could
have got in there.

Wayne

[...]

David F. Eisan

Hello there,

What brand motor do you have in your Unisaw? Baldor motors have their own
breaker on them that you have to manually reset. It is on the motor itself
where the cord goes into the connection box. It is conviently hidden from
view and you have to feel around for the rubber button.

Do you have a magnetic starter? Pressing stop on most mag starters is how
you reset them (press hard) but not all work that way, sometimes you have to
open the starter an manually press reset.

Did you check your breaker? It may not look thrown, so flip it off then on
to make sure it is indeed on.

Let us know how you make out,

David.

Sanford Imhoff

Thanks for all the replies/advice. Swingman's story is the same as mine and
saved the day. I took your advice of blowing out the switch/receptacle box
and tightening all the electrical connections in the box. I re-assembled
everthing, plugged the cord back in, hit the 'reset' button and it fired
right up!

You all saved the day...not that I'd mind having a 3hp Baldor but the
original has been pretty faithful through some trying times. Even better,
I'm back to work.

Thanks again.

[...]

Herb Robinson

I know this sounds dumb, but when I had a similar problem, after replacing
the switch box etc., finally fixed it by replacing the power cord. I had
been using a 25 foot extension and the extra current caused the power cord
to fail. Like I said, sounds dumb, but this happened two or three years ago
and the problem persisted for several months. Once I replaced the cord,
been fine ever since.

"Swingman" wrote in message

"Sanford Imhoff" wrote in message

I doesn't smell like anything is burnt. Is there some way to check and

rule
out things like a switch, plug, etc. to make sure it isn't the motor?

Thanks
for any advice.

From past experience it may take a good while for that switch to reset.