Posted to rec.woodworking

Default burls for sale

i have couple burls i need to sell if anyone is looking for some burls
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, May 22, 2017 at 10:55:53 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
writes:
i have couple burls i need to sell if anyone is looking for some burls

Hm.. Assuming the lake superior region of northern wisconsin, one might assume that such burls
are softwood; or perhaps Birch or Beech.

Can you post the exact species of burl?

Scott, if you're in Wisconsin, your Craigslist has several offerings.
https://greenbay.craigslist.org/sear...burls&sort=rel

Those listings are of pretty big burls. I don't readily see that large of burls, here in Louisiana, nor that many. About the only burled wood I see is rootball stock.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

writes:
i have couple burls i need to sell if anyone is looking for some burls

Hm.. Assuming the lake superior region of northern wisconsin, one might assume that such burls
are softwood; or perhaps Birch or Beech.

Can you post the exact species of burl?

Scott, if you're in Wisconsin, your Craigslist has several offerings.
https://greenbay.craigslist.org/sear...burls&sort=rel

Sonny, I was just pointing out that the OP didn't provide sufficient
information in his posting, and given he was posting from the Superior
school district, was curious what type of burls he'd find that far north.

I've already procured a few Redwood burl slabs. One coffee-table sized
that I need to find something to do with.

Those listings are of pretty big burls. I don't readily see that large of burls, here in Louisiana, nor that many. About the only burled wood I see is rootball stock.

Ha, you must see different output from that query than I - of the first
seven, three are for finished furniture, one for cork flooring, one for
a record collection and one add for Broadway automotive. Only one lists
burls, and it had no pictures.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 8:10:10 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Sonny, I was just pointing out that the OP didn't provide sufficient
information in his posting,

Yeah, I thought so, too. Since I don't see too much burl, here, either when out in the field or advertised, I was curious about further north.

I've already procured a few Redwood burl slabs. One coffee-table sized
that I need to find something to do with.

Hey, show us some pics. I always like to see everyone's work.

Ha, you must see different output from that query than I -

Apparently I did. Paging down on my viewing, there are 8 pictured listings, but not in the immediate Greenbay area. I did a general search, not just a Greenbay area search. I thought that link would show what I saw.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sonny writes:
On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 8:10:10 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:

Sonny, I was just pointing out that the OP didn't provide sufficient
information in his posting,

Yeah, I thought so, too. Since I don't see too much burl, here, either when out in the field or advertised, I was curious about further north.

I've already procured a few Redwood burl slabs. One coffee-table sized
that I need to find something to do with.

Hey, show us some pics. I always like to see everyone's work.

I don't have pics of the slabs handy, but here's what my Father
build as christmas presents for the kids (three of them, two shown,
all made from a single walnut tree that used to be next to the house).

He also did the den with the cool ceiling (the center has an old
rose window).

http://www.lurndal.org/images/gfclock1.jpg (loads slowly).
Posted to rec.woodworking

That is beautiful work, Scott. Where in WI are you located? We are in Milwaukee area.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, May 25, 2017 at 4:02:08 PM UTC-5, Gramps' shop wrote:
That is beautiful work, Scott.

Yes. Not just the clocks, but the interior work, as well.

Thanks for the pics.
Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Gramps' shop" writes:
That is beautiful work, Scott. Where in WI are you located? We are in Milwaukee area.

I'll pass that along to my Dad, thanks.

While I grew up in the Eau Claire area, and lived in Sun Prairie
for a few years, I'm out on the west coast now. My folks still
spend part of the year (summer) in western Wisconsin, just north of
Prairie du Chien at this cabin: http://www.lurndal.org/images/cabin_front.jpg
which has a great view of Lake Winneshiek.

I remember going to the Safe House[*] in Milwaukee in the 70's, and
saw a couple of Packer and Brewer games at County stadium in the day
(my Dad has some 8mm film of a Braves game that he attended when Hank
was batting).
[*] http://www.safehousechicago.com/chic...aurant/history

Tasmanian Burls and Timbers. Burlman Woodturning 2 October 25th 05 12:24 AM
Sawing Burls M&S Woodworking 2 September 19th 05 11:21 PM
Amboyna and other Burls Burls-Queen Woodworking 0 January 4th 05 03:53 AM
Amboyna, Afzelia, Kati & YaMaNay Burls Burls-Queen Woodworking 0 December 30th 04 06:23 AM
larger burls and chunks? william kossack Woodturning 25 March 15th 04 04:09 AM