Posted to rec.woodworking

Default holy crap, high end furniture assembled with nails everywhere.

I was wrong all these years. I always thought you glued and clamped.
My wife dragged me to this high end store , in a very high end town.

A lot of the furniture was nailed together,some with the nails still
exposed, some plugged with filler.

I have to say I have never seen high end stuff nailed and with the nails
showing both on the outside where the shelves were nailed with a air
nailer and left unfilled. And the right angle corners and face frame had
the nail holes showing. this on a nice looking piece aside from this
distraction.

Another piece had nail holes filled with a non-matching filler...
Drawers were nailed together.

I saw many useless barn door sliding hardware pieces that were over
used, and they didn't roll well.

The price was high for all pieces.

So my wife wanted me to reproduce piece.. I said ****.. no problem it's
just nailed. But I think I'll add glue, and maybe drop the nails..

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 May 2017 18:13:43 -0400, woodchucker
wrote:

[...]

So you'd cheat people out of the nails they've paid for?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 6:13:52 PM UTC-4, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Maybe Norm put the nails there while the glue dried.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 May 2017 17:27:35 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

Well, at least they left some exposed so they'd be easier to pull
after the glue dried.

Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:
I was wrong all these years. I always thought you glued and clamped.
My wife dragged me to this high end store , in a very high end town.

I feel your pain

So my wife wanted me to reproduce piece.. I said ****.. no problem it's
just nailed. But I think I'll add glue, and maybe drop the nails..

and let her know what it's really worth.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 14 May 2017 20:14:55 -0400, clare wrote:

On Sun, 14 May 2017 18:33:10 -0400, wrote:

So you'd cheat people out of the nails they've paid for?

NEVER!!!! I'd glue a box of nails into the corner on the underside- -
- - - -

Nice to see the tradition of solid customer service lives on in the East!

Cheers,
Colin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/14/2017 5:13 PM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Some people are fooled into thinking high priced means high end.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 May 2017 09:01:32 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

[...]

And many more are fooled into thinking "hand made" means quality - -
- -
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

And some people are fooled into thinking that nailed furniture is bad :-)

Quality is in the eye of the beholder, methinks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 5:13:52 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
I was wrong all these years. I always thought you glued and clamped.
My wife dragged me to this high end store , in a very high end town.

A lot of the furniture was nailed together,some with the nails still
exposed, some plugged with filler.

I agree with Leon and cl snyder.ca. Just because something costs a lot of money or is handmade, does not mean its good quality. And on the flip side, because something is nailed does not mean its bad either. Everything is tied together. Materials, construction technique, design. I'll admit to making a box with handcut through dovetails. But it still did not turn out to be a fine piece of work worthy of a museum.
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

I have to say I have never seen high end stuff nailed and with the
nails showing both on the outside where the shelves were nailed with
a air nailer and left unfilled. And the right angle corners and face
frame had the nail holes showing. this on a nice looking piece aside
from this distraction.

if it has nails exposed it is not high end

high price is not high end

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Sure, some even buy from Ikea. Kitchens, no less!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 15 May 2017 12:52:44 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 5:13:52 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
I was wrong all these years. I always thought you glued and clamped.
My wife dragged me to this high end store , in a very high end town.

A lot of the furniture was nailed together,some with the nails still
exposed, some plugged with filler.

I agree with Leon and cl snyder.ca. Just because something costs a lot of money or is handmade, does not mean its good quality. And on the flip side, because something is nailed does not mean its bad either. Everything is tied together. Materials, construction technique, design. I'll admit to making a box with handcut through dovetails. But it still did not turn out to be a fine piece of work worthy of a museum.

I disagree. I can't imagine *any* reason to use nails on furniture.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Probably just a fad. I remember huge pieces of furniture made with 2X6s, 2x8s, and even bigger that were stained nearly black and called "Mediterranean". Doubtful they would have taken credit for it.

I remember when heavy, clear finished pine was the rage, big knots and all.

I remember rustic that was assembled with rusty nails and screws with stripped heads, and defects were very highly prized. The fence guy I had at the time had folks stop by every job to see if they could buy his weathered cedar.

I remember distressed finish furniture. You took a nice piece of furniture with good joinery, and then screwed it up by hitting it with metal junk, laying screws, nails, wire and other crap in the surface and tapping it until it dented the wood. Indentions of screw threads were very highly prized. Then we wiped the damage with two different colors of stain to highlight the damage before top coating.

No doubt in my mind that they exposed nails weren't meant to be any kind of statement of craftsmanship, but just another decorating fad.

Hope it goes away. Looking at that kind of thing is really annoying, even though I know the reason that kind of crap is made.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/16/2017 1:03 AM, wrote:
[...]

And don't forget the Spanish style furniture with the rusted hardware
that is so undersized that it would surely break if used regularly, not
to mention the used motor oil stain. LOL

Kim and I went in to a new model home the other day, the kitchen
cabinets were built with wood that had open defects, face frames, door
frames and raised panels. Literally no part of a board was cut out for
ascetics. Now I will say they were so heavily stained/painted that the
defects were simply deep indentations with no change of color.
Not as bad to look at as you might imagine.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 8:34:57 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

And don't forget the Spanish style furniture with the rusted hardware
that is so undersized that it would surely break if used regularly, not
to mention the used motor oil stain. LOL

Crap, I forgot all about that. We were at ground zero for that since so much came up from Mexico. I actually had a guy that was on a job tell me how they got that look. They left the hinges outside in the weather, banged them up with hammers, and many were actually hand assembled from stamped pieces, so they made sure they were poor fitting. The "finish" was pieces of roofing tar or asphalt dropped into gasoline and where it melted and then was slathered on with a rag.

Kim and I went in to a new model home the other day, the kitchen
cabinets were built with wood that had open defects, face frames, door
frames and raised panels. Literally no part of a board was cut out for
ascetics. Now I will say they were so heavily stained/painted that the
defects were simply deep indentations with no change of color.
Not as bad to look at as you might imagine.

It sounds pretty awful. Rather than to look at that, I think I would rather have a good quality MDF product or a convention that is gaining steam in Europe. MDF carcasses, wood stiles and rails, and then super high density (really stable) doors that are painted a contrasting color.

Robert
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 11:01:34 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Some of you guys are almost making me feel bad...LOL... about some of my pieces and work, but I don't readily sell my pieces. Referencing details of my gun cabinet, with *nails and "distressed areas"- https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

It's made with old salvaged hand hewn boards, so there's lots of nail holes.. Well, this (pic) is the "high-end" (the crown) https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
The curved (inside) center is kerf bent. Old boards, as this, don't steam bend, well, if at all.

From the above pic, scroll left for 1) A "lower end" (inside the upper cabinet), shows details of the shelf and bracing. And 2 & 3) The "lower end" (lower cabinet top). I supposed the holes would gather dust, so I installed old cut nails into these holes. These nails were pulled from old lumber and saved, for just this sort of decor application on this and future projects. Actually, on the gun cabinet, there were so many holes, it looked bad. Filling the holes help the look, a lot, and the nails solution was better than any dedicated filler.

*I'd guess at least 50% of craftsmen, here, slap together projects, for quick sale. There doesn't seem to be much desire, on their part, to improve their poor skills.
*I'm not impressed with many of the pieces display at a recently opened (2 yrs ago) "Paul Michaels". They seem to market to the unknowing, yet wealthy, clientele.
*Shabby-chic painted furniture was the rage not long ago, but that seems to be on the down turn, these days. The furniture they paint are poor examples of good-to-quality pieces, also.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 16 May 2017 12:16:20 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

[...]

Nice size but not nearly enough guns. ;-)

It's made with old salvaged hand hewn boards, so there's lots of nail holes. Well, this (pic) is the "high-end" (the crown) https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
The curved (inside) center is kerf bent. Old boards, as this, don't steam bend, well, if at all.

From the above pic, scroll left for 1) A "lower end" (inside the upper cabinet), shows details of the shelf and bracing. And 2 & 3) The "lower end" (lower cabinet top). I supposed the holes would gather dust, so I installed old cut nails into these holes. These nails were pulled from old lumber and saved, for just this sort of decor application on this and future projects. Actually, on the gun cabinet, there were so many holes, it looked bad. Filling the holes help the look, a lot, and the nails solution was better than any dedicated filler.

The shelf and bracing are pretty neat. Nice overall!

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

You got flying beaver down there?

It's made with old salvaged hand hewn boards, so there's lots of nail holes. Well, this (pic) is the "high-end" (the crown) https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
The curved (inside) center is kerf bent. Old boards, as this, don't steam bend, well, if at all.

From the above pic, scroll left for 1) A "lower end" (inside the upper cabinet), shows details of the shelf and bracing. And 2 & 3) The "lower end" (lower cabinet top). I supposed the holes would gather dust, so I installed old cut nails into these holes. These nails were pulled from old lumber and saved, for just this sort of decor application on this and future projects. Actually, on the gun cabinet, there were so many holes, it looked bad. Filling the holes help the look, a lot, and the nails solution was better than any dedicated filler.

*I'd guess at least 50% of craftsmen, here, slap together projects, for quick sale. There doesn't seem to be much desire, on their part, to improve their poor skills.
*I'm not impressed with many of the pieces display at a recently opened (2 yrs ago) "Paul Michaels". They seem to market to the unknowing, yet wealthy, clientele.
*Shabby-chic painted furniture was the rage not long ago, but that seems to be on the down turn, these days. The furniture they paint are poor examples of good-to-quality pieces, also.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 7:48:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Nice size but not nearly enough guns. ;-)

Yeah. I had just brought it to the camp and there were only BB guns available for display.

The shelf and bracing are pretty neat. Nice overall!

That adjustable bracing technique was copied from a 1800s china cabinet, the cabinet maker's name I don't recall, at the moment. When I first saw that bracing technique, I was impressed with its simplicity. It accommodated the un-planed boards, more so, than other types of "exacting" shelf bracing, and went well with the "hand built" or more rustic (no conventional hardware) theme.

Thanks.

Sonny

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 10:47:49 PM UTC-5, wrote:

You got flying beaver down there?

LOL. No, but we got rats and mice. Though you can't see it very well, there are matching notches on the bottom edge/style of the cabinet and I purposely incorporated and "aligned" the similar notches, that way.

These salvaged boards were the roofing furring boards, that the wood shingles were nailed to, hence, an odd place for mouse or rat chewed notches. Other boards, from that old house, seemed to have been second hand boards (previously salvaged), as well. The notches may have been gnawed when in their previous structure.

This design element went well, with the overall desired & purposeful primitive build and look.

I removed the drawers, from the lower cabinet, since they functioned poorly (too small). I installed an interior bottom-shelf and have made doors. I've looked for appropriate hinges, but I may try to make hinges, using some copper sheeting, I have handy. Copper hinges would match the copper tubing door handles (previously the drawer handles).

Sonny