View Single Post
  #22   Report Post  
Posted to rec.woodworking
external usenet poster

Default holy crap, high end furniture assembled with nails everywhere.

On Tue, 16 May 2017 12:16:20 -0700 (PDT), Sonny
wrote:

On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 11:01:34 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at 8:34:57 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

And don't forget the Spanish style furniture with the rusted hardware
that is so undersized that it would surely break if used regularly, not
to mention the used motor oil stain. LOL

Crap, I forgot all about that. We were at ground zero for that since so much came up from Mexico. I actually had a guy that was on a job tell me how they got that look. They left the hinges outside in the weather, banged them up with hammers, and many were actually hand assembled from stamped pieces, so they made sure they were poor fitting. The "finish" was pieces of roofing tar or asphalt dropped into gasoline and where it melted and then was slathered on with a rag.

Kim and I went in to a new model home the other day, the kitchen
cabinets were built with wood that had open defects, face frames, door
frames and raised panels. Literally no part of a board was cut out for
ascetics. Now I will say they were so heavily stained/painted that the
defects were simply deep indentations with no change of color.
Not as bad to look at as you might imagine.

It sounds pretty awful. Rather than to look at that, I think I would rather have a good quality MDF product or a convention that is gaining steam in Europe. MDF carcasses, wood stiles and rails, and then super high density (really stable) doors that are painted a contrasting color.

Robert

Some of you guys are almost making me feel bad...LOL... about some of my pieces and work, but I don't readily sell my pieces. Referencing details of my gun cabinet, with *nails and "distressed areas"- https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...in/photostream

Nice size but not nearly enough guns. ;-)

It's made with old salvaged hand hewn boards, so there's lots of nail holes. Well, this (pic) is the "high-end" (the crown) https://www.flickr.com/photos/438361...posted-public/
The curved (inside) center is kerf bent. Old boards, as this, don't steam bend, well, if at all.

From the above pic, scroll left for 1) A "lower end" (inside the upper cabinet), shows details of the shelf and bracing. And 2 & 3) The "lower end" (lower cabinet top). I supposed the holes would gather dust, so I installed old cut nails into these holes. These nails were pulled from old lumber and saved, for just this sort of decor application on this and future projects. Actually, on the gun cabinet, there were so many holes, it looked bad. Filling the holes help the look, a lot, and the nails solution was better than any dedicated filler.

The shelf and bracing are pretty neat. Nice overall!