Posted to rec.woodworking

Default THANK YOU (Help sawing straight)

THANK YOU, THANK YOU Group.
Purchased new 6-1/2" blade (Irwin).
Solved all my problems. Cut jig and subsequently made 9 full length cuts in 1-1/8" plywood for my stair treads (10-1/8" wide)
What a difference a sharp blade makes!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 5 Apr 2017 13:47:48 -0700 (PDT), Ivan Vegvary
wrote:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU Group.
Purchased new 6-1/2" blade (Irwin).
Solved all my problems. Cut jig and subsequently made 9 full length cuts in 1-1/8" plywood for my stair treads (10-1/8" wide)
What a difference a sharp blade makes!

Tools don't make the man, but bad ones can sure unmake the man!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU Group.
Purchased new 6-1/2" blade (Irwin).
Solved all my problems. Cut jig and subsequently made 9 full length cuts in 1-1/8" plywood for my stair treads (10-1/8" wide)
What a difference a sharp blade makes!

Make sure you install it in the right direction, too. DAMHIKT
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

THANK YOU, THANK YOU Group.
Purchased new 6-1/2" blade (Irwin).
Solved all my problems. Cut jig and subsequently made 9 full length cuts in 1-1/8" plywood for my stair treads (10-1/8" wide)
What a difference a sharp blade makes!

AWESOME! Thanks for the feedback.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at 4:47:50 PM UTC-4, Ivan Vegvary wrote:
THANK YOU, THANK YOU Group.
Purchased new 6-1/2" blade (Irwin).
Solved all my problems. Cut jig and subsequently made 9 full length cuts in 1-1/8" plywood for my stair treads (10-1/8" wide)
What a difference a sharp blade makes!

Perhaps you should post your solution in the original thread. You know, sort of close it out for
anyone who comes across that thread later on.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 2:16:05 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

FWIW a siding and or steel building fabricators will use a carbide blade
backwards to get a smoother cut.

Quit hanging around with that kind of contractor!

Seriously, there are a lot better solutions than the old backwards blade trick. It doesn't work well with carbide blades anyway. At least not as well as when we did that with steel blades.

This is today's solution. Note that they aren't any more expensive that a moderately priced carbide blade for wood cutting:

Non ferrous: https://goo.gl/Ts0VS7

Ferrous: https://goo.gl/vBJdUq

They make blades that will dry cut ferrous materials up to 16 gauge! That's pushing 1/8". I actually discovered those a few years ago when a friend of mine told me that he had seen a show on barbecuing where there was a segment on making a pit from a propane tank. He told me he saw a guy "with a Skilsaw cutting a tank in two". He bought one of the blades and it chewed right through a propane tank!

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/6/2017 3:15 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 2:16:05 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

FWIW a siding and or steel building fabricators will use a carbide blade
backwards to get a smoother cut.

Quit hanging around with that kind of contractor!

LOL..

I think I saw that on TOH.

Seriously, there are a lot better solutions than the old backwards blade trick. It doesn't work well with carbide blades anyway. At least not as well as when we did that with steel blades.

This is today's solution. Note that they aren't any more expensive that a moderately priced carbide blade for wood cutting:

Non ferrous:
https://goo.gl/Ts0VS7

Ferrous: https://goo.gl/vBJdUq

They make blades that will dry cut ferrous materials up to 16 gauge! That's pushing 1/8". I actually discovered those a few years ago when a friend of mine told me that he had seen a show on barbecuing where there was a segment on making a pit from a propane tank. He told me he saw a guy "with a Skilsaw cutting a tank in two". He bought one of the blades and it chewed right through a propane tank!

Robert

Help, sawing straight Ivan Vegvary[_2_] Woodworking 22 April 7th 17 05:37 PM
sawing oak Jim K[_3_] UK diy 11 July 2nd 12 04:03 PM
Sawing with one eye MJ[_5_] Woodworking 17 August 30th 11 08:21 PM
Sawing with one eye Joe Woodworking 0 August 25th 11 10:10 PM
sawing a lot of AL Karl Townsend Metalworking 6 July 7th 05 01:32 AM