Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default THANK YOU (Help sawing straight)

On 4/6/2017 3:15 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, April 6, 2017 at 2:16:05 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

FWIW a siding and or steel building fabricators will use a carbide blade
backwards to get a smoother cut.

Quit hanging around with that kind of contractor!

LOL..

I think I saw that on TOH.

Seriously, there are a lot better solutions than the old backwards blade trick. It doesn't work well with carbide blades anyway. At least not as well as when we did that with steel blades.

This is today's solution. Note that they aren't any more expensive that a moderately priced carbide blade for wood cutting:

Non ferrous:
https://goo.gl/Ts0VS7

Ferrous: https://goo.gl/vBJdUq

They make blades that will dry cut ferrous materials up to 16 gauge! That's pushing 1/8". I actually discovered those a few years ago when a friend of mine told me that he had seen a show on barbecuing where there was a segment on making a pit from a propane tank. He told me he saw a guy "with a Skilsaw cutting a tank in two". He bought one of the blades and it chewed right through a propane tank!

Robert