Posted to rec.woodworking

Default how many trees have you planted

we all consume wood but how many trees have you planted

indirectly by letting the jays do their work it is at about 4 to 5 trees
for me

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/12/2017 8:21 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

we all consume wood but how many trees have you planted

indirectly by letting the jays do their work it is at about 4 to 5 trees
for me

At least 6 that I dug holes for.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 12 Mar 2017 21:00:28 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3/12/2017 8:21 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

we all consume wood but how many trees have you planted

indirectly by letting the jays do their work it is at about 4 to 5 trees
for me

At least 6 that I dug holes for.

I've dug holes for more than that just at this house. Have zero to
show for it, though. The deer like cherry, too. :-( Damned things
love rose bushes too!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/12/2017 8:21 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

we all consume wood but how many trees have you planted

indirectly by letting the jays do their work it is at about 4 to 5 trees
for me

Started in 1998 with 5.6 acres, about 2 acres wooded along the creek,
the rest former farm field.

Ordered seedlings from the state, ~125 white pine, 25 black cherry, 25
tulip poplar, 25 rugosa rose bushes. They arrived in two letter sized
manila envelopes. Most have survived, pines are about 50ft tall, 8"-12"
at the base, poplars and cherries are about 45 feet tall. The roses
struggled for five years and died - I planted them in too much shade.
One acre became house, drive, and lawn. Stopped mowing a strip of 80 to
100 feet next to the woods. Remainder planted in tall grasses and
wildflowers, mowed annually. Some unknown neighbor bitched about "weeds"
until I proved to county zoning I had no "noxious" weeds on property -
three times. Planted a row of Black Tupelo trees and hazelnut bushes
along the road to block the view and keep the neighbors quiet. Now, they
form a wall too thick to walk through. The un-mowed strip along the
woods is now full of trees, 10-30ft tall: sycamore, maple, catalpa,
basswood, yew, black locust, birch and more. That plant succession stuff
they taught in grade school is true! I quit planting trees when I saw
how many started on their own.

I made some walking trails and the place looks like the nature preserves
the state runs. High school kids come by to take yearbook pictures.
Township charity sold calendars with pictures of the flower field.

Saw one couple sneak back at dusk and disappear in the wild flowers.
Since they did not ask permission, I did not feel obligated to warn them
about the poison ivy growing under the flower leaves

I stuck about 30 acorns in various spots about 7 years ago. The white
oaks are now 1 to 4 feet tall.

Also planted an orchard with a dozen apple trees.

Planting trees is not hard. Just takes time and patience.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/12/17 7:21 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

we all consume wood but how many trees have you planted

indirectly by letting the jays do their work it is at about 4 to 5
trees for me

The companies I buy lumber from have planted millions of trees.
They have planted far more trees for the money and effort than I ever
could.
I prefer to leave those things up to those who do it best and most
efficiently.

I eat a lot of hamburgers, too. I have yet to raise a cow, slaughter,
butcher, and grind it up either. Nor have I any intention of doing so
since the people who already do it are so much better at it that I am...
or ever could hope to be.

I use a lot of gasoline, too. I have never drilled for oil, nor refined
it into gasoline, not will I ever do so since the people who already do
it are so good and efficient at it and I could never hope to do it as
good as they do and for cheaper than I could buy it at the pump.

I use a lot of nails and other fasteners, too. See where this is going?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote in news

[...]

I see where this is going, but I've got to ask...
Have you ever been mad enough to chew iron and spit nails?

Might come in handy when you're inevitably 1 or 2 short.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/13/2017 2:33 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
-MIKE- wrote in news

[...]

Never have but on occasion I have **** fire to save the matches. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/13/17 2:33 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
-MIKE- wrote in news

[...]

Only after eating my spinach. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

At least 6 that I dug holes for.

reminds me of some that i have dug holes for but would not really
ever be used for wood projects

that adds at least 5 more to mmy total

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote in newsa4ogv$r4v$1
@dont-email.me:

we all consume wood but how many trees have you planted

Counting or not counting coconut palms?

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 13 Mar 2017 07:33:01 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

-MIKE- wrote in news

[...]

One or two nails short of a full pound?
Posted to rec.woodworking

we all consume wood but how many trees have you planted
indirectly by letting the jays do their work it is at about 4 to 5 trees
for me ... Electric Comet

Regarding trees...
https://vimeo.com/spokenimage/movingthegiants