Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Kickback

You know how you should always stand beside the blade and not behind it?
And when you make a cut where there will be a little offcut, you set it up
so it's on the free side of the blade?

That saved me from injury the other night. I made one mistake: I didn't
use a zero clearance insert on the cut, a 45 degree angle cut in plywood.
The thin spear fell slightly between the blade and insert and was picked up
by the blade and thrown backwards. It was there and then it wasn't!

I found the spear had punched its way through a air fitting package (not
the fitting, just the thin plastic package) and stopped about 10" after it
exited the other side.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 25/01/2017 5:01 @wiz, Puckdropper wrote:
You know how you should always stand beside the blade and not behind it?
And when you make a cut where there will be a little offcut, you set it up
so it's on the free side of the blade?

That saved me from injury the other night. I made one mistake: I didn't
use a zero clearance insert on the cut, a 45 degree angle cut in plywood.
The thin spear fell slightly between the blade and insert and was picked up
by the blade and thrown backwards. It was there and then it wasn't!

I found the spear had punched its way through a air fitting package (not
the fitting, just the thin plastic package) and stopped about 10" after it
exited the other side.

Puckdropper

Yikes! That was close!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
You know how you should always stand beside the blade and not behind it?
And when you make a cut where there will be a little offcut, you set it up
so it's on the free side of the blade?

That saved me from injury the other night.

Congratulations! Take care!

Bill

I made one mistake: I didn't
use a zero clearance insert on the cut, a 45 degree angle cut in plywood.
The thin spear fell slightly between the blade and insert and was picked up
by the blade and thrown backwards. It was there and then it wasn't!

I found the spear had punched its way through a air fitting package (not
the fitting, just the thin plastic package) and stopped about 10" after it
exited the other side.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
You know how you should always stand beside the blade and not behind it?
And when you make a cut where there will be a little offcut, you set it up
so it's on the free side of the blade?

That saved me from injury the other night. I made one mistake: I didn't
use a zero clearance insert on the cut, a 45 degree angle cut in plywood.
The thin spear fell slightly between the blade and insert and was picked up
by the blade and thrown backwards. It was there and then it wasn't!

I found the spear had punched its way through a air fitting package (not
the fitting, just the thin plastic package) and stopped about 10" after it
exited the other side.

Puckdropper

Glad it turned out OK. I've found that being lucky is as good as
being smart sometimes. I never saw a 45 deg. zero clearance insert.
Guess if I cut a lot of 45's I would think about making one.

--
GW Ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, January 25, 2017 at 7:36:56 AM UTC-5, G. Ross wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

Congratulations on the fortunate results...I am trying to think how I would fabricate a 45 degree zero clearance insert...seems to me it might make sense to make more than one, as the height of the blade dictates both the location and size of the slot...at least on my table saw it would...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"G. Ross" wrote:

Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...zero-clearance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgh1Hqg1LY8

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2017 12:01 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
You know how you should always stand beside the blade and not behind it?
And when you make a cut where there will be a little offcut, you set it up
so it's on the free side of the blade?

That saved me from injury the other night. I made one mistake: I didn't
use a zero clearance insert on the cut, a 45 degree angle cut in plywood.
The thin spear fell slightly between the blade and insert and was picked up
by the blade and thrown backwards. It was there and then it wasn't!

I found the spear had punched its way through a air fitting package (not
the fitting, just the thin plastic package) and stopped about 10" after it
exited the other side.

Puckdropper

Glad you were not hurt!

But truthfully anywhere on that side of the saw can be a risk. I was
cutting wooden lattice down from 4' to 3'. One of the little pieces
that was not securely stapled came back at a 45 degree and and nailed me.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2017 6:36 AM, G. Ross wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

45 Degree "angle", not 45 degree bevel.

BUT my saw stop came with a closed insert, I would not say zero but very
close to zero. Anyway you can tilt the blade and not damage it or the
insert. It has a 45 degree relief on the bottom side.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2017-01-25, Noons wrote:

I found the spear [...] stopped about 10" after it
exited the other side.

Jes like the movie I saw in jr high. Only, in the movie, the guy's
intestines were wrapped around the spear.

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in
:

[...]

Good point. The area in front of the blade is definitely the red zone,
extreme danger. The areas on either side would be orange zones: still
dangerous, just not as likely to be hit.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/25/2017 1:01 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
You know how you should always stand beside the blade and not behind it?
And when you make a cut where there will be a little offcut, you set it up
so it's on the free side of the blade?

That saved me from injury the other night. I made one mistake: I didn't
use a zero clearance insert on the cut, a 45 degree angle cut in plywood.
The thin spear fell slightly between the blade and insert and was picked up
by the blade and thrown backwards. It was there and then it wasn't!

I found the spear had punched its way through a air fitting package (not
the fitting, just the thin plastic package) and stopped about 10" after it
exited the other side.

Puckdropper

Glad your ok.
I picked up a leather welding apron at HF years ago. I use it sometimes
in the shop. Wish I had kept that one for WW only, and didn't dirty it
up welding and grinding. The new ones are not as nice.

But the leather I hope will slow or prevent a puncture if it ever
happens. Just have to start using it again. Because **** HAPPENS.

--
Jeff

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 25 Jan 2017 07:36:58 -0500, "G. Ross"
wrote:

Puckdropper wrote:
[...]

No, people make their own luck. This case is a perfect example.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/28/2017 9:19 AM, Brewster wrote:
On 1/25/17 6:06 AM, wrote:

Congratulations on the fortunate results...I am trying to think how I
would fabricate a 45 degree zero clearance insert...seems to me it
might make sense to make more than one, as the height of the blade
dictates both the location and size of the slot...at least on my table
saw it would...

I made one for my saw, definitely a worthwhile addition.

Problems are you can't push down the insert on the fully retracted blade
like you do with a standard insert (my blade sits only about 1/4" below
the surface when fully retracted and my inserts are 1/2" BB ply).

I ended up installing an 8" dado blade side cutter to get the insert
installed and the bevel cut started. I then put in my 10" blade and
finished cutting through the insert.

As others have mentioned here, don't try to return your blade to 90
degrees while the 45 degree insert is still installed, you'll bend your
blade 8^)

-BR

SawStop has a bevel at the bottom and opposite side of the blade bevel
tilt direction on their zero clearance insert.

I wonder if you could make one by simply making a zero clearance insert
in the traditional manner but lowering the blade so that the teeth are
just at the top of the insert and then tilting the blade "while the saw
is running".

You would have raise the blade multiple times as you progressed through
the bevel but that should only take a few minutes.

If your saw is set up correctly the center of the blade pivot should be
at the surface of the table. The SawStop zero insert can be used at
any angle.

Saw Kickback Red Green Home Repair 0 February 7th 09 03:57 AM
Saw Kickback Tom Kendrick Home Repair 1 February 7th 09 02:26 AM
Saw Kickback tom Home Repair 1 February 6th 09 11:13 PM
It got me. -Kickback Stoutman Woodworking 29 June 4th 07 08:40 PM
Kickback rich Woodworking 29 March 12th 06 11:00 PM