Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Saw Kickback

The kickback depends on how the blade/chain meets the surface. When
saw chain on the long part of the bar pinches, you may get a healthy
pushback. However, when plunge cutting, if the nose of the bar
contacts the surface, the whole bar will swing up rapidly since the
chain moves DOWN at that point. One of the reasons plunge cutting is
so hazardous.

For circular saws, the problem is that they are already close to your
legs and hands. They don't have to go far to bite you. Carpenters do
remove or pin back the guard, leaving the blade in the air with the
saw upside down. Most saws don't have a blade brake, so they are still
spinning after the trigger is released.
Do NOT cut a board laid across your knee. More than the board might
get cut.

Tom

On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 14:42:56 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Fortunately I have not experienced circular saw kickback or chain
saw. I have read about it and I am wondering how strong it is,
though. I know the answer probably depends on the HP of the saw, the
material being cut, user posture and strength, etc. Is the force
imparted so strong that a reasonably healthy guy would still be able
to hold onto the saw (with two hands) or does the saw simply go flying
out of your hands?

Thanks,
Tim

Posted to alt.home.repair

I was helping my inexperienced Bro-in-law with some remodeling and he kept
placing his foot right behind the saw where he was cutting. Finally I took
the saw, placed a loaf of bread behind it and faked a kickback. Had enough
bread crumbs to stuff the turkey, but he finally understood what I meant!
Keep all body parts away from the saw in anyway it or the stock being cut
might fly - to the front, back, or up.

He also had a tendency to want to hold both ends of the piece he was
cutting - foot on one piece hand on the other end. That's a sure recipe for
kick back as it easily binds the blade...

Saw Kickback tom Home Repair 1 February 6th 09 11:13 PM
It got me. -Kickback Stoutman Woodworking 29 June 4th 07 08:40 PM
Kickback rich Woodworking 29 March 12th 06 11:00 PM
Amazing kickback! Toller Woodworking 31 December 14th 05 02:09 AM
Your kickback experience Mike W. Woodworking 50 November 9th 05 07:02 PM