Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Saw Kickback

"James D" wrote in
:

wrote in message
.
..
Fortunately I have not experienced circular saw kickback or chain
saw. I have read about it and I am wondering how strong it is,
though. I know the answer probably depends on the HP of the saw, the
material being cut, user posture and strength, etc. Is the force
imparted so strong that a reasonably healthy guy would still be able
to hold onto the saw (with two hands) or does the saw simply go
flying out of your hands?

The first time I ever seen kick back, was in Jr. High shop class.

One fella was leaning over the stock area, looking for a piece of
wood. Another guy was ripping on a table saw. It shot that wood out &
hit the guy square in the rump, he fell into the wood pile. I started
laughing, & this was back when they paddled kids. That shop teacher
gave me 3 swats with that damn paddle for laughing! True story!

The wood tore the guys pants, cut his leg open, and he broke his
glasses when he fell into the wood pile. I think what was injured the
most, was his pride.

Similar. In H.S. and someone was ripping a piece. Don't remember details.
May have had narrow piece between fence and blade or something.
Fortunately he was standing aside the saw rear. Piece shot back to back
of shop where lathes were. Hit piece spinning. That goes into shop orbit.

That was in the late 60's though. Whole thing may have been a
hallucination. In reality, I could have been sitting in a parking lot and
a couple of birds just flew over.

Saw Kickback Tom Kendrick Home Repair 1 February 7th 09 02:26 AM
Saw Kickback tom Home Repair 1 February 6th 09 11:13 PM
It got me. -Kickback Stoutman Woodworking 29 June 4th 07 08:40 PM
Kickback rich Woodworking 29 March 12th 06 11:00 PM
Your kickback experience Mike W. Woodworking 50 November 9th 05 07:02 PM