Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Have You Ever Measured Your 48" T-Square?

I have 2 Drywall T Squares, made by 2 different companies. Neither
of them is actually 48". One is 1/8" short, the other is shy by 3/16".

The problem isn't the side with the markings that start at "0" by the T
and end at 47 7/8", it's the side with the markings that start at "0" at
the end away from the T and end at 48" at the T. That first 1" marking,
(which is directly opposite the 47" marking) isn't at 1" from the end,
so none of markings on that side are accurate.

Now, I know that a Drywall T Square is not meant to be a precision
measurement device and I know how to "shift an inch" to compensate
for the incorrect marking, but I wonder why they bother to mark
the inaccurate side in the first place. If you want markings on both
sides, just start both sides at "0" by the T so that the markings line
up and are accurate.

Seems like they could just make the T squares a true 48" and eliminate
the problem. Maybe they do...both of mine were bought at the borg but
they were bought 20 years apart, so it's not a new issue.

Not a big problem, just an observation.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I think you just have bad luck. I have a Johnson T square for drywall. I just measured it and it measures 48". Seems to have the right markings written on it also.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 7:36:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I think you just have bad luck. I have a Johnson T square for drywall. I just measured it and it measures 48". Seems to have the right markings written on it also.

I don't know if it's luck or the brand(s). I posted the same thing in another group and had others
tell me that their squares were also shorter than 48€œ.

No biggy. In fact, I just cut one of mine down to 42€œ so it's really short now.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 20:50:02 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 7:36:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I think you just have bad luck. I have a Johnson T square for drywall. I just measured it and it measures 48". Seems to have the right markings written on it also.

I don't know if it's luck or the brand(s). I posted the same thing in another group and had others
tell me that their squares were also shorter than 48“.

No biggy. In fact, I just cut one of mine down to 42“ so it's really short now.

My Johnson is 48" long, if you believe my tape measure. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 7:36:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I think you just have bad luck. I have a Johnson T square for drywall.. I just measured it and it measures 48". Seems to have the right markings written on it also.

I don't know if it's luck or the brand(s). I posted the same thing in another group and had others
tell me that their squares were also shorter than 48€œ.

No biggy. In fact, I just cut one of mine down to 42€œ so it's really short now.

My Johnson is 48" long, if you believe my tape measure. ;-)

They say size doesn't matter, but 48" probably would.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Thursday, October 13, 2016 at 7:36:45 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I think you just have bad luck. I have a Johnson T square for drywall.

I just measured it and it measures 48". Seems to have the right
markings written on it also.

I don't know if it's luck or the brand(s). I posted the same thing in another group and had others
tell me that their squares were also shorter than 48€œ.

No biggy. In fact, I just cut one of mine down to 42€œ so it's really short now.

My Johnson is 48" long, if you believe my tape measure. ;-)

They say size doesn't matter, but 48" probably would.

Then the question begs, is it square?

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10/15/2016 10:47 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Saturday, October 15, 2016 at 8:16:03 PM UTC-4, krw wrote:

My Johnson is 48" long, if you believe my tape measure. ;-)

They say size doesn't matter, but 48" probably would.

So much for closeness ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net