Posted to rec.woodworking

Default kickback aprons

reading some old safety manuals they mentioned something i had not ever
heard of

this was working with a table saw or saw bench

they recommended a kick back apron
not a bad idea really it does happen once in a while still

well of course they recommended goggles too and safety shoes

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 16:57:24 -0700, Electric Comet
wrote:

reading some old safety manuals they mentioned something i had not ever
heard of

this was working with a table saw or saw bench

they recommended a kick back apron
not a bad idea really it does happen once in a while still

well of course they recommended goggles too and safety shoes

Why not stand out of the way?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

reading some old safety manuals they mentioned something i had not ever
heard of

this was working with a table saw or saw bench

they recommended a kick back apron
not a bad idea really it does happen once in a while still

well of course they recommended goggles too and safety shoes

Why not stand out of the way?

While I never heard of a kickback apron, I found a picture of one at
this URL.

http://www.kcma.org/Uploads/file/Tab...ty%20Final.ppt

Personally seeing pictures of boards stuck in the wall and other places,
I am not about to wear a kickback apron, and stand where I can get hit
if there is a Kickback.

I thing the best advice to protect yourself form kick back is always
stand at the side of the saw where any flying projectiles will not hit you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

reading some old safety manuals they mentioned something i had not ever
heard of

this was working with a table saw or saw bench

they recommended a kick back apron
not a bad idea really it does happen once in a while still

well of course they recommended goggles too and safety shoes

Why not stand out of the way?

While I never heard of a kickback apron, I found a picture of one at
this URL.

http://www.kcma.org/Uploads/file/Tab...ty%20Final.ppt

Personally seeing pictures of boards stuck in the wall and other places,
I am not about to wear a kickback apron, and stand where I can get hit
if there is a Kickback.

I had it happen a couple of times with my RAS, thought not with my TS.
I think part of the problem is the power (more isn't necessarily bad).

I thing the best advice to protect yourself form kick back is always
stand at the side of the saw where any flying projectiles will not hit you.

+1

I stand on the other side of the fence when I'm ripping.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

reading some old safety manuals they mentioned something i had not ever
heard of

this was working with a table saw or saw bench

they recommended a kick back apron
not a bad idea really it does happen once in a while still

well of course they recommended goggles too and safety shoes

Why not stand out of the way?

While I never heard of a kickback apron, I found a picture of one at
this URL.

http://www.kcma.org/Uploads/file/Tab...ty%20Final.ppt

Personally seeing pictures of boards stuck in the wall and other places,
I am not about to wear a kickback apron, and stand where I can get hit
if there is a Kickback.

I thing the best advice to protect yourself form kick back is always
stand at the side of the saw where any flying projectiles will not hit you.

I have a leather apron just in case.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/26/2016 8:59 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I thing the best advice to protect yourself form kick back is always
stand at the side of the saw where any flying projectiles will not hit you.

That, and prevention ... use a splitter/riving knife.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

John McCoy wrote in
:

Sometimes a knot or something comes flying out at an odd
angle, so "out of the way" isn't something you can totally
plan.

Very true. And I'll take this as an opportunity to once again plug for the use of face shields
instead of safety glasses: your eyes are not the only things on your face that are worth
protecting.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-07-27, Doug Miller wrote:

instead of safety glasses: your eyes are not the only things on your
face that are worth protecting.

Agree. A buddy almost got sued fer allowing another buddy to use his
Baldor grinder. Despite the grinder having stock metal guards and a
smallish spark sheild, the stone broke and come outta the grinder and
literally wasted the user's face. He could still see, BUT!.....

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-07-27, Doug Miller wrote:

instead of safety glasses: your eyes are not the only things on your
face that are worth protecting.

Agree. A buddy almost got sued fer allowing another buddy to use his
Baldor grinder. Despite the grinder having stock metal guards and a
smallish spark sheild, the stone broke and come outta the grinder and
literally wasted the user's face. He could still see, BUT!.....

nb

With a grinder like a table saw, you should never stand directly in
front of the spinning stone. Rarely can you not do the job, by standing
off to the side of the plane of the spinning stone.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 20:53:34 -0400, krw wrote:

Why not stand out of the way?

Doesn't always work. Yesterday my saw threw a small cutoff out at an
angle well away from the line of cut. Luckily all it did was bruise a
couple of knuckles.

--
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:

reading some old safety manuals they mentioned something i had not
ever heard of

leather welding aprons would suffice i think

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 27 Jul 2016 20:31:31 +0000 (UTC), Trenbidia
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 20:53:34 -0400, krw wrote:

Why not stand out of the way?

Doesn't always work. Yesterday my saw threw a small cutoff out at an
angle well away from the line of cut. Luckily all it did was bruise a
couple of knuckles.

Any off-axis projectiles will have a lot less energy. I don't worry
about a couple of bruised knuckles. Perhaps I should, though. Blood
thinners make such things a little more of a problem.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

reading some old safety manuals they mentioned something i had not ever
heard of

this was working with a table saw or saw bench

they recommended a kick back apron
not a bad idea really it does happen once in a while still

well of course they recommended goggles too and safety shoes

Why not stand out of the way?

While I never heard of a kickback apron, I found a picture of one at
this URL.

http://www.kcma.org/Uploads/file/Tab...ty%20Final.ppt

Personally seeing pictures of boards stuck in the wall and other places,
I am not about to wear a kickback apron, and stand where I can get hit
if there is a Kickback.

I thing the best advice to protect yourself form kick back is always
stand at the side of the saw where any flying projectiles will not hit you.

Not true, you can be hit by the piece deflecting off of other objects,
like a shattered board. Been there done that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Trenbidia wrote in :

On Tue, 26 Jul 2016 20:53:34 -0400, krw wrote:

Why not stand out of the way?

Doesn't always work. Yesterday my saw threw a small cutoff out at an
angle well away from the line of cut. Luckily all it did was bruise a
couple of knuckles.

Yep. I had a small offcut come flying out of a compound-miter saw a bit to the side and high --
knocked the face shield off of my head. Damn glad I had it on. That would've left a mark.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/27/2016 11:44 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
John McCoy wrote in

Sometimes a knot or something comes flying out at an odd
angle, so "out of the way" isn't something you can totally
plan.

Very true. And I'll take this as an opportunity to once again plug for the use of face shields
instead of safety glasses: your eyes are not the only things on your face that are worth
protecting.

Now, after almost 60 years of table saw use, you tell me. I don't even
own a face shield. Should I get the crash helmet, face shield with air
tanks and ear muffs built in? I have a giant warning sign that says,
"Don't put hand in saw blade", in case I forget, or some millennial uses
the saw. Thought that would be enough...

If a 2by flies back and knocks out all my teeth and blinds me, do ya
think I could sue the saw company, or the saw blade company, or Norm for
not using a face shield on TV?

Some people would be better off staying away from all power tools and
sticking to Pokeymon and watching old re-runs of Scott Phillips American
Woodshop.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/28/2016 8:43 AM, Jack wrote:
[...]

Jack I can't attest to this but the above comments kind'a sound like you
may have been hit in the head a few too many times already, probably too
late for protection. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/28/2016 9:43 AM, Jack wrote:
[...]

If there is one given in life, at no time will you be totally safe.

The prevailing thought in the US today is, if there is a remote
possibility of accident you must pass a law or require a guard to
prevent it. Hence we have a ton of unnecessary and ridiculous laws
trying to protect us from ourselves.

The best safety device sits in the middle and slightly above your
shoulders. If that safety device is not used there is nothing in the
world that will protect you from an accident.

Remember the man who was killed in the "totally safe" self driving car
in Florida.

I have been using a table saw for over 40 years. I have had one
accident with the saw, and that was because I did a stupid thing.
Fortunately I lost no appendages, though looked at the bone on one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-07-28, Keith Nuttle wrote:

If there is one given in life, at no time will you be totally safe.

I learned this while reading the evening paper, when I was about 7-8 yrs
old.

A family was jes sitting down to their evening meal. Day is done,
saying a prayer around the evening table. A couple blocks away,
unbeknownst to sed family, a Navy fighter jet from a nearby military
base, crash lands in a vacant field. The pilot died crashing the jet
in a safe place. So he thought......

The nose landing gear from the jet split off during the crash landing
and bounced 2-3 blocks from the crash site and tore thru the front
door of the unsuspecting family enjoying their evening meal. That
landing gear ripped thru the front door, missed the wife and kids, and
cut the father in half!

IOW, one second, safe! The next, dead.

Sadly, I know similar stories. 8|

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 09:43:41 -0400
Jack wrote:

Some people would be better off staying away from all power tools and
sticking to Pokeymon and watching old re-runs of Scott Phillips
American Woodshop.

haha

some people definitely should not use power tools
very true

never heard of that show
will have to look for it now

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:

Some people would be better off staying away from all power tools and
sticking to Pokeymon and watching old re-runs of Scott Phillips
American Woodshop.

haha

some people definitely should not use power tools
very true

I was helping a buddy build a cabin, cutting the bird-mouths on the
rafters with a circular saw. His brother showed up and asked what he
could do to help. I was bored with cutting the rafters, so I started
to explain to him how to do it. My buddy interrupted us and sent him
off to do some menial task.

I was slightly ****ed because I had something more interesting that
I wanted to do when my buddy turned to me and quietly said:

"He's dangerous with hand tools, deadly with power tools."

After watching the brother work for a little while, I was glad that
my buddy had intervened.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 28 Jul 2016 12:33:37 -0400, Keith Nuttle wrote:

If there is one given in life, at no time will you be totally safe.

So we shouldn't take reasonable precautions?

Yes, some people get carried away, but I think I'll keep using my helmet
on the motorcycle, my seatbelt in the car, and my face shield when
turning.

A lot of us are old geezers. Having a heart attack, a stroke, or just a
sudden severe pain is more than a remote possibility. If I'm using a
power tool, especially one with a spinning blade, when such occurs I
suspect I'll be very happy the guards were in place whan I collapsed :-).

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/28/2016 10:57 AM, Leon wrote:
On 7/28/2016 8:43 AM, Jack wrote:
[...]

Which comments? The one pointing out 60 years w/o a face mask and no
injuries of any kind? The one making fun of all the really stupid
warning labels on everything, or the one where stupid people get to sue
because they didn't know the coffee was hot?

Is your point, you can't be too safe, or, if it saves one finger in 10
trillion saw cuts you need to wring your hands over it?

I grew up in an era where the swimming pools had diving boards,
playgrounds had swings and sliding boards and tons of other things now
gone due to safety and law suits. Parents who let their kids go out
unsupervised and play are arrested for endangering the safety of kids.
School buses pick up kids that live one block away from the school.

I believe a lot is lost when you overprotect, thus my reference to
millennials. Kids need to learn responsibility for themselves, and that
seems to be pretty much lost in this screwed up world of lawyers and
government protection.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:

Some people would be better off staying away from all power tools and
sticking to Pokeymon and watching old re-runs of Scott Phillips
American Woodshop.

haha

some people definitely should not use power tools
very true

never heard of that show
will have to look for it now

Scott Phillips is horrible, and his wife is even worse. (horrible
woodworkers, I don't know them, other that they shouldn't be on TV.)
He is one of the very few, if not only, TV woodworker that leaves every
known contraption on his saw instead of lying and saying safety devices
have been removed only for visual and vocal effects. He starts every
show with the same dumb ass safety advice, a testimonial to how really
stupid Americans have become. Sort of like buying a flashlight and
finding 20 pages of safety instructions and a quarter page on how to
turn it on and install batteries... Don't eat batteries, don't put
batteries in microwave oven, Don't use underwater, don't use as a jack
stand, and on and on.

Personally, I think people are smart enough to figure most of this on
their own, and those that don't, telling them is breaking a fundamental
law of nature, survival of the fittest. (too many idiots polluting the
gene pool nowadays)

If you can't find his show, here is all you need to know:

Unplug everything before adjusting, changing blades, and so on.
Use safety glasses and face shield at all times.
Don't ever set your router down until it comes to a complete stop.
Don't ever put any part of your body in front of a band saw blade
Wear ear muffs before using a tool that makes any noise.
Be sure to read all operating instructions and and use every safety
device known to man before using anything.
I'm sure I missed a few hundred, but you get the idea.

My advice is use common sense. If you don't have any of that, stick to
Pokemon and watching re-runs on TV, or, let nature take it's course.

BTW, I've been using tools for a long time, too long, and was never
once injured by a power tool. I have been nicked a few times with hand
tools. I find the chances of getting hurt with a hand tool is greater
than a power tool, probably because you have a tendency to throw caution
to the wind, and wham.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:

[...]

Add Brad Stagg, The Ultimate Workshop show. He was demonstrating how to
cut a dado and pushing the work through the dado set with the miter
gauge. All good so far. Then he stops and almost panics when the
camera show that the guard was still on the saw. that absolutely should
have been reshot.

Add, Bruce Johnson. He had a diy show and insisted on calling his SCMS
a RAS.

[...]

You have been lucky.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/28/2016 8:43 AM, Jack wrote:
[...]

Yes. It is not a matter of if, so much as when. The more you use power
tools the more this is likely to happen. You nicked yourself with a
hand tool, that is just as easy with a power tool.

or, if it saves one finger in 10
trillion saw cuts you need to wring your hands over it?

I grew up in an era where the swimming pools had diving boards,
playgrounds had swings and sliding boards and tons of other things now
gone due to safety and law suits. Parents who let their kids go out
unsupervised and play are arrested for endangering the safety of kids.
School buses pick up kids that live one block away from the school.

I believe a lot is lost when you overprotect, thus my reference to
millennials. Kids need to learn responsibility for themselves, and that
seems to be pretty much lost in this screwed up world of lawyers and
government protection.

Agreed to a point. Some protection is good. A parachute is good to
have when skydiving. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 11:07:34 -0400
Jack wrote:

Scott Phillips is horrible, and his wife is even worse. (horrible

found an episode and it was pretty bad
felt queasy watching it
i guess the female cohost was his wife

it was a chest for keepsakes and he even said to make sure and keep
all your keepsakes

to how really stupid Americans have become. Sort of like buying a
flashlight and finding 20 pages of safety instructions and a quarter
page on how to turn it on and install batteries... Don't eat

ever noticed how many stickers from different agencies are on a ladder
it is amazing but i guess people have a hard time operating ladders

Personally, I think people are smart enough to figure most of this on
their own, and those that don't, telling them is breaking a
fundamental law of nature, survival of the fittest. (too many idiots
polluting the gene pool nowadays)

they operate motor vehicles too

Unplug everything before adjusting, changing blades, and so on.
Use safety glasses and face shield at all times.
Don't ever set your router down until it comes to a complete stop.
Don't ever put any part of your body in front of a band saw blade
Wear ear muffs before using a tool that makes any noise.
Be sure to read all operating instructions and and use every safety
device known to man before using anything.
I'm sure I missed a few hundred, but you get the idea.

this is all forced upon him by the network lawyers

have known some youtube hosts that posted videos and immediately they
were inundated with emails and posts telling them how unsafe everything
was that they were doing

the hosts probably had more experience than all the viewers combined

hosts were somewhat shocked at how venomous the posts and emails
were

once injured by a power tool. I have been nicked a few times with
hand tools. I find the chances of getting hurt with a hand tool is
greater than a power tool, probably because you have a tendency to
throw caution to the wind, and wham.

roger on the hand tools that is my bane for small nicks and cuts

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote:

[...]

I think you will find that the ladder stickers are all CYA as a result of our litigious society...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/30/2016 7:12 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

ever noticed how many stickers from different agencies are on a ladder
it is amazing but i guess people have a hard time operating ladders

There have been some big lawsuits from ladder accidents. Yes, there are
some idiots using them. Had a guy at work have two accidents before I
banned him from ever using one. In once case, he used a section of an
extension ladder upside down and wondered why it slipped on him.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/30/2016 1:34 PM, Leon wrote:

BTW, I've been using tools for a long time, too long, and was never
once injured by a power tool.

You have been lucky.

Yes, but I'm also careful. I've never been lucky or unlucky with my
unguarded raw table saw. Never been lucky with my router, shaper,
planer, belt/disk sander, band saw, grinder, mortiser either. I have
been lucky with my lathe and drill press when I left the chuck key in
and turned them on. Also I've had lathe turnings break, but never came
near getting injured. Those incidents I've been lucky I guess, but I
don't consider lathe and drill press very dangerous tools, so I get
careless more so than my other power tools. (I do wear eye protection
with the lathe, and other tools, but I don't protect against an idiot
turning them on with a chuck key in the chuck) I really don't get
careless with my table saw or shaper, both tools require great respect.
I never turn on the grinder or wire wheel w/o eye protection.

Having said all that, I have noticed with advancing age, my mind tends
to wander more than ever, and that, combined with less usage, it's
becoming more of a challenge to remain reasonably safe. There is a time
when one should look to other interests I guess, but fortunately it
seems my interest in taking on large projects is diminishing as well as
my ability to focus.

Photography seems safe enough...yuck!

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Jul 2016 21:17:15 -0400
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

There have been some big lawsuits from ladder accidents. Yes, there
are some idiots using them. Had a guy at work have two accidents
before I banned him from ever using one. In once case, he used a
section of an extension ladder upside down and wondered why it
slipped on him.

some people just want to do things they are not equipped to do

some know their limitations and some do not

unfortunately some need outside help to prevent them from hurting
themselves

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote in :

On 7/30/2016 1:34 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

I saw some advice regarding the chuck key that's worth repeating: The
chuck key is either in your hand or in it's home (which isn't the
chuck!) It's easy to leave the tool where you last used it, but for the
chuck key this could be very bad.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
Jack wrote in :

On 7/30/2016 1:34 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

I don't think I have ever left a chuck key in a chuck, seems some how like
leaving a wrench on a saw arbor. You naturally remove it when finished. I
guess some one should invent a chuck stop. :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote in
:

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I saw some advice regarding the chuck key that's worth repeating: The
chuck key is either in your hand or in it's home (which isn't the
chuck!) It's easy to leave the tool where you last used it, but for
the chuck key this could be very bad.

Puckdropper

I don't think I have ever left a chuck key in a chuck, seems some how
like leaving a wrench on a saw arbor. You naturally remove it when
finished. I guess some one should invent a chuck stop. :-)

I haven't left any keys in drill chucks, but lathe chucks are another
story. Usually you're messing with the material, trying to get it to run
true and it's easy to get focused on the material and forget about the
key.

A chuck stop would be easy enough. Just put a couple microswitches where
the key goes and if one of those microswitches is pushed the lathe will
refuse to start. Even better may be optical switches, just so the tool
doesn't have to be pushed down. (If one of those patent trolls buys the
idea, this post counts a "Prior Art"!)

Some lathes DO have a chuck stop... When the lathe starts, the key stays
in the chuck and then suddenly and violently hits the lathe and bad
things happen.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/30/2016 1:34 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

I only have 3 drills with chuck keys.
One is a big-ass Black and Decker corded drill with a ton of power. It
has a cool rubber grommet type thing attached to the cord that holds the
key very securely.

The other is a 25 year-old little Skil corded hammer drill that helped
me build my first home 20+ years back. It has the little recessed,
friction-fit hole that is "supposed" to hold the key. I don't know why
I still keep that drill, other than the sentimental value. :-)

The 3rd is the drill press. It was very frustrating to look for the
chuck key, whenever I'd take it with me or leave it on the bench. I
finally placed a magnet on the belt lid for attaching the key when not
in use. That's where it stays and I don't remember the last time I
misplaced it.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, August 4, 2016 at 1:15:35 PM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:
On 8/4/2016 12:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
finally placed a magnet on the belt lid for attaching the key when not
in use. That's where it stays and I don't remember the last time I
misplaced it.

Great minds ...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
https://www.facebook.com/eWoodShop-206166666122228
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Mine is crudely but effectively tied to the table height release lever...that's the way it came when I picked it up, and seems to work for me...
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman writes:
On 8/4/2016 12:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
finally placed a magnet on the belt lid for attaching the key when not
in use. That's where it stays and I don't remember the last time I
misplaced it.

Mine's on one of those little tables you can attached to the
DP column. My key has a spring-loaded tip, so it's almost
impossible to leave _in_ the chuck if you let go.

eWoodShop - Mission Bar Stool - dry fit of ALL aprons/locationcheck Swingman Woodworking 2 December 9th 12 06:20 PM
Saw Kickback Tom Kendrick Home Repair 1 February 7th 09 02:26 AM
Saw Kickback tom Home Repair 1 February 6th 09 11:13 PM
It got me. -Kickback Stoutman Woodworking 29 June 4th 07 08:40 PM
Kickback rich Woodworking 29 March 12th 06 11:00 PM