Posted to rec.woodworking

Default kickback aprons

On 2016-08-04, Scott Lurndal wrote:

DP column.

Whatsa "DP Column"?

nb --resident rw dummy
Posted to rec.woodworking

notbob wrote in :

On 2016-08-04, Scott Lurndal wrote:

DP column.

Whatsa "DP Column"?

nb --resident rw dummy

DrillPress column.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote in :

finally placed a magnet on the belt lid for attaching the key when not
in use.

I just drilled a hole in the corner of the lid and stick
the arm of the chuck key in it. I don't keep a stock of
magnets handy (apparently in that regard I'm old-fashioned,
judging by the number of shop tips I see that involve using
a magnet).

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/4/2016 12:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 8/4/16 5:08 AM, Leon wrote:
Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
Jack wrote in
:

On 7/30/2016 1:34 PM, Leon wrote:

BTW, I've been using tools for a long time, too long, and
was never once injured by a power tool.

You have been lucky.

Yes, but I'm also careful. I've never been lucky or unlucky with
my unguarded raw table saw. Never been lucky with my router,
shaper, planer, belt/disk sander, band saw, grinder, mortiser
either. I have been lucky with my lathe and drill press when I
left the chuck key in and turned them on. Also I've had lathe
turnings break, but never came near getting injured. Those
incidents I've been lucky I guess, but I don't consider lathe and
drill press very dangerous tools, so I get careless more so than
my other power tools. (I do wear eye protection with the lathe,
and other tools, but I don't protect against an idiot turning
them on with a chuck key in the chuck) I really don't get
careless with my table saw or shaper, both tools require great
respect. I never turn on the grinder or wire wheel w/o eye
protection.

Having said all that, I have noticed with advancing age, my mind
tends to wander more than ever, and that, combined with less
usage, it's becoming more of a challenge to remain reasonably
safe. There is a time when one should look to other interests I
guess, but fortunately it seems my interest in taking on large
projects is diminishing as well as my ability to focus.

Photography seems safe enough...yuck!

I saw some advice regarding the chuck key that's worth repeating:
The chuck key is either in your hand or in it's home (which isn't
the chuck!) It's easy to leave the tool where you last used it,
but for the chuck key this could be very bad.

Puckdropper

I don't think I have ever left a chuck key in a chuck, seems some how
like leaving a wrench on a saw arbor. You naturally remove it when
finished. I guess some one should invent a chuck stop. :-)

I only have 3 drills with chuck keys.
One is a big-ass Black and Decker corded drill with a ton of power. It
has a cool rubber grommet type thing attached to the cord that holds the
key very securely.

The other is a 25 year-old little Skil corded hammer drill that helped
me build my first home 20+ years back. It has the little recessed,
friction-fit hole that is "supposed" to hold the key. I don't know why
I still keep that drill, other than the sentimental value. :-)

The 3rd is the drill press. It was very frustrating to look for the
chuck key, whenever I'd take it with me or leave it on the bench. I
finally placed a magnet on the belt lid for attaching the key when not
in use. That's where it stays and I don't remember the last time I
misplaced it.

Yeah, I have a rare earth magnet to work/attract through the rubber
coating on my DP chuck key. I treat the chuck key like a credit card,
either in my wallet or in my hand.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-08-04, John McCoy wrote:

DrillPress column.

Thanks, John.

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 04 Aug 2016 12:15:24 -0500, Swingman wrote:

finally placed a magnet on the belt lid for attaching the key when not
in use. That's where it stays and I don't remember the last time I
misplaced it.

Great minds ...

Same here, but I put the magnet on the casting at eye level - even I
can't forget where the key is when it's right in my line of vision :-).

carrying a cross.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jack wrote in :

On 7/30/2016 1:34 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

You've never used a drill stop? ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 04 Aug 2016 10:46:37 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Leon wrote in
:

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

I saw some advice regarding the chuck key that's worth repeating: The
chuck key is either in your hand or in it's home (which isn't the
chuck!) It's easy to leave the tool where you last used it, but for
the chuck key this could be very bad.

Puckdropper

I don't think I have ever left a chuck key in a chuck, seems some how
like leaving a wrench on a saw arbor. You naturally remove it when
finished. I guess some one should invent a chuck stop. :-)

I haven't left any keys in drill chucks, but lathe chucks are another
story. Usually you're messing with the material, trying to get it to run
true and it's easy to get focused on the material and forget about the
key.

A chuck stop would be easy enough. Just put a couple microswitches where
the key goes and if one of those microswitches is pushed the lathe will
refuse to start. Even better may be optical switches, just so the tool
doesn't have to be pushed down. (If one of those patent trolls buys the
idea, this post counts a "Prior Art"!)

It's even easier than that. Just spring load a pin in the center of
the key, so it pushes the key out if you're not holding it in. Don't
worry about the disclosure. It's not patentable. ;-)

Some lathes DO have a chuck stop... When the lathe starts, the key stays
in the chuck and then suddenly and violently hits the lathe and bad
things happen.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 4 Aug 2016 23:18:34 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Thu, 04 Aug 2016 12:15:24 -0500, Swingman wrote:

finally placed a magnet on the belt lid for attaching the key when not
in use. That's where it stays and I don't remember the last time I
misplaced it.

Great minds ...

Same here, but I put the magnet on the casting at eye level - even I
can't forget where the key is when it's right in my line of vision :-).

Mine has a clip on the right side of the DP head that the key fits
into.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, August 4, 2016 at 1:15:35 PM UTC-4, Swingman wrote:
On 8/4/2016 12:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
finally placed a magnet on the belt lid for attaching the key when not
in use. That's where it stays and I don't remember the last time I
misplaced it.

Great minds ...

I drilled a hole in the back corner of my drill press table to accept the key.

On very rare occasions I have to remove it to use the entire table, but for
the most part it's not in the way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/30/2016 1:34 PM, Leon wrote:

[...]

I have a similar 25 year-old (sentimental) Skil corded hammer drill but
mine has the "cool rubber grommet thing" on the cord. It is positioned
far enough down the cord that I don't have to remove the key from the
grommet on the rare occasions that I use the drill.

On the other hand, I bought a throw away hammer drill from HF when I was
out of town and needed a hammer drill at Dad's house. It has the grommet, but
it's right up near the drill, so you have to remove the key and then remember
to put it back. All they had to do was position it lower on the cord like
the Skil drill and it would have been much better.

You can see the grommet at the base of the handle he

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-H...ill-68169.html

BTW...I haven't thrown the drill away yet. ;-) I use for my Kreg Pocket Screw
jig. It as much more power than either of my cordless drills (or the Skil) so I get cleaner holes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, August 4, 2016 at 7:18:39 PM UTC-4, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 04 Aug 2016 12:15:24 -0500, Swingman wrote:

finally placed a magnet on the belt lid for attaching the key when not
in use. That's where it stays and I don't remember the last time I
misplaced it.

Great minds ...

Same here, but I put the magnet on the casting at eye level - even I
can't forget where the key is when it's right in my line of vision :-).

That's exactly why I drilled the hole in the table! If the hole is empty,
I'd better start looking for the key.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/4/2016 12:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
finally placed a magnet on the belt lid for attaching the key when not
in use. That's where it stays and I don't remember the last time I
misplaced it.

Great minds ...

I drilled a hole in the back corner of my drill press table to accept the key.

On very rare occasions I have to remove it to use the entire table, but for
the most part it's not in the way.

I have a bench top drill press. It has a machined base with slot, and
the table that is adjustable with slots

My chuck key has a permanent home in the slots in the base.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/4/2016 12:13 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
finally placed a magnet on the belt lid for attaching the key when not
in use. That's where it stays and I don't remember the last time I
misplaced it.

Great minds ...

I drilled a hole in the back corner of my drill press table to accept the key.

On very rare occasions I have to remove it to use the entire table, but for
the most part it's not in the way.

Ditto.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

eWoodShop - Mission Bar Stool - dry fit of ALL aprons/locationcheck Swingman Woodworking 2 December 9th 12 06:20 PM
Saw Kickback Tom Kendrick Home Repair 1 February 7th 09 02:26 AM
Saw Kickback tom Home Repair 1 February 6th 09 11:13 PM
It got me. -Kickback Stoutman Woodworking 29 June 4th 07 08:40 PM
Kickback rich Woodworking 29 March 12th 06 11:00 PM