Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Chain saw gas

John Grossbohlin wrote:

This "capacity" thing is true of pretty much all of power tools...

I'm now debating whether I should buy a bigger chainsaw as I've got a
couple big trees to cut down and my 18" Stihl MS271 (about 3.5 hp)
seems inadequate. Both are about 36" in diameter at chest height, one
an ash and the other a maple. I'm looking at the Stihl MS461... about
6 hp and will take much longer bars. It's not inexpensive but it
would cost way less than hiring a tree service to take down those two
big trees and I'd have it for other serious tree cutting. I took
Game of Logging training, have done a lot of studying, and have
felled quite a number of trees so those big ones look to be
reasonable tasks to me... except for the capacity of my MS271 that
is. I've taken down trees taller than those two but not as big in
diameter...

How big of a bar will your 271 take? I've got a 25" bar on my 361 and the
Stihl dealer said that's the longest bar he would recommend for it, and
still use a full chain. It just hogs through wood so it's clear the saw can
handle that much bar. Don't know what your 271 could handle but it may be
that you can get into a bar long enough the drop those trees with two cuts.
I've had to do that in the past with big trees that my bar couldn't just eat
through. It would be both cheaper and a lot easier on the back to manage
that 271 with a longer bar, than to step up to a 461. The other
consideration is to put on a longer bar (one that is longer than recommended
for your saw), and go to a skip chain. It won't hog as fast as a full
chain, but is still a serviceable tool - especially if you don't have
continued use for a big saw like the 461. I should think - without looking
it up, that your 271 would take a 20" bar, which would then be enough to
drop and block your big trees, albeit with two cuts.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:

I hadn't mentioned it here previously but it occurred to me that if I
got a big chain saw I could also use it for an Alaskan Chainsaw Mill.
I figure that if I can reduce a log into pieces I can handle I can
finish sawing it on my 36" Crescent bandsaw. I think an MS 461 would
fill that role pretty well... The two big trees would be the first
ones to go as they appear to be sound. There are a bunch of other
large ash available on neighboring properties that I'm sure I could
get for the asking as the Emerald Ash Borers have attacked them too.
Being in an area not accessible to a bandsaw mill those trees would
otherwise end up as firewood.

Oh just admit it John - you just want to have the biggest chainsaw on the
block! A perfectly sound reason for buying one, I might add...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 01:37:15 -0500, wrote:

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 18:25:39 -0500, krw wrote:

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 15:35:26 -0500,
wrote:

On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 12:19:13 -0500, "John Grossbohlin"
wrote:

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message ...

Leon wrote:

I think you vastly under estimate what an electric can do if you
believe that they are only good for a small limb a couple of times a
year. I have owned both and in my yard I would choose electric over
gas if both were sitting on my work bench and ready to go.

Turn of a phrase, and a matter of perspective I guess. I would consider
most of what you do in your yard to be small work a couple of times a year,
compared to putting up a season's worth of firewood. Remember - I do own
an electric chainsaw as well as my two gas saws, so I do appreciate what it
can do. With that said - it would in no way keep up with even the small
gas saw in cutting through something like a 10" limb.

This "capacity" thing is true of pretty much all of power tools...

I'm now debating whether I should buy a bigger chainsaw as I've got a couple
big trees to cut down and my 18" Stihl MS271 (about 3.5 hp) seems
inadequate. Both are about 36" in diameter at chest height, one an ash and
the other a maple. I'm looking at the Stihl MS461... about 6 hp and will
take much longer bars. It's not inexpensive but it would cost way less than
hiring a tree service to take down those two big trees and I'd have it for
other serious tree cutting. I took Game of Logging training, have done a
lot of studying, and have felled quite a number of trees so those big ones
look to be reasonable tasks to me... except for the capacity of my MS271
that is. I've taken down trees taller than those two but not as big in
diameter...
When the financials make buying a new toy an "investment", go for
it!!!

I'm rarely shy about buying a tool needed for a single job but this is
one place I'd strongly consider a rental.

If you are a "chain saw user" the chances are pretty good you will
use the big saw again if you own it.

If you will never use it again, rent.
If you've been Jonesing for a bigger saw for a while but couldn't
justify the expense, now is the time.

Agreed. Sometimes (usually, when it comes to woodworking tools ;-)
justification isn't needed. "I want" is good enough. If this is the
case, here, go for it. OTOH, if it's just one job that needs the
moose-of-a-saw, rent. Again, remember the maintenance. It has to be
done even if the saw isn't used.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message ...

Oh just admit it John - you just want to have the biggest chainsaw on the
block! A perfectly sound reason for buying one, I might add...

A bit of New Year philosophy:

Oddly, there are a lot of things I don't want to own even if I could or
do... In the past few years I've sold, given away, and thrown away a lot of
stuff. I can walk through my basement and shop now without having to
"navigate" and the things I actually want to use can be easily reached.
Getting rid of about 12 barrels of small pieces of wood and using pieces
that had been sitting there for 10-20 years for some undefined 'special
project' helped a lot... What was I thinking! It became abundantly clear
while cleaning out and organizing the shop that I don't need any more
woodworking tools... outside of a few larger mortising chisels perhaps. I
think my long distance self-supported bicycle trips (about 7,000 miles) and
working at Colonial Williamsburg, VA have made it very clear to me that you
don't need a lot to do a lot!

In the case of those two large problematic trees I'm afraid that site
conditions and the natural lean of the trees present problems. The cutting
plan is complex for the ash as I need to fall it away from the natural lean
and it is very close to a structure... so close that part of the back cut
will need to be made from the notch and back with a short bar or I'd need a
long bar (36"+) to plunge cut it completely from one side to establish the
hinge. Things will start by removing half the branches to shift the center
of gravity...

information on YouTube on how to cut trees up to 2 1/2 times the bar length
in diameter. In the case of the ash, the Game of Logging training I took
combined with this technique makes this look viable to me with my MS271.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqp4d_-otHQ

What tempers this is that I'd like to mill the ash into boards. However, it
would need to be done in its current location. Getting a band saw mill to it
or getting the logs out of there are both not viable options. Here is where
having an MS461 and an Alaskan mill kit would be nice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 27 Dec 2015 09:32:27 -0800 (PST)
Michael wrote:

for my chainsaw. My chainsaw seemed to run a little hotter, which was
helpful, but I wonder if this is not the best thing for the machine.

how was it helpful to run hotter

was it because of low ambient temps

you could try aviation fuel at 100 octane

Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:

for my chainsaw. My chainsaw seemed to run a little hotter, which was
helpful, but I wonder if this is not the best thing for the machine.

how was it helpful to run hotter

was it because of low ambient temps

you could try aviation fuel at 100 octane

Aside from the
fact that that wouldn't be legal or smart in many
jurisdictions (that's 100LL, and I'll allow you
to research what the "LL" stands for, and the restrictions
on the use of 100LL nationwide, or the efforts to phase it out).
Posted to rec.woodworking

John Grossbohlin wrote:

I hadn't mentioned it here previously but it occurred to me that if I
got a big chain saw I could also use it for an Alaskan Chainsaw Mill.
I figure that if I can reduce a log into pieces I can handle I can
finish sawing it on my 36" Crescent bandsaw. I think an MS 461 would
fill that role pretty well... The two big trees would be the first
ones to go as they appear to be sound. There are a bunch of other
large ash available on neighboring properties that I'm sure I could
get for the asking as the Emerald Ash Borers have attacked them too.
Being in an area not accessible to a bandsaw mill those trees would
otherwise end up as firewood.

Oh just admit it John - you just want to have the biggest chainsaw on the
block! A perfectly sound reason for buying one, I might add...

As fate would have it, to help with my decision making I priced the Stihl
MS461 at the shop where I got my MS271. Last evening I happened to look at
Craig's List and a new listing showed up for a "like new" MS461 in a town
about 35-40 miles away. It turned out the guy bought it at the end of 2014
and then promptly split up with his wife and moved into an apartment. As
such he no longer needed the saw to cut large trees for firewood to heat the
house (which the wife got). He also happened to be coming to my town
today... With that, without leaving the house I got an MS461 with less than
two tanks of gas through it, plus 2 new-in-the-box chains, for over a 1/3
less than the local shop's quote. Other than some wood chips on the chain
the saw looks brand new...

Worst case I can probably cut the two big problem trees and then sell the
thing without it costing me anything... or I can set it up with an Alaskan
Saw Mill kit and still be into it for a couple hundred less than the price I
was quoted for the new saw alone. Funny how that worked out... Merry
Christmas to me!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message ...

[snip]

As fate would have it, to help with my decision making I priced the
Stihl MS461 at the shop where I got my MS271. Last evening I happened
to look at Craig's List and a new listing showed up for a "like new"
MS461 in a town about 35-40 miles away. It turned out the guy bought it
at the end of 2014 and then promptly split up with his wife and moved
into an apartment. As such he no longer needed the saw to cut large
trees for firewood to heat the house (which the wife got). He also
happened to be coming to my town today... With that, without leaving the
house I got an MS461 with less than two tanks of gas through it, plus 2
new-in-the-box chains, for over a 1/3 less than the local shop's quote.
Other than some wood chips on the chain the saw looks brand new...

May I be the first to say that "You Suck!"? g

Funny how things work out, eh? I marvel at all the deals out there on
Craigslist. If you are patient or knowledgeable or just plain lucky you
can score just about whatever you want or need at a great price.

I use a program that will search for items I'm looking for in a given
geographic area and "report back to me."

Son in law was setting up a new dental practice and our daughter scored
a like new set of reception room furniture (about 12 chairs plus tables,
etc) from another dentist who decided to redecorate after two years.
The cost? Gasoline needed to make two 60 mile round trips to pick them
up as they were free.

Gotta love it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

That earns you a big "You suck!" John. Sure does suck to be you, huh?

--
-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Heck Mike there certainly is no call for anything other than a HF model
if all he is going to cut is 2 trees. ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
eb.com...

May I be the first to say that "You Suck!"? g

I was thinking the same thing! Yah for me! LOL

Funny how things work out, eh? I marvel at all the deals out there on
Craigslist. If you are patient or knowledgeable or just plain lucky you
can score just about whatever you want or need at a great price.

I think one of the biggest things is being able to act instantly... after
becoming knowledgeable and exercising patience! ;~)

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message ...

That earns you a big "You suck!" John. Sure does suck to be you, huh?

Yup! LOL
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

On 1/5/2016 7:16 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

That earns you a big "You suck!" John. Sure does suck to be you, huh?

Heck Mike there certainly is no call for anything other than a HF model if
all he is going to cut is 2 trees. ;~)

Perhaps two HF saws? I saw a video from the UK where there was an Alaskan
Mill that had power heads on both ends of the bar... A couple HF power heads
might suffice perhaps!

The whole rig looked crazy to me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haLdafp6ttc

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
eb.com...

May I be the first to say that "You Suck!"? g

I was thinking the same thing! Yah for me! LOL

Funny how things work out, eh? I marvel at all the deals out there on
Craigslist. If you are patient or knowledgeable or just plain lucky
you can score just about whatever you want or need at a great price.

I think one of the biggest things is being able to act instantly...
after becoming knowledgeable and exercising patience! ;~)

Yep, goes without saying. Early bird gets the worm, but you need to
know where the worm is. My latest "You Suck!" was a vintage Stickley
end table that retailed in the early '60's for ~ $1,200. My cost was a
couple of calls, a 50 mile drive and $45.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
b.com...

"Unquestionably Confused" wrote in message
eb.com...

May I be the first to say that "You Suck!"? g

I was thinking the same thing! Yah for me! LOL

Funny how things work out, eh? I marvel at all the deals out there on
Craigslist. If you are patient or knowledgeable or just plain lucky
you can score just about whatever you want or need at a great price.

I think one of the biggest things is being able to act instantly...
after becoming knowledgeable and exercising patience! ;~)

Yep, goes without saying. Early bird gets the worm, but you need to know
where the worm is. My latest "You Suck!" was a vintage Stickley end table
that retailed in the early '60's for ~ $1,200. My cost was a couple of
calls, a 50 mile drive and $45.

In keeping with the theme I mentioned the other day about not wanting to
accumulate stuff any more, I don't visit Craiglist as often as I did in the
past... I used to look at it a couple times per day to see what tools,
bicycles and furniture were there. I stopped doing that unless I'm looking
for something specific... This as the problem with deals is you buy stuff!
In hindsight I feel blessed that I've sold more stuff on CraigsList than
I've bought there. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

On 1/5/2016 7:16 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

That earns you a big "You suck!" John. Sure does suck to be you, huh?

Heck Mike there certainly is no call for anything other than a HF
model if all he is going to cut is 2 trees. ;~)

Perhaps two HF saws? I saw a video from the UK where there was an
Alaskan Mill that had power heads on both ends of the bar... A couple HF
power heads might suffice perhaps!

The whole rig looked crazy to me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haLdafp6ttc

Well that was interesting and a bit scarey. LOL