Posted to rec.woodworking

Default walnut sunflower oil will not go rancid

read that walnut oil and sunflower oil will not go rancid

could not find any walnut oil but sunflower oil is cheap and easy to get
so am trying that out on some stuff

a little goes a long way and it seems to give better coverage than mineral
oil and it is cheaper too

was watching some turning videos of ernie conover and sure enough he
has been using walnut oil for years on his wood and his salad

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2015 12:32 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
read that walnut oil and sunflower oil will not go rancid

could not find any walnut oil but sunflower oil is cheap and easy to get
so am trying that out on some stuff

a little goes a long way and it seems to give better coverage than mineral
oil and it is cheaper too

was watching some turning videos of ernie conover and sure enough he
has been using walnut oil for years on his wood and his salad

I've not tried sunflower oil for furniture but walnut oil is excellent. As
for finding it, try in any decent supermarket -- it is a favorite edible oil.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 9 Dec 2015 16:29:06 -0500
BenignBodger wrote:

I've not tried sunflower oil for furniture but walnut oil is
excellent. As for finding it, try in any decent supermarket -- it is
a favorite edible oil.

i have been keeping an eye out but need to look at some of the high
end stores that i never go to

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey Comet,
I have purchased walnut oil from Woodcraft on line. I don't know if you patronize them but I thought I'd mention its availability.
Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

a search using g00gle indicates a variety of opinions as to whether WO goes rancid or not
Caveat emptor, as usual, I guess...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/9/2015 12:32 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
read that walnut oil and sunflower oil will not go rancid

could not find any walnut oil but sunflower oil is cheap and easy to get
so am trying that out on some stuff

a little goes a long way and it seems to give better coverage than mineral
oil and it is cheaper too

was watching some turning videos of ernie conover and sure enough he
has been using walnut oil for years on his wood and his salad

Ten years ago, bought a pint of mineral oil at the drug store for our
three cutting boards, still have a bit left. Cost differences over time
are too small to matter. Does not affect taste of food, does not become
rancid, has not become sticky or gummy.

Y'all are over-thinkin' this..

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 12:44:44 -0500
Larry Kraus wrote:

Y'all are over-thinkin' this..

alternatives are good to have

some people like plant based oils and look for that kind of thing
on the label

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 04:56:04 -0800 (PST)
marc rosen wrote:

I have purchased walnut oil from Woodcraft on line. I don't know if
you patronize them but I thought I'd mention its availability. Marc

i have not bought from them
i usually buy consumables locally
especially if they are liquid
i have a few more places to check locally although it is not urgnet

i did buy some tung oil online but only because i could not find any local
at such a good price

Posted to rec.woodworking

marc rosen wrote:

I have purchased walnut oil from Woodcraft on line. I don't know if
you patronize them but I thought I'd mention its availability. Marc

i have not bought from them
i usually buy consumables locally
especially if they are liquid
i have a few more places to check locally although it is not urgnet

i did buy some tung oil online but only because i could not find any local
at such a good price

I've found the walnut oil in the health food section at our local Fred
Meyer (a NW chain) rather than in the normal salad dressing area. Might
double check there, if your supermarket has such an area...

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 09:49:14 -0900
Kevin Miller wrote:

I've found the walnut oil in the health food section at our local
Fred Meyer (a NW chain) rather than in the normal salad dressing
area. Might double check there, if your supermarket has such an
area...

good tip
usually the more expensive stores have a more diverse selection of
stuff like this

i just have to get to one of them since i am not a regular

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article
Electric Comet writes:

i did buy some tung oil online but only because i could not find any local
at such a good price

Be aware that "tung oil" is notorious for not actually being tung
oil, especially if the label says anything like "tung oil finish."
One of the magazines (probably Fine Woodworking) did an article on
that in the last year or two, listing the various brands and what
the actual (or at least apparent) content was.

They ranged from pure tung oil all the way to straight BLO.

--
Drew Lawson I had planned to be dead by now, but
the schedule slipped, they do that.

Posted to rec.woodworking

i just have to get to one of them since i am not regular

I think castor oil would be better for that...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015 22:09:40 -0700
graham wrote:

If it's pure, you have to be very patient. It takes ages to cure.
Once cured, it's food safe but is a powerful emetic (IIRC) until then.

i discovered that long cure time
i gave it as a gift before it was finished curing and said let it sit for a while
until it is not gummy at all

would not surprise me that it is an emetic
probably most oils that cannot be digested are

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Kraus wrote:

Y'all are over-thinkin' this..

alternatives are good to have

some people like plant based oils and look for that kind of thing
on the label

A little late to this, but as a turner, I learned about walnut oil
years ago. It DOES dry and does not remain sticky. I use it almost
exclusively to finish turnings. (I also use a 3-stage buffing and wax
treatment for most, but the walnut oil is the base.) For woodwork that
is not a turning, I would use a buffing wheel in a high speed flexible
shaft.

I find it in my local supermarket.
PURE tung oil is also good, but as noted above it must be undiluted
with other stuff.
--
remove nonsense for reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Kraus wrote:

Y'all are over-thinkin' this..

alternatives are good to have

some people like plant based oils and look for that kind of thing
on the label

A little late to this, but as a turner, I learned about walnut oil
years ago. It DOES dry and does not remain sticky. I use it almost
exclusively to finish turnings. (I also use a 3-stage buffing and wax
treatment for most, but the walnut oil is the base.) For woodwork that
is not a turning, I would use a buffing wheel in a high speed flexible
shaft.

I find it in my local supermarket.
PURE tung oil is also good, but as noted above it must be undiluted
with other stuff.

I like to use food-safe finishes on my bowls and with some, one applies
so little that they are essentially useless.
Graham

Posted to rec.woodworking

And to add to the food-safe - you me and all make stuff that
we use to show and such. Not intended for food but look pretty.

We pass or give the plate/bowl/hat to someone. They use it for
Chips. Oil in chips mix with whatever...
Use it for candy etc.

We can't label our work NOT FOR FOOD or whatnot.

Best to be safe and for ourselves when we apply it or dry it in
the shop. The stuff goes into the air we breathe and walk in.

Martin