Posted to rec.woodworking
graham[_5_] graham[_5_] is offline

Default walnut sunflower oil will not go rancid

On 18/12/2015 8:39 AM, Bill Day wrote:
On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 10:08:55 -0800, Electric Comet
wrote:

On Thu, 10 Dec 2015 12:44:44 -0500
Larry Kraus wrote:

Y'all are over-thinkin' this..

alternatives are good to have

some people like plant based oils and look for that kind of thing
on the label

A little late to this, but as a turner, I learned about walnut oil
years ago. It DOES dry and does not remain sticky. I use it almost
exclusively to finish turnings. (I also use a 3-stage buffing and wax
treatment for most, but the walnut oil is the base.) For woodwork that
is not a turning, I would use a buffing wheel in a high speed flexible
shaft.

I find it in my local supermarket.
PURE tung oil is also good, but as noted above it must be undiluted
with other stuff.

I like to use food-safe finishes on my bowls and with some, one applies
so little that they are essentially useless.
Graham