Posted to rec.woodworking

Default what things have you replaced with wood for repair

in the other thread about garbage can wheel replacements of wood i realized
that i have fixed a few things with wood replacements

i had a pair of stainless sewing scissors and the handles became brittle and
broke

i traced the handles and got out the dremel tool and made new ones from
some maple scraps and they are better than new

a missing trash can flap got replaced with redwood & cedar

tool handles of course

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 4:02:30 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

tool handles of course

Made wood handles for homemade lathe tools, shop made hammer handles, made wood gates for metal fence (I can't weld to save my life), butts for socket chisels, wheels for a garden cart (from pressure treated wood), made wheel barrow handles, rigged temporary scaffold repair, cased a broken tool box with plywood, etc.

Wood isn't much more than play dough for me. There are very few instances where would can't be used as at least a temporary fix, and most of the time, permanent.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/31/2015 5:04 AM, wrote:
There are very few instances where would can't be used as at least a temporary fix, and most of the time, permanent.

Yup. I've got a wooden gall bladder, myself.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 4:02:30 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:

tool handles of course

Made wood handles for homemade lathe tools, shop made hammer handles, made
wood gates for metal fence (I can't weld to save my life), butts for socket
chisels, wheels for a garden cart (from pressure treated wood), made wheel
barrow handles, rigged temporary scaffold repair, cased a broken tool box
with plywood, etc.

Wood isn't much more than play dough for me. There are very few instances
where would can't be used as at least a temporary fix, and most of the time,
permanent.

Robert

How about pail handles. Drill a hole through a dowel, split it in
half lengthwise and glue it back together on the bail. Those
plastic roller handles are junk. btw, golf balls make nice file
handles too...just beware of the liquid center filled ones.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/31/2015 9:37 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 8/31/2015 5:04 AM, wrote:
There are very few instances where would can't be used as at least a
temporary fix, and most of the time, permanent.

Window lifts in the back doors of my Buick. That made them stay up!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/29/2015 4:58 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
in the other thread about garbage can wheel replacements of wood i realized
that i have fixed a few things with wood replacements

i had a pair of stainless sewing scissors and the handles became brittle and
broke

i traced the handles and got out the dremel tool and made new ones from
some maple scraps and they are better than new

a missing trash can flap got replaced with redwood & cedar

tool handles of course

One garbage can wheel, two layers 3/4" ply, about 10 years old now.

One knob for the front-end loader control lever on my compact tractor.
Missing rubber knob got snagged and pulled off on a tree, I think.
Replaced with turned scrap of ash about 2 1/2 by 3, several coats of
poly and epoxied onto the 1/2" steel rod. 5 years ago. Still looks purty...

Borrowed my father-in-laws '84 Chrysler for a few days. Fabric headliner
had come loose and sat on my head, could not see out the rear. (He was
much shorter, it didn't bother him.) Ripped five 3/16" square ribs from
scrap cherry, long enough to spring into place across the roof,
supported by the window trim. Looks factory installed, still working
fine 8 years later.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 5:02:30 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:
in the other thread about garbage can wheel replacements of wood i realized
that i have fixed a few things with wood replacements

i had a pair of stainless sewing scissors and the handles became brittle and
broke

i traced the handles and got out the dremel tool and made new ones from
some maple scraps and they are better than new

a missing trash can flap got replaced with redwood & cedar

tool handles of course

She has some trouble sneaking up on chipmunks these days, but otherwise the repair worked out pretty well.

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/q...psoqkauezd.jpg

What goes 99-thump, 99-thump, 99-thump?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, August 31, 2015 at 1:25:03 PM UTC-4, Larry Kraus wrote:
On 8/29/2015 4:58 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
in the other thread about garbage can wheel replacements of wood i realized
that i have fixed a few things with wood replacements

....snip...

Borrowed my father-in-laws '84 Chrysler for a few days. Fabric headliner
had come loose and sat on my head, could not see out the rear. (He was
much shorter, it didn't bother him.) Ripped five 3/16" square ribs from
scrap cherry, long enough to spring into place across the roof,
supported by the window trim. Looks factory installed, still working
fine 8 years later.

This probably counts more as an upgrade as opposed to a repair, but I considered it a "fix" to the conversion van that I leased back in '97.

The conversion package for the Dodge Ram van came with cheap plastic cup holders that were screwed to the conversion walls. Square fold down units. The "windows sills" were fabric covered particle board, creating a shelf. I made new shelves from some 3/4" pine (stained dark) and cut big holes in them. I inserted mesh pen/pencil holders as the actual cup holder.

http://www.staples-3p.com/s7/is/image/Staples/s0136648_sc7?$splssku$

They were the perfect size for water bottles and soda cans. There was just enough space between the "conversion walls" and the original walls of the van for the cups to slide right in between leaving the new window shelves in the same position as the originals.

I also made a matching cup holder unit to sit on top of the engine compartment housing in the cab area.

It looked similar to this:

http://thumbs2.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...ZrUBBWdXeg.jpg

The original "cup holders" were nothing more than 1/2" deep recesses in the top of engine bay cover. They worked great as long as you were parked.

Again, more of an upgrade, but I sure thought that the conversion needed to be "fixed", and wood was what I used to fix it.
Posted to rec.woodworking

One of the more interesting things I recall was my father making a rim out
of plywood and epoxy to replace a rotted out steel rim on a very old 2 wheel
garden tractor trailer (1940s vintage). It was an odd-ball rim for which a
replacement could not be found...

Me... the list is extensive!

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 4:02:30 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
in the other thread about garbage can wheel replacements of wood i realized
that i have fixed a few things with wood replacements

i had a pair of stainless sewing scissors and the handles became brittle and
broke

i traced the handles and got out the dremel tool and made new ones from
some maple scraps and they are better than new

a missing trash can flap got replaced with redwood & cedar

tool handles of course

Had the plastic handle on my table saw fence break. Replaced it with a piece of Katalox (Mexican Ebony) turned on my mini lathe. Looks almost like it was original with the fence.

BTW, I used the drill the blank on the lathe, cut a 1/4" off the drilled end, chisel out for your nut in the remaining blank, epoxy back together, mount on a threaded rod and turn trick of mounting the threaded insert. At least you do not have to worry about the threaded insert backing out doing it that way.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Electric Comet wrote:
in the other thread about garbage can wheel replacements of wood i realized
that i have fixed a few things with wood replacements

i had a pair of stainless sewing scissors and the handles became brittle and
broke

i traced the handles and got out the dremel tool and made new ones from
some maple scraps and they are better than new

a missing trash can flap got replaced with redwood & cedar

tool handles of course

Then there is the woodturner who lost an eye:

A guy lost an eye in an accident, and made himself a wooden eye as a
prosthetic. But he became withdrawn over his appearance. A friend
finally persuaded him to come to community dance, but he just stood there
all alone.

He finally noticed a young lady sitting alone, and saw (with his one
good eye) that she too had a prosthetic, to replace a leg she had lost.
He thought to himself, "maybe she would dance with me."

So gathering his courage he approached her and asked, "Would you like to
dance?"
She looked up with a smile and said, "Would I! Would I!"
So he pointed back at her and said, "Peg leg! Peg leg!"

--
GW Ross

A big enough hammer fixes anything

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 1 Sep 2015 03:44:18 -0700 (PDT), "Dr. Deb"
wrote:

[...]

A friend broke the steering tie rod on his Land Rover Series 3 wagon
while in Malawi, and had to get back to Zambia

An old wooden shovel handle and some fence wire did the job.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tuesday, September 1, 2015 at 12:27:07 PM UTC-4, G. Ross wrote:
Electric Comet wrote:
[...]

What a coincidence! I heard about a similar situation at another dance.

So he pointed back at her and said, "Hair lip! Hair lip!"

I wonder if it was the same guy. He's never going to get a date with an attitude like that. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Saturday, August 29, 2015 at 5:02:30 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:
in the other thread about garbage can wheel replacements of wood i realized
that i have fixed a few things with wood replacements

i had a pair of stainless sewing scissors and the handles became brittle and
broke

i traced the handles and got out the dremel tool and made new ones from
some maple scraps and they are better than new

a missing trash can flap got replaced with redwood & cedar

tool handles of course

2002 Mitsubishi Gallant

If you turned the temperature knob all the way to the coldest position, it
was hit or miss whether or not you would get any heat when you turned the
knob back towards hot. The damper doors would close at the cold position but
they wouldn't always open back up to let the heat come in.

Under the dash I found the linkage from the temperature knob to the damper
door motor. I cut a small block of wood and attached it to the linkage,
preventing the linkage from moving to the fully cold position. At the knob
end it still felt like a solid stop, but it was about 1 "line" above fully
cold on the dial.

The damper doors opened and closed properly from that point on and the
minuscule difference between true "fully cold" and my "almost fully cold"
was imperceptible.
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

wrote:

[...]

I don't recall how El Auruns fixed the busted spring on the Rolls that
he was driving around all over the desert teaching the Arabs how to be
pains in the butt, but I suspect that a piece of lumber of some sort was
involved.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 1 Sep 2015 12:52:26 -0700 (PDT)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

The damper doors opened and closed properly from that point on and
the minuscule difference between true "fully cold" and my "almost
fully cold" was imperceptible.

nice one

plus now you can sell it and say it has wood grain in the interior

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 01 Sep 2015 12:27:10 -0400
"G. Ross" wrote:

So gathering his courage he approached her and asked, "Would you like
to dance?"
She looked up with a smile and said, "Would I! Would I!"
So he pointed back at her and said, "Peg leg! Peg leg!"

not bad
do not see many wood turning jokes