Posted to rec.woodworking

Default What's this piece of furniture called/worth?

On Tue, 25 Aug 2015 16:02:14 -0700 (PDT)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

My daughter inherited this piece of furniture from the former tenants
of the house she is renting at college. She doesn't want it and was
thinking of putting it on Craigslist.

another guess
a barber cabinet

any evidence where a strop was attached

is there any evidence on the back that a mirror was attached at one time

usually there would be a mirror attached

you cannot have too many mirrors in a barber shop

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

My daughter inherited this piece of furniture from the former tenants
of the house she is renting at college. She doesn't want it and was
thinking of putting it on Craigslist.

another guess
a barber cabinet

any evidence where a strop was attached

No

is there any evidence on the back that a mirror was attached at one time

No

usually there would be a mirror attached

There is no evidence of holes that have been repaired anywhere on the piece.. Perhaps a hole in the sides and/front could have been filled and painted over, but the back is unfinished and there are no "old holes" to be found.

you cannot have too many mirrors in a barber shop

Well, I'm not sure I agree. In many barber shops there are mirrors only on one wall. The barber faces the customer away from the mirrors while cutting his hair and then spins him around for the reveal, typically using a hand held mirror to allow the customer to see the back of their own head.

At least that's been my experience in many different barber shops, in many different cities, over the years.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

My daughter inherited this piece of furniture from the former tenants
of the house she is renting at college. She doesn't want it and was
thinking of putting it on Craigslist.

another guess
a barber cabinet

I did not mean to imply in my previous post that you are incorrect. I DAGS for images of barber cabinets and cubbies and other small storage areas were a common feature, as was the tall, narrow design.

Your guess has merit.

any evidence where a strop was attached

is there any evidence on the back that a mirror was attached at one time

usually there would be a mirror attached

you cannot have too many mirrors in a barber shop

Posted to rec.woodworking

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Well, I'm not sure I agree. In many barber shops there are mirrors
only on one wall. The barber faces the customer away from the mirrors
while cutting his hair and then spins him around for the reveal,
typically using a hand held mirror to allow the customer to see the
back of their own head.

My barber is more cruel than that. He sits me facing the mirror throughout,
making me agonize over every one of the sparce hairs he's cutting. I think
he takes a deviant pleasure in that! He next to never spins me and gives me
a mirror to see the back, unless we're pulling what little bit of hair I
have left, into a pony tail. Yup - I was a hippie and hair is still
important to me, even if it is only the little bit that still grows on my
head...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Well, I'm not sure I agree. In many barber shops there are mirrors
only on one wall. The barber faces the customer away from the mirrors
while cutting his hair and then spins him around for the reveal,
typically using a hand held mirror to allow the customer to see the
back of their own head.

My barber is more cruel than that. He sits me facing the mirror throughout,
making me agonize over every one of the sparce hairs he's cutting. I think
he takes a deviant pleasure in that! He next to never spins me and gives me
a mirror to see the back, unless we're pulling what little bit of hair I
have left, into a pony tail. Yup - I was a hippie and hair is still
important to me, even if it is only the little bit that still grows on my
head...

So after my guy finishes cutting my hair I look down at the hair on the
floor and say, I'm getting a discount, right?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in
:

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Well, I'm not sure I agree. In many barber shops there are mirrors
only on one wall. The barber faces the customer away from the mirrors
while cutting his hair and then spins him around for the reveal,
typically using a hand held mirror to allow the customer to see the
back of their own head.

My barber is more cruel than that. He sits me facing the mirror
throughout, making me agonize over every one of the sparce hairs he's
cutting.

Mine is yet even more cruel. She makes me take my glasses
off! So I have no idea what's happening (without glasses my
range of vision is about 3 feet) until the end. Always it's
suspense until I'm allowed to put them on again, and see what
the final result is.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 08/28/2015 07:39 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

My barber is more cruel than that. He sits me facing the mirror throughout,
making me agonize over every one of the sparce hairs he's cutting. I think
he takes a deviant pleasure in that! He next to never spins me and gives me
a mirror to see the back, unless we're pulling what little bit of hair I
have left, into a pony tail. Yup - I was a hippie and hair is still
important to me, even if it is only the little bit that still grows on my
head...

I'm right there with you Mike. I used to bemoan my hair turning white.
Now I rejoice over every white hair I get to keep!

....Kevin
--
Kevin Miller
Juneau, Alaska
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/29/2015 9:16 AM, Leon wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote:
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

You need a barber? I've not seen one in 10 years. A Whal trimmer keeps
the perimeter short. That is all that is needed.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 28 Aug 2015 20:23:08 -0700 (PDT)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

There is no evidence of holes that have been repaired anywhere on the
piece. Perhaps a hole in the sides and/front could have been filled
and painted over, but the back is unfinished and there are no "old
holes" to be found.

i did notice the left side of the top drawer was mangled somewhat

if you have a mass spectrometer laying around maybe scrape some of
those stains and determine their composition

Well, I'm not sure I agree. In many barber shops there are mirrors

still has not changed my opinion as a customer
the more mirrors the better
that way you can watch the goings on at other stations without
turning your head

much amusement over the years

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 08:13:11 -0800, Kevin Miller
wrote:

On 08/28/2015 07:39 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

My barber is more cruel than that. He sits me facing the mirror throughout,
making me agonize over every one of the sparce hairs he's cutting. I think
he takes a deviant pleasure in that! He next to never spins me and gives me
a mirror to see the back, unless we're pulling what little bit of hair I
have left, into a pony tail. Yup - I was a hippie and hair is still
important to me, even if it is only the little bit that still grows on my
head...

I'm right there with you Mike. I used to bemoan my hair turning white.
Now I rejoice over every white hair I get to keep!

People used to razz me about my white hair. I'd just respond, "it's
still there!". It still is, though doesn't grow very fast anymore.
It's probably been three months since I went to a barber. I'd go back
more often but they cut it too short.