Posted to rec.woodworking

Default World's largest hand plane?

A sharpened steel wedge in a block of wood that will, when set up
right, pull off gossamer shavings leaving a polished finish straight
off the tool.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tsm-YrGXes8

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 7:44:00 AM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:
A sharpened steel wedge in a block of wood that will, when set up
right, pull off gossamer shavings leaving a polished finish straight
off the tool.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tsm-YrGXes8

That's pretty cool, but I'm tired just from watching how hard he seemed to be working.

I wonder how many times a day he does that demonstration. His body is tweaked in such a manner that it can't be good for him over the long term.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2015 6:43 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
A sharpened steel wedge in a block of wood that will, when set up
right, pull off gossamer shavings leaving a polished finish straight
off the tool.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tsm-YrGXes8

A demonstration of how Japanese singly ply toilet paper is produced. A
single hunk of timber is capable of turning out 1,000,000 plies.

;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 3/2/2015 6:43 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
A sharpened steel wedge in a block of wood that will, when set up
right, pull off gossamer shavings leaving a polished finish straight
off the tool.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tsm-YrGXes8

A demonstration of how Japanese singly ply toilet paper is produced. A
single hunk of timber is capable of turning out 1,000,000 plies.

Yeahbut - it scratches yer butt and leaves streaks behind...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, March 2, 2015 at 12:07:34 PM UTC-6, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 3/2/2015 6:43 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
A sharpened steel wedge in a block of wood that will, when set up
right, pull off gossamer shavings leaving a polished finish straight
off the tool.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tsm-YrGXes8

A demonstration of how Japanese singly ply toilet paper is produced. A
single hunk of timber is capable of turning out 1,000,000 plies.

Yeahbut - it scratches yer butt and leaves streaks behind...

Not if it's cottonwood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2015 12:05 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Leon wrote:
On 3/2/2015 6:43 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
A sharpened steel wedge in a block of wood that will, when set up
right, pull off gossamer shavings leaving a polished finish straight
off the tool.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tsm-YrGXes8

A demonstration of how Japanese singly ply toilet paper is produced. A
single hunk of timber is capable of turning out 1,000,000 plies.

Yeahbut - it scratches yer butt and leaves streaks behind...

Nu'uhhh. didn't you see those guys wiping their hands on the board to
see how smoove it is?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
On 3/2/2015 6:43 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
A sharpened steel wedge in a block of wood that will, when set up
right, pull off gossamer shavings leaving a polished finish straight
off the tool.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tsm-YrGXes8

A demonstration of how Japanese singly ply toilet paper is produced. A
single hunk of timber is capable of turning out 1,000,000 plies.

Yeahbut - it scratches yer butt and leaves streaks behind...

Not if it's cottonwood.

there's your sign! ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/2/2015 7:43 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
A sharpened steel wedge in a block of wood that will, when set up
right, pull off gossamer shavings leaving a polished finish straight
off the tool.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tsm-YrGXes8

It does seem awfully odd that they have a competition like this, but the
fact that it draws an audience suggests an admiration for craftsmanship
and precision that's hard to argue with.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 2:29:20 PM UTC-5, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 3/2/2015 7:43 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:
A sharpened steel wedge in a block of wood that will, when set up
right, pull off gossamer shavings leaving a polished finish straight
off the tool.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tsm-YrGXes8

It does seem awfully odd that they have a competition like this, but the
fact that it draws an audience suggests an admiration for craftsmanship
and precision that's hard to argue with.

Greg,

Perhaps it's odd and perhaps not. I belong to a woodworking club on Long Island and we hold a plane shaving contest along with our annual show. Usually the board to be planed is less than 2" wide. You must have a continuous shaving along the 8 or 10 ft. length and the thinnest one wins. I think last year the winning shaving was about 0.0012" thick.

There's a variety of woodworkers in my club and, I suppose, worldwide. Some couldn't care less about using a hand plane and some enjoy trying to fine tune their tools to perform to the extreme.

I like to think I'm somewhere in the middle.

Bill Leonhardt