Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Screw sizes. or Lag bolts going smaller too.

I was by Lowes to pick up some lag bolts, for a set of wheels to move my
wood lathe. Thanks I think Leon for the video showing a perfect method..
pics later.

I saw the conversation on screws getting smaller.
Well the lags are shrinking both in length and width too.
Length has shrunk from previous screws by enough to raise my eyebrow. A
1 1/2 in screw previously measured 1 5/8 length (much older stock that I
had), now measures 1 3/8 in length.
The lag has also changed from 5/16 previously to 1/64 under.

Can't wait too see where we are going from here.
--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/11/15 9:00 PM, woodchucker wrote:
I was by Lowes to pick up some lag bolts, for a set of wheels to move
my wood lathe. Thanks I think Leon for the video showing a perfect
method.. pics later.

I saw the conversation on screws getting smaller. Well the lags are
shrinking both in length and width too. Length has shrunk from
previous screws by enough to raise my eyebrow. A 1 1/2 in screw
previously measured 1 5/8 length (much older stock that I had), now
measures 1 3/8 in length. The lag has also changed from 5/16
previously to 1/64 under.

Can't wait too see where we are going from here.

I'll never use another lag bolt again when there are structural
fasteners available that are stronger and made to much higher standards.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 22:00:43 -0500, woodchucker
wrote:

I was by Lowes to pick up some lag bolts, for a set of wheels to move my
wood lathe. Thanks I think Leon for the video showing a perfect method..
pics later.

I saw the conversation on screws getting smaller.
Well the lags are shrinking both in length and width too.
Length has shrunk from previous screws by enough to raise my eyebrow. A
1 1/2 in screw previously measured 1 5/8 length (much older stock that I
had), now measures 1 3/8 in length.
The lag has also changed from 5/16 previously to 1/64 under.

Can't wait too see where we are going from here.

"screwed" by the Chinese bolt manufacturers
Posted to rec.woodworking

woodchucker wrote:

I was by Lowes to pick up some lag bolts, for a set of wheels to
move my
wood lathe. Thanks I think Leon for the video showing a perfect
method..
pics later.

I saw the conversation on screws getting smaller.
Well the lags are shrinking both in length and width too.
Length has shrunk from previous screws by enough to raise my
eyebrow. A
1 1/2 in screw previously measured 1 5/8 length (much older stock
that I
had), now measures 1 3/8 in length.
The lag has also changed from 5/16 previously to 1/64 under.

Can't wait too see where we are going from here.

Think metric standardization.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 21:37:29 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

woodchucker wrote:

I was by Lowes to pick up some lag bolts, for a set of wheels to
move my
wood lathe. Thanks I think Leon for the video showing a perfect
method..
pics later.

I saw the conversation on screws getting smaller.
Well the lags are shrinking both in length and width too.
Length has shrunk from previous screws by enough to raise my
eyebrow. A
1 1/2 in screw previously measured 1 5/8 length (much older stock
that I
had), now measures 1 3/8 in length.
The lag has also changed from 5/16 previously to 1/64 under.

Can't wait too see where we are going from here.

Think metric standardization.

Lew

Nope, not in this case. 5/16 is as close to 8mm as damn is to
swearing. 7mm is not a "metric standard"
The length mabee - 35mm, vs 1 1/2 at 38mm and 1 5/8 at 41 (plus or
minus a few decimals)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/11/2015 9:06 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I'll never use another lag bolt again when there are structural
fasteners available that are stronger and made to much higher standards.

Yep. Been quite a few years since I've bought a lag bolt from a Borg.

A structural screw like Spax or GRK, besides being hugely stronger in
sheer force, has an added benefit in being easier to drive with a
quality cordless drill.

Expensive, but well worth it in strength and labor savings.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/2015 6:40 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/11/2015 9:06 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I'll never use another lag bolt again when there are structural
fasteners available that are stronger and made to much higher standards.

Yep. Been quite a few years since I've bought a lag bolt from a Borg.

A structural screw like Spax or GRK, besides being hugely stronger in
sheer force, has an added benefit in being easier to drive with a
quality cordless drill.

Expensive, but well worth it in strength and labor savings.

These are what I buy if strength matters, and yeah you can get them at
the borg. ;~)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SPAX-1-4-...1527/202041039
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/15 6:40 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/11/2015 9:06 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I'll never use another lag bolt again when there are structural
fasteners available that are stronger and made to much higher
standards.

Yep. Been quite a few years since I've bought a lag bolt from a
Borg.

A structural screw like Spax or GRK, besides being hugely stronger in
sheer force, has an added benefit in being easier to drive with a
quality cordless drill.

Expensive, but well worth it in strength and labor savings.

And they're not what I call "single drive." Meaning, you can back one
out and drive it back in without it breaking off like a lag bolt.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/11/2015 9:06 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I'll never use another lag bolt again when there are structural
fasteners available that are stronger and made to much higher standards.

Yep. Been quite a few years since I've bought a lag bolt from a Borg.

A structural screw like Spax or GRK, besides being hugely stronger in
sheer force, has an added benefit in being easier to drive with a
quality cordless drill.

Expensive, but well worth it in strength and labor savings.

These are what I buy if strength matters, and yeah you can get them at
the borg. ;~)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SPAX-1-4-...1527/202041039

I love Spax.
Next time you're there check out FastenMaster, if they're carried in
your neck.
I used this product on my "Sharn" and they were amazing...
http://www.fastenmaster.com/details/product/thrulok-screw-bolt-fastening-system.html

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/11/2015 9:06 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

[...]

Thanks. I think I have seen them on TOH recently.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/2015 8:12 AM, Leon wrote:
On 2/12/2015 6:40 AM, Swingman wrote:

A structural screw like Spax or GRK,

Expensive, but well worth it in strength and labor savings.

These are what I buy if strength matters, and yeah you can get them at
the borg. ;~)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SPAX-1-4-...1527/202041039

"Spax", by any other name...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/12/2015 7:40 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 2/11/2015 9:06 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I'll never use another lag bolt again when there are structural
fasteners available that are stronger and made to much higher standards.

Yep. Been quite a few years since I've bought a lag bolt from a Borg.

A structural screw like Spax or GRK, besides being hugely stronger in
sheer force, has an added benefit in being easier to drive with a
quality cordless drill.

Expensive, but well worth it in strength and labor savings.

So SPAX doesn't fill the space on a wheel mounting plate like lags do.
I don't need heavy structural, I want to fill the space as much as possible.

I don't want the length, just noticed it was much smaller when compared
to an old lag.

And yep, spax are neat when used in the right application.

--
Jeff

Screw-bolts trevor.hill UK diy 2 April 5th 14 03:58 PM
Machine screw sizes? rrh UK diy 2 September 9th 06 12:24 PM
smaller ball stud sizes? Garza2525 Home Repair 0 November 24th 05 05:11 AM
Grounded (neutral) conductor two sizes smaller, why??? _firstname_@lr_dot_los-gatos_dot_ca.us Home Ownership 2 April 20th 04 02:53 AM
Help with Converting 4inch DC piping to smaller sizes JT Woodworking 12 November 5th 03 03:40 PM