Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Screw sizes. or Lag bolts going smaller too.

On Wed, 11 Feb 2015 21:37:29 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

woodchucker wrote:

I was by Lowes to pick up some lag bolts, for a set of wheels to
move my
wood lathe. Thanks I think Leon for the video showing a perfect
method..
pics later.

I saw the conversation on screws getting smaller.
Well the lags are shrinking both in length and width too.
Length has shrunk from previous screws by enough to raise my
eyebrow. A
1 1/2 in screw previously measured 1 5/8 length (much older stock
that I
had), now measures 1 3/8 in length.
The lag has also changed from 5/16 previously to 1/64 under.

Can't wait too see where we are going from here.

Think metric standardization.

Lew

Nope, not in this case. 5/16 is as close to 8mm as damn is to
swearing. 7mm is not a "metric standard"
The length mabee - 35mm, vs 1 1/2 at 38mm and 1 5/8 at 41 (plus or
minus a few decimals)