Posted to rec.woodworking

Default computer in wood shop

I've noticed laptops in more than a few videos I watched and I thought
that thing is toast. Some of the diy cnc stuff, etc.

if I ever can't live without a pc in the shop i will get one of these

logicsupply.com/solutions/environments/dust-proof-computers/

i did see a cnc lathe that uses a saw blade recently
but no dust problems now if I try to make my own
nah never mind

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/5/2015 6:17 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
I've noticed laptops in more than a few videos I watched and I thought
that thing is toast. Some of the diy cnc stuff, etc.

if I ever can't live without a pc in the shop i will get one of these

logicsupply.com/solutions/environments/dust-proof-computers/

i did see a cnc lathe that uses a saw blade recently
but no dust problems now if I try to make my own
nah never mind

I have a large tower in the shop - taller than most with 10" fans top
and side... Larger than normal fan system on the CPU.

And be sure to have a UPS on the power line for it - even a small one
will protect it and if the temps reach 100F expect power supply dying.

I lost one supply in 10 years (company is 10 years old) - in house, I
lost one and found the old design disk was the issue. Bad filter.

You can put them in enclosures and have positive pressure air into it
and have cooling..... liquid on the CPU and all of that.

Lots of people haul in and out . Most laptops can't hook up to many
CNC due to lack of a parallel port or a serial port. Caution there.

I do CNC plasma.

Martin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 06 Feb 2015 23:20:14 -0600
Martin Eastburn wrote:

I have a large tower in the shop - taller than most with 10" fans top
and side... Larger than normal fan system on the CPU.

And be sure to have a UPS on the power line for it - even a small one
will protect it and if the temps reach 100F expect power supply dying.

100F shouldn't kill the PS
you mean 100F ambient air temp?

You can put them in enclosures and have positive pressure air into it
and have cooling..... liquid on the CPU and all of that.

the ones I was looking at are fanless passively cooled they are not
cheap but they should last long

Lots of people haul in and out . Most laptops can't hook up to many
CNC due to lack of a parallel port or a serial port. Caution there.

those I looked at have serial ports, they might have parallel too
that outfit does some thoughtful designs

I do CNC plasma.

is the work environment hot?

plasma is used to cut metal objects I guess
is it messy?
can high pressure water do the same?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 6:21:10 PM UTC-6, Electric Comet wrote:
I've noticed laptops in more than a few videos I watched and I thought
that thing is toast. Some of the diy cnc stuff, etc.

if I ever can't live without a pc in the shop i will get one of these

logicsupply.com/solutions/environments/dust-proof-computers/

i did see a cnc lathe that uses a saw blade recently
but no dust problems now if I try to make my own
nah never mind

I open our desktop here in the house once or twice a year and clean it. You would have to do it more often in a shop environment. If it was me, I would run down a thrift-shop special and put it in the shop and move files to a house machine with a flash drive.

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

RonB was thinking very hard :
On Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 6:21:10 PM UTC-6, Electric Comet wrote:
I've noticed laptops in more than a few videos I watched and I thought
that thing is toast. Some of the diy cnc stuff, etc.

if I ever can't live without a pc in the shop i will get one of these

logicsupply.com/solutions/environments/dust-proof-computers/

i did see a cnc lathe that uses a saw blade recently
but no dust problems now if I try to make my own
nah never mind

I open our desktop here in the house once or twice a year and clean it. You
would have to do it more often in a shop environment. If it was me, I would
run down a thrift-shop special and put it in the shop and move files to a
house machine with a flash drive.

RonB

How about a simple little WIFI network then the files stay in the house
and the shop machine just works on them.
UpTo Date all the time. :-Z

--
John G Sydney.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have an Acer Chromebook C-7 in the shop and an Archer C-7 router in the house, which you will need, unless you have a separate internet connection installed. It saves those walks to the house, shedding dust and chips through the house, every time I was to check something or look something up. Then there are the woodoworking videos during the breaks. :-)

The Chromebook was under $200, and while it is small, it is certainly adequate and has no problems in the 95 degree, high humidity, here in southern Alabama.

I mentioned the particular router because it has the range to pump a signal the 175-200 feet to the shop, through three or four walls and still give enough signal to have about 8meg download capacity from a 15meg connection.

Deb