Posted to rec.woodworking

Default food safe oils

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 09:02:13 -0600
Dave Balderstone wrote:

With 3 ounces of beeswax, it's more a soft paste, a little looser
consistency than creamed honey. Wipes on very easily.

Easy is one of my favorite descriptions for a product. I like paste
form better than oil (drips and runs) and the wax.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/23/2014 9:02 AM, Dave Balderstone wrote:
In article , Electric Comet
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Dec 2014 21:03:43 -0600
Dave Balderstone wrote:

In article , Electric Comet
wrote:

I wanted to find a good oil, cheap that can be used on bowls and
other food things. I saw walnut oil in a video. Have you tried
coconut oil? The things that are important are a stable oil that
doesn't go rancid. Doesn't smell bad, neutral's ok.

Have you tried cooking oils? Canola, grape seed, sunflower seed,
etc. It's okay if the oil has to be re-applied now and again.

Mineral oil's readily available and I see people using that but it
can get slightly gummy/sticky.

If you've tried an oil and like it that would be good to know about.

One cup of mineral oil and 3 oz by weight of beeswax. Heat until the
beeswax melts. Safest way is a 250 oven for 30 minutes.

Which form does it take after this? Is it like a paste or hard like
a wax or liquid?

With 3 ounces of beeswax, it's more a soft paste, a little looser
consistency than creamed honey. Wipes on very easily.

Walnut oil is good because it polymerizes.

Yes, as do a few others I've found out.

Mostly the nut oils, which is why you need to be careful about
allergies.

Mineral oil by itself is ok, and it does NOT go sticky in my
experience.

It has done so on metal surfaces.

I've never used it on metal. but with any finish too thick a wet coat
is generally bad news.

Kinda makes me wonder what oil is on the steel when I buy them at the
steel yard. It gets on you and vaporizes off if in the open or the
sheet gets hot. Keeps the rust off. I suspect it is a light oil
of some kind.

Martin
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 20:41:10 -0600, Martin Eastburn wrote:

Kinda makes me wonder what oil is on the steel when I buy them at the
steel yard. It gets on you and vaporizes off if in the open or the
sheet gets hot. Keeps the rust off. I suspect it is a light oil of
some kind.

I used aluminum flashing once for a model RR backdrop. I had to use
something (vinegar?) to remove the oil and then use an etchant to get the
latex paint to stick. Won't use flashing for that purpose again :-).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 12/24/2014 12:20 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 23 Dec 2014 20:41:10 -0600, Martin Eastburn wrote:

Kinda makes me wonder what oil is on the steel when I buy them at the
steel yard. It gets on you and vaporizes off if in the open or the
sheet gets hot. Keeps the rust off. I suspect it is a light oil of
some kind.

I used aluminum flashing once for a model RR backdrop. I had to use
something (vinegar?) to remove the oil and then use an etchant to get the
latex paint to stick. Won't use flashing for that purpose again :-).

My Plasma torch heats it up and turns all sorts of colors (normal as
well) along the hot line of missing metal. Continuous blast of air
drives the metal out of the slot.

Martin