Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Feed-n-wax food safe???

I saw this product at Home Depot. Since it is beeswax, carnuba wax
and orange oil I wondered if it would be food safe. With the orange
oil, it does have a very nice smell. I know that any finish is food
safe after it cures, but wanted your thoughts.

I have used a combo of mineral oil and beeswax in the past, which I
know is foodsafe but it gets gummy over time.

Just looking for your thoughts on this product.

http://www.howardproducts.com/feednwax.htm

Thanks,
Steve Massman

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Feb 16, 12:21 pm, "massmans" wrote:
I saw this product at Home Depot. Since it is beeswax, carnuba wax
and orange oil I wondered if it would be food safe. With the orange
oil, it does have a very nice smell. I know that any finish is food
safe after it cures, but wanted your thoughts.

I have used a combo of mineral oil and beeswax in the past, which I
know is foodsafe but it gets gummy over time.

Just looking for your thoughts on this product.

http://www.howardproducts.com/feednwax.htm

Thanks,
Steve Massman

I would think so. I looked up their site and since that wasn't covered
under questions, I sent them an e-mail asking. Will let you know.

As far as other solvent based finihsed, they are fine once the
solvents have evaporated out and the finish is cured, usually taking
from a day or 2 to a couple of weeks.
robo hippy

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Feb 16, 3:21 pm, "massmans" wrote:
I saw this product at Home Depot. Since it is beeswax, carnuba wax
and orange oil I wondered if it would be food safe. With the orange
oil, it does have a very nice smell. I know that any finish is food
safe after it cures, but wanted your thoughts.

I have used a combo of mineral oil and beeswax in the past, which I
know is foodsafe but it gets gummy over time.

Just looking for your thoughts on this product.

http://www.howardproducts.com/feednwax.htm

Thanks,
Steve Massman

Hard to tell. I try as much as possible to stay away from chemical
dryers and such on my work. There are so many people with allergies
nowadays, it is really hard to get it right. Most manufacturers tend
to say that their product is safe once properly cured but then, who is
to know? For the longest while we thought lead based paints were okay
once dry but they weren't. I did have a woman darn near run away from
one of my bowls last year when she was told I had used walnut oil on
it. Now I mark each with the kind of wood and the finish used.

When in doubt, all I use is carnauba wax. If it's good enough to coat
Smarties, it's good enough for me!

Bowl Finishes/Food Safe Steven trauthwein Woodturning 3 August 13th 06 02:35 AM
making project food safe lu.q Woodworking 2 April 13th 06 10:44 PM
Baltic Birch Ply - Food safe? Roy Fek Woodworking 9 August 15th 05 04:56 PM
Food safe stain/varnish Woodworking 13 August 12th 05 01:56 AM
Food safe woods Chris Nail Woodworking 7 January 6th 05 11:37 AM