Default Food safe stain/varnish

I am looking for food safe stain /varnish to put on some salt and pepper
shakers. A Canadian source would be preferred.

--

Http://www.powertool-reviews.com

Dave Balderstone

In article k6BIe.117757$%K2.51477@pd7tw1no,
wrote:

I am looking for food safe stain /varnish to put on some salt and pepper
shakers. A Canadian source would be preferred.

Varnish? Shellac. Lee Valley is a good source.

If you don't have a store in your area (Hey, Robin... I notice the
exterior trim is going up on 51st, what's the date?) then go to
www.leevalley.com.

For an oil finish, walnut oil. Get it at the grocery store.

Where in Canada are you?

djb

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com

Dave Balderstone

In article 6FBIe.116255$5V4.110112@pd7tw3no,
wrote:

Never thought to check Lee valley

And you call yourself a woodworker?

;-)

djb (in Saskatoon)

Never said I was a woodworker and I knew about Lee Valley and bought a few
tools some years ago and found the quality kinda crappy for the price. KMS
tools, House of tools Princess auto have better prices. I have not done
much in the way of fancy work so far and going to try my hand at some high
end work finishing.

--

wrote:

Never thought to check Lee valley

And you call yourself a woodworker?

;-)

djb (in Saskatoon)

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 13:31:55 GMT, the opaque
clearly wrote:

Never said I was a woodworker and I knew about Lee Valley and bought a few
tools some years ago and found the quality kinda crappy for the price. KMS
tools, House of tools Princess auto have better prices. I have not done
much in the way of fancy work so far and going to try my hand at some high
end work finishing.

You obviously don't -deserve- LVT quality. harrumph

Unfortunately, the term "Homo Sapiens" is a goal, not a description.
----
http://www.diversify.com Web Design for YOUR Business!
Frank J. Vitale

Behlen salad bowel finish is great. It is available through most
woodworking catalogs.

Dave Balderstone

In article t, Frank
J. Vitale wrote:

Behlen salad bowel finish is great.

EEYEEEW!!!!

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com
George

J. Vitale wrote:

Behlen salad bowel finish is great.

EEYEEEW!!!!

Chitterlings and sauce?

Tung oil varnish, actually.

Bruce T

Unless you plan on finishing the INSIDE of the salt & pepper shakers, or
plan on IMMERSING the salt and/or pepper shakers in your food, than you can
finish the OUTSIDE with anything you want...

BruceT

wrote in message
I am looking for food safe stain /varnish to put on some salt and pepper
shakers. A Canadian source would be preferred.

--

Http://www.powertool-reviews.com

John Flatley

I've never learned anything from someone who agreed with me.
wrote in message
I am looking for food safe stain /varnish to put on some salt and pepper
shakers. A Canadian source would be preferred.

--

Http://www.powertool-reviews.com

I thought ALL finishes are food safe when fully cured.

Jack

I was planning on coating the inside for the salt shaker, from what I have
read it will protect the wood. And with the pepper there will be the
possibility of the varnish coming off as you grind the peppers. I would like
to have a nice finish that will show the grain of the wood I choose.

I can show you picture of the v-clamping system I bought from LEE Valley. I
still have it sitting in my closet as a reminder that kind of quality

Http://www.powertool-reviews.com

A.J. Hamler

You're right.

The concept of a "food-safe" finish is a myth. Any finish touted as
being specifically for use with items touched by food as being
"food-safe" is merely a marketing ploy.

ALL finishes are food-safe once fully cured.

A.J.

Baron

All finishes are safe for food contact once fully cured. You are not
eating the shakers, just letting the food you eat come in contact with them.
Just make sure the finish has FULLY cured. You might wish to let them cure
for double or triple the amount of time it says on the can.

Good Luck.

wrote in message
I was planning on coating the inside for the salt shaker, from what I have
read it will protect the wood. And with the pepper there will be the
possibility of the varnish coming off as you grind the peppers. I would

like
to have a nice finish that will show the grain of the wood I choose.

I can show you picture of the v-clamping system I bought from LEE Valley.

still have it sitting in my closet as a reminder that kind of quality

Http://www.powertool-reviews.com

Does a knife block need a "food safe" finish? David Woodworking 10 June 3rd 05 05:53 PM
Food safe woods Chris Nail Woodworking 7 January 6th 05 11:37 AM
Food Safe Finishes (aka Speaking of Goblets) AHilton Woodturning 5 April 12th 04 05:17 PM
Beeswax, how food safe is it today? (A tiresome OTreminiscense) Arch Woodturning 0 December 10th 03 11:07 AM
How to get a safe out of your basement Joe Wells Home Repair 17 August 8th 03 02:22 PM