shakers. A Canadian source would be preferred.

--

Http://www.powertool-reviews.com

Dave Balderstone August 5th 05 04:44 AM

In article k6BIe.117757$%K2.51477@pd7tw1no,
wrote:

I am looking for food safe stain /varnish to put on some salt and pepper
shakers. A Canadian source would be preferred.

Varnish? Shellac. Lee Valley is a good source.

If you don't have a store in your area (Hey, Robin... I notice the
exterior trim is going up on 51st, what's the date?) then go to
www.leevalley.com.

For an oil finish, walnut oil. Get it at the grocery store.

Where in Canada are you?

djb

One site: http://www.balderstone.ca
The other site, with ww linkshttp://www.woodenwabbits.com

August 5th 05 05:10 AM

Burnaby Never thought to check Lee valley

--

Http://www.powertool-reviews.com

tone.ca...

Dave Balderstone August 5th 05 05:33 AM

In article 6FBIe.116255$5V4.110112@pd7tw3no,
wrote:

Never thought to check Lee valley

And you call yourself a woodworker?

;-)

djb (in Saskatoon)

August 5th 05 02:31 PM

Never said I was a woodworker and I knew about Lee Valley and bought a few
tools some years ago and found the quality kinda crappy for the price. KMS
tools, House of tools Princess auto have better prices. I have not done
much in the way of fancy work so far and going to try my hand at some high
end work finishing.

Larry Jaques August 5th 05 04:01 PM

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 13:31:55 GMT, the opaque
clearly wrote:

Never said I was a woodworker and I knew about Lee Valley and bought a few
tools some years ago and found the quality kinda crappy for the price. KMS
tools, House of tools Princess auto have better prices. I have not done
much in the way of fancy work so far and going to try my hand at some high
end work finishing.

You obviously don't -deserve- LVT quality. harrumph

Unfortunately, the term "Homo Sapiens" is a goal, not a description.
----
http://www.diversify.com Web Design for YOUR Business!

Frank J. Vitale August 5th 05 04:30 PM

Behlen salad bowel finish is great. It is available through most
woodworking catalogs.

Dave Balderstone August 5th 05 05:04 PM

In article t, Frank
J. Vitale wrote:

Behlen salad bowel finish is great.

EEYEEEW!!!!

George August 5th 05 05:35 PM

J. Vitale wrote:

Behlen salad bowel finish is great.

EEYEEEW!!!!

Chitterlings and sauce?

Tung oil varnish, actually.

Bruce T August 6th 05 02:00 AM

Unless you plan on finishing the INSIDE of the salt & pepper shakers, or
plan on IMMERSING the salt and/or pepper shakers in your food, than you can
finish the OUTSIDE with anything you want...

BruceT

John Flatley August 6th 05 02:09 AM

--
I've never learned anything from someone who agreed with me.
wrote in message
I am looking for food safe stain /varnish to put on some salt and pepper
shakers. A Canadian source would be preferred.

--

Http://www.powertool-reviews.com

I thought ALL finishes are food safe when fully cured.

Jack

August 6th 05 02:37 AM

I was planning on coating the inside for the salt shaker, from what I have
read it will protect the wood. And with the pepper there will be the
possibility of the varnish coming off as you grind the peppers. I would like
to have a nice finish that will show the grain of the wood I choose.

I can show you picture of the v-clamping system I bought from LEE Valley. I
still have it sitting in my closet as a reminder that kind of quality

Http://www.powertool-reviews.com

A.J. Hamler August 6th 05 03:40 PM

You're right.

The concept of a "food-safe" finish is a myth. Any finish touted as
being specifically for use with items touched by food as being
"food-safe" is merely a marketing ploy.

ALL finishes are food-safe once fully cured.

A.J.

Baron August 12th 05 01:56 AM

All finishes are safe for food contact once fully cured. You are not
eating the shakers, just letting the food you eat come in contact with them.
Just make sure the finish has FULLY cured. You might wish to let them cure
for double or triple the amount of time it says on the can.

Good Luck.