Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT---The media

And you wonder how things get misconstrued and blown out of proportion
when listening to the media.

By Business Insider, Colin Campbell

Both of former President George W. Bush's daughters aren't following the
family's Republican Party heritage.

Jenna Bush Hager, the younger of the Bush twins, bla bla bla.

Now I ask does, any one really care or need clarification as to which
twin popped out first? Does it matter? One would assume that the name
of the daughter might be enough information to distinguish between the
two. Does anyone need further clarification, really?

Another case of putting too much impertinent information into the story
to fill space.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/4/2014 1:51 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
The worst offenders, IMHO, are the large cable news channels. I've started tuning to BBC America and PBS for decent, competent reporting.

Been watching OANN lately. Not long enough to make up my mind, but so
far, so good. Even better that it is being reviled by the likes of the
Daily KOokS, so it must be hitting a nerve.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/4/2014 2:51 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
[...]

While there may be some items that have affected media circulation, I
believe one of the greatest causes for the decline of the traditional
media is the extreme bias in some organizations.

There are entirely too many stories that are like the old one about the
two horse race between the US and the USSR. "The day after the race the
media reported the the US horse came in next to last, and the USSR horse
came in second."

I believe the US population is tired of this type of reporting and have
given up on traditional media as a source of their news.

I know in our family, we have stopped taking the newspaper because of
the extreme bias expressed on every issue.

We still watch the TV news for the entertainment value like one reporter
who was interviewing the person in charge of an operation that produced
a caustic byproduct. When the person in charge told the report that the
by product was like Draino she responded by asking if his staff was
trained to handle Draino. I will bet she did not know what Draino was.

With "Intelligent" reporters like this who needs Bill Cosby.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/4/2014 2:59 PM, knuttle wrote:
[...]

I can't not mention the local Channel 2 anchor. She is there because
she is pretty. Fresh out of college 20+ years ago as their traffic girl
and straight to the anchor desk.

Anyway she reported an airplane incident. The airplane skidded into a
crash. There was no mention of the crash that the airplane skidded in
to... ;~)

And my latest favorite, The car over turned. We all understand that the
car turned over but that is not proper English, ending the sentence with
a preposition. Well maybe it is an adverb and could be turned over......

So what the heck is overturned???? Was the steering wheel turned too
much? Is that like over steer?

Maybe they should think a little harder and tell us what really
happened. The car ended up in an inverted position or the car was up
side down as a result of the accident.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2014-09-04, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

And my latest favorite, The car over turned. We all understand that the
car turned over but that is not proper English, ending the sentence with
a preposition.

"overturn" is a verb, and it's in all my dictionaries (electronic and
dead-tree). Ending the sentence with the past-tense of a verb is
perfectly proper when you're making a statement that something
happened in the past.

The tree fell.

The dog barked.

The car overturned.

If you prefer passive voice:

The car was overturned.

Well maybe it is an adverb and could be turned over......

It's a verb. In your example it's past tense [but you misspelled it
by inserting a space in the middle].

So what the heck is overturned????

Here's what Wictionary says:

Etymology

From Middle English overturnen, equivalent to over- +€Ž turn. Compare
also Middle English overterven (€śto overturn€ť), see terve.
Verb

overturn (third-person singular simple present overturns, present
participle overturning, simple past and past participle overturned)

1. To turn over, capsize or upset (something)

2. To overthrow or destroy something

3. (law) To reverse a decision; to overrule or rescind

4. To diminish the significance of a previous defeat by winning; to
comeback from.

Was the steering wheel turned too much? Is that like over steer?

No, it means the car was turned upside-down. The roof was on the
ground and the wheels were on top.

Maybe they should think a little harder and tell us what really
happened. The car ended up in an inverted position or the car was up
side down as a result of the accident.

I don't understand what your complaint is.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! ... I want a COLOR
at T.V. and a VIBRATING BED!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 15:16:41 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

not proper English, ending the sentence with
a preposition

Ships do come about don't they?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2014-09-04, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

And my latest favorite, The car over turned. We all understand that the
car turned over but that is not proper English, ending the sentence with
a preposition.

"overturn" is a verb, and it's in all my dictionaries (electronic and
dead-tree). Ending the sentence with the past-tense of a verb is
perfectly proper when you're making a statement that something
happened in the past.

The tree fell.

The dog barked.

The car overturned.

But did the car overturn or did the drive overturn? Is that what caused
the car to turn over, the steering being overturned?

If you prefer passive voice:

The car was overturned.

Well maybe it is an adverb and could be turned over......

It's a verb. In your example it's past tense [but you misspelled it
by inserting a space in the middle].

So what the heck is overturned????

Here's what Wictionary says:

Etymology

From Middle English overturnen, equivalent to over- +€Ž turn. Compare
also Middle English overterven (€śto overturn€ť), see terve.
Verb

overturn (third-person singular simple present overturns, present
participle overturning, simple past and past participle overturned)

1. To turn over, capsize or upset (something)

So why not just say something turned over as the #1 definition states?
Or is the definition poor English?

2. To overthrow or destroy something

3. (law) To reverse a decision; to overrule or rescind

4. To diminish the significance of a previous defeat by winning; to
comeback from.

Was the steering wheel turned too much? Is that like over steer?

No, it means the car was turned upside-down. The roof was on the
ground and the wheels were on top.

Yeah, but your sentence, the car was turned upside-down, ends in a
preposition, down is a location. That is supposedly a no no, do not end
a sentence with a preposition.

FWIW my dictionary indicates over to an adverb also, modifys the verb,
turned

Maybe they should think a little harder and tell us what really
happened. The car ended up in an inverted position or the car was up
side down as a result of the accident.

I don't understand what your complaint is.

The reporters are trying to make the last words in a sentence "turned
over" grammatically correct as easily as possible, by reversing the two
words, and making the matter confusing.

Oddly they continue to say that the pedestrian was run over, why don't
they say the pedestrian was over run.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 14:18:05 -0500, Swingman wrote:

The worst offenders, IMHO, are the large cable news channels. I've
started tuning to BBC America and PBS for decent, competent reporting.

BBC and PBS seem a lot closer to the ideal of reporting the news, instead
of editorializing, than any of the commercial "news" broadcasts.

Been watching OANN lately. Not long enough to make up my mind, but so
far,
so good. Even better that it is being reviled by the likes of the Daily
KOokS, so it must be hitting a nerve.

OANN? Those are the folks that think Fox news is too liberal :-).
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2014-09-04, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

And my latest favorite, The car over turned. We all understand that the
car turned over but that is not proper English, ending the sentence with
a preposition.

"overturn" is a verb, and it's in all my dictionaries (electronic and
dead-tree). Ending the sentence with the past-tense of a verb is
perfectly proper when you're making a statement that something
happened in the past.

The tree fell.

The dog barked.

The car overturned.

But did the car overturn or did the drive overturn? Is that what caused
the car to turn over, the steering being overturned?

The word "overturned" is well understood. It is a verb with the
subject being "car". A car is not a wheel, so there is no confusion.
It does not mean the same thing as "over-steered".

Well, it wasn't supposed to be turned on that axis, at all, so if it's
shiny-side down, I suppose it was "over turned". ;-)

If you prefer passive voice:

The car was overturned.

Well maybe it is an adverb and could be turned over......

It's a verb. In your example it's past tense [but you misspelled it
by inserting a space in the middle].

So what the heck is overturned????

Here's what Wictionary says:

Etymology

From Middle English overturnen, equivalent to over- +? turn. Compare
also Middle English overterven (“to overturn”), see terve.
Verb

overturn (third-person singular simple present overturns, present
participle overturning, simple past and past participle overturned)

1. To turn over, capsize or upset (something)

So why not just say something turned over as the #1 definition states?
Or is the definition poor English?

Like many verbs, it's precise meaning depends greatly on the subject.
Would you limit the language to only one way of saying something? Are
you French?

2. To overthrow or destroy something

3. (law) To reverse a decision; to overrule or rescind

4. To diminish the significance of a previous defeat by winning; to
comeback from.

Was the steering wheel turned too much? Is that like over steer?

No, it means the car was turned upside-down. The roof was on the
ground and the wheels were on top.

Yeah, but your sentence, the car was turned upside-down, ends in a
preposition, down is a location. That is supposedly a no no, do not end
a sentence with a preposition.

Only in some quarters. Others have no problems with sentences ending
such.

FWIW my dictionary indicates over to an adverb also, modifys the verb,
turned

"Overturned" is one word. It the verb of the sentence.

Maybe they should think a little harder and tell us what really
happened. The car ended up in an inverted position or the car was up
side down as a result of the accident.

I don't understand what your complaint is.

The reporters are trying to make the last words in a sentence "turned
over" grammatically correct as easily as possible, by reversing the two
words, and making the matter confusing.

The words weren't reversed. "Overturned" is one word.

Oddly they continue to say that the pedestrian was run over, why don't
they say the pedestrian was over run.

Different word. "Overrun" is a big mistake for an airplane or
something ISIS did in I.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2014-09-04, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

[...]

From Middle English overturnen, equivalent to over- +? turn. Compare
[...]

The deal is that 5~6 years ago it was always turned over, then one
changed and they all played me too.
No one has any doubt what turned over means.
When you hear them reading of the teleprompter, one cannot distinguish
overturned from over turned.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

I can't not mention the local Channel 2 anchor. She is there because
she is pretty. Fresh out of college 20+ years ago as their traffic girl
and straight to the anchor desk.

HEY! WATCH YOUR MOUTH! You leave Dominique alone!

News, huh. that's what she does?

http://dominiquesachse.tv/

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dunno, but my stomach may overturn...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2014-09-04, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 9/4/2014 4:40 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:

So what the heck is overturned????

Here's what Wictionary says:

Etymology

From Middle English overturnen, equivalent to over- +€Ž turn. Compare
also Middle English overterven (€śto overturn€ť), see terve.
Verb

overturn (third-person singular simple present overturns, present
participle overturning, simple past and past participle overturned)

1. To turn over, capsize or upset (something)

So why not just say something turned over as the #1 definition states?

That's fine also. In English there is usually more than one way you
can state something.

Or is the definition poor English?

No, it is not.

Was the steering wheel turned too much? Is that like over steer?

No, it means the car was turned upside-down. The roof was on the
ground and the wheels were on top.

Yeah, but your sentence, the car was turned upside-down, ends in a
preposition, down is a location.

No, down is not a preposition. Down is an adverb.

That is supposedly a no no, do not end a sentence with a preposition.

That's a myth. It is often perfectly fine to end a sentence with a
preposition.

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2...-prepositions/
http://www.grammar-monster.com/lesso...a_sentence.htm

FWIW my dictionary indicates over to an adverb also, modifys the
verb, turned

The newscaster was using the single word "overturn", and that word is
a verb.

The reporters are trying to make the last words in a sentence "turned
over" grammatically correct as easily as possible, by reversing the two
words, and making the matter confusing.

No. They were using the word "overturned". And they were using it
correctly. You misinterpreted it as the two word phrase over turned.

Oddly they continue to say that the pedestrian was run over, why don't
they say the pedestrian was over run.

Because that's not what the word "overrun" means.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! MMM-MM!! So THIS is
at BIO-NEBULATION!
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dave in Texas" wrote in message ...

"Leon" wrote in message

I can't not mention the local Channel 2 anchor. She is there because
she is pretty. Fresh out of college 20+ years ago as their traffic girl
and straight to the anchor desk.

HEY! WATCH YOUR MOUTH! You leave Dominique alone!

News, huh. that's what she does?

http://dominiquesachse.tv/

"I just have to look good,
I don't have to be clear
Let me whisper in your ear,
give us dirty laundry."

[With apologies to Don Henley]

Dave in Houston
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2014-09-04, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 9/4/2014 4:40 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:

So what the heck is overturned????

Here's what Wictionary says:

Etymology

From Middle English overturnen, equivalent to over- +€Ž turn. Compare
also Middle English overterven (€śto overturn€ť), see terve.
Verb

overturn (third-person singular simple present overturns, present
participle overturning, simple past and past participle overturned)

1. To turn over, capsize or upset (something)

So why not just say something turned over as the #1 definition states?

That's fine also. In English there is usually more than one way you
can state something.

Or is the definition poor English?

No, it is not.

Was the steering wheel turned too much? Is that like over steer?

No, it means the car was turned upside-down. The roof was on the
ground and the wheels were on top.

Yeah, but your sentence, the car was turned upside-down, ends in a
preposition, down is a location.

No, down is not a preposition. Down is an adverb.

Down is also a preposition.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...#q=define+down

And "over" is also.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...#q=define+over

That is supposedly a no no, do not end a sentence with a preposition.

That's a myth. It is often perfectly fine to end a sentence with a
preposition.

A myth that my English teachers taught?

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2...-prepositions/
http://www.grammar-monster.com/lesso...a_sentence.htm

FWIW my dictionary indicates over to an adverb also, modifys the
verb, turned

The newscaster was using the single word "overturn", and that word is
a verb.

The reporters are trying to make the last words in a sentence "turned
over" grammatically correct as easily as possible, by reversing the two
words, and making the matter confusing.

No. They were using the word "overturned". And they were using it
correctly. You misinterpreted it as the two word phrase over turned.

Oddly they continue to say that the pedestrian was run over, why don't
they say the pedestrian was over run.

Because that's not what the word "overrun" means.

Doesn't it?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2014-09-04, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

[...]

From Middle English overturnen, equivalent to over- +? turn. Compare
[...]

Perhaps you've led a sheltered life? I've heard, and used, the word
"overturned" since I was a kid. "Turned over" is an active voice, as
in "I turned over the car" (which could mean that I started it, too
;-). The passive voice "the car overturned" doesn't imply who did it.
It's the state of the vehicle; shiny side down.

When you hear them reading of the teleprompter, one cannot distinguish
overturned from over turned.

Perhaps it's you? If they teleprompter reader doesn't have a mouthful
of marbles, the two should be easily discriminated, not to mention the
context or grammar should be clear.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2014-09-04, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 9/4/2014 4:40 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:

So what the heck is overturned????

Here's what Wictionary says:

Etymology

From Middle English overturnen, equivalent to over- +? turn. Compare
[...]

Not in this usage. It modifies the verb "turned" in "turned over" and
as such it is an adverb. In the word "overturned" is isn't either.
It's just two syllables of the word. ;-)

That is supposedly a no no, do not end a sentence with a preposition.

That's a myth. It is often perfectly fine to end a sentence with a
preposition.

A myth that my English teachers taught?

Yes. A common one.

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2...-prepositions/
http://www.grammar-monster.com/lesso...a_sentence.htm

FWIW my dictionary indicates over to an adverb also, modifys the
verb, turned

The newscaster was using the single word "overturn", and that word is
a verb.

The reporters are trying to make the last words in a sentence "turned
over" grammatically correct as easily as possible, by reversing the two
words, and making the matter confusing.

No. They were using the word "overturned". And they were using it
correctly. You misinterpreted it as the two word phrase over turned.

Oddly they continue to say that the pedestrian was run over, why don't
they say the pedestrian was over run.

Because that's not what the word "overrun" means.

Doesn't it?

No. Different words.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2014-09-04, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

That is supposedly a no no, do not end a sentence with a preposition.

That's a myth. It is often perfectly fine to end a sentence with a
preposition.

A myth that my English teachers taught?

How should I know what your English teachers taught? There are high
school teachers teaching alls sorts of incorrect things. I wouldn't
be a bit surprised if your English teacher told you never to end a
sentence with a preposition. Despite what he/she may have told you,
your English teacher only made up the rules for your work in his/her
class -- not for the entire English speaking world.

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2...-prepositions/
http://www.grammar-monster.com/lesso...a_sentence.htm

FWIW my dictionary indicates over to an adverb also, modifys the
verb, turned

The newscaster was using the single word "overturn", and that word is
a verb.

The reporters are trying to make the last words in a sentence "turned
over" grammatically correct as easily as possible, by reversing the two
words, and making the matter confusing.

No. They were using the word "overturned". And they were using it
correctly. You misinterpreted it as the two word phrase over turned.

Oddly they continue to say that the pedestrian was run over, why don't
they say the pedestrian was over run.

Because that's not what the word "overrun" means.

Doesn't it?

No, it "doesn't". Look it up.

--
Grant

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2014-09-04, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

[...]

You have absolutely totally missed the point.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 9/4/2014 6:45 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 04 Sep 2014 14:18:05 -0500, Swingman wrote:

The worst offenders, IMHO, are the large cable news channels. I've
started tuning to BBC America and PBS for decent, competent reporting.

BBC and PBS seem a lot closer to the ideal of reporting the news, instead
of editorializing, than any of the commercial "news" broadcasts.

Been watching OANN lately. Not long enough to make up my mind, but so
far,
so good. Even better that it is being reviled by the likes of the Daily
KOokS, so it must be hitting a nerve.

OANN? Those are the folks that think Fox news is too liberal :-).

The political talk shows, yes.

The NEWS segments, not at all ... and much more balanced than CNN, Fox,
MSNBC, etal.

You'd have to actually watch it to realize that.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
https://www.google.com/+eWoodShop
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

More Media Lies Jim Thompson[_3_] Electronic Schematics 56 December 18th 12 09:37 PM
W7 media Karl Townsend Metalworking 15 November 13th 11 07:22 PM
Is Ann Coulter the media? [email protected] Home Repair 1 July 4th 06 01:55 AM
OT-More Media Spin Gunner Metalworking 0 March 30th 06 12:44 PM
OT=Sea Changes in the Media Gunner Metalworking 47 November 20th 03 01:27 PM