Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Default More Media Lies

More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 15/12/2012 19:56, Jim Thompson wrote:
More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

...Jim Thompson

Well, that's very comforting, thanks.

--
Syd
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 12/15/2012 11:56 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

...Jim Thompson

Educate yourself. A pistol is a semi-automatic handgun, not to be
confused with a revolver.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 12:20:08 -0800, RosemontCrest
wrote:

On 12/15/2012 11:56 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

...Jim Thompson

Educate yourself. A pistol is a semi-automatic handgun, not to be
confused with a revolver.

Educate your own self.

Modern handguns AND old-fashioned revolvers fire exactly one round for
every squeeze of the trigger.

That's the media's definition of "semi-automatic"... in their vain
attempt to equate all guns to the same as an AR15... which also fires
exactly one round for every squeeze of the trigger.

The media relies on bird-brains who equate shoot-em-up chase-scene
movies with reality.

Are you one of those? If so, I've got one "squeeze" for you :-}

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 20:12:47 +0000, Syd Rumpo
wrote:

On 15/12/2012 19:56, Jim Thompson wrote:
More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

...Jim Thompson

Well, that's very comforting, thanks.

The Second Amendment to the Constitution was put there to allow the
public to protect themselves from a tyrannical government.

We now have a tyrannical government. That's why gun sales are at an
all-time high.

Are you comforted yet?

Ah, yes! I see that you are a UK'ey. How's the crime rate in London?
Or Liverpool? Or Manchester?

Compare to Arizona, where we're heavily armed.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

On 12/15/2012 11:56 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

...Jim Thompson

Educate yourself. A pistol is a semi-automatic handgun, not to be
confused with a revolver.

Educate your own self.

Modern handguns AND old-fashioned revolvers fire exactly one round for
every squeeze of the trigger.

What in the world does that have to do with your assertion that media
lies by calling the weapons used "semi-automatic?" The weapons used are
indeed semi-automatic as defined by the BATFE.

That's the media's definition of "semi-automatic"...in their vain
attempt to equate all guns to the same as an AR15... which also fires
exactly one round for every squeeze of the trigger.

The media relies on bird-brains who equate shoot-em-up chase-scene
movies with reality.

Are you one of those? If so, I've got one "squeeze" for you :-}

...Jim Thompson

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 12:56:43 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

...Jim Thompson

The media certainly has a responsibility for accuracy, but here the
real problem to be addressed is the unnecessary widespread
availability of guns to people who not only do not have a need, but
rely on the 'right to bear arms'. Rights also have responsibilities,
and the government should seriously get on and properly restrict
access to firearms. Semiautomatic are obviously a potential problem,
but even single shot are highly dangerous.

Peter
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

...Jim Thompson

The media certainly has a responsibility for accuracy, but here the
real problem to be addressed is the unnecessary widespread
availability of guns to people who not only do not have a need, but
rely on the 'right to bear arms'. Rights also have responsibilities,
and the government should seriously get on and properly restrict
access to firearms. Semiautomatic are obviously a potential problem,
but even single shot are highly dangerous.

Peter

All guns are deadly in the hands of a maniac so who cares if they are
auto/semi/single shot ?
get a life you lot and think of the deceased

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 12/15/2012 8:56 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

Is this important?

In the US on average three kids are killed every day by firearms.
What would you do about that?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

...Jim Thompson

The media certainly has a responsibility for accuracy, but here the
real problem to be addressed is the unnecessary widespread
availability of guns to people who not only do not have a need, but
rely on the 'right to bear arms'. Rights also have responsibilities,
and the government should seriously get on and properly restrict
access to firearms.

Define "properly". Even define a proper trade-space for any
given regulation. Factor in that people can move guns across state
lines.

If you can do it, you'd be the first.

Semiautomatic are obviously a potential problem,
but even single shot are highly dangerous.

Peter

--
Les Cargil

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Revolvers also fit the definition...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_firearm

But "semi-automatic" is a scare word to intimidate the ignorant.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 12/15/2012 1:41 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:

Are you one of those? If so, I've got one "squeeze" for you :-}

...Jim Thompson

The Mental health people say that people with mental issues will fester
with grudges that will one day snap.

And some of those people buy weapons waiting for the right time to snap.

Does that sound like some one we know ??

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 12/15/2012 2:28 PM, tuinkabouter wrote:
On 12/15/2012 8:56 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

Is this important?

In the US on average three kids are killed every day by firearms.
What would you do about that?

He wants to join in on the fun.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 21:07:40 -0000, "TTman"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

...Jim Thompson

The media certainly has a responsibility for accuracy, but here the
real problem to be addressed is the unnecessary widespread
availability of guns to people who not only do not have a need, but
rely on the 'right to bear arms'. Rights also have responsibilities,
and the government should seriously get on and properly restrict
access to firearms. Semiautomatic are obviously a potential problem,
but even single shot are highly dangerous.

Peter

All guns are deadly in the hands of a maniac so who cares if they are
auto/semi/single shot ?
get a life you lot and think of the deceased

What pistol is NOT "semi-automatic", except perhaps a single-barrel
Derringer?

Almost all of these nut case crimes happened because "medical privacy"
rules prevent disclosure that would have prevented qualification to
buy a weapon.

And look at the Fort Hood case... Hasan was outwardly hostile against
"infidels", but the record was suppressed because of FEAR of
infringing the civil rights of some Islamic nutcase. Now the trial
is delayed while he appeals to keep his beard. Shoot the @#$%^& and
get it over with.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 22:28:01 +0100, tuinkabouter
wrote:

On 12/15/2012 8:56 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

Is this important?

In the US on average three kids are killed every day by firearms.
What would you do about that?

So? Ninety people die every day in an automobile accident... many of
them children. I say require a thorough test, perhaps like Formula-V
qualification, before you can buy a car; and require a 5-point harness
for the driver and all passengers :-}

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

What does that have to do with your erroneous assertion that media lies
by calling the weapons used "semi-automatic?" The weapons used are
indeed semi-automatic.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Only BATF calls them "semi-automatic"... the general public doesn't.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

You just contradicted yourself. Media accurately refers to the weapons
used as "semi-automatic," as do many more within the general public than
you may believe.

By the way, a revolver is not a semi-automatic weapon. Try reading again
with the goal of comprehension the Wiki article that you cited.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

tuinkabouter wrote:

On 12/15/2012 8:56 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

Is this important?

In the US on average three kids are killed every day by firearms.

BULL**** ! Unless 'kids' are age zero to 25.

What would you do about that?

Keep you away from guns & schools.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

On 12/15/2012 8:56 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

Is this important?

In the US on average three kids are killed every day by firearms.
What would you do about that?

So? Ninety people die every day in an automobile accident... many of
them children. I say require a thorough test, perhaps like Formula-V
qualification, before you can buy a car; and require a 5-point harness
for the driver and all passengers :-}

They also need to do away with all swimming pools, bicycles, forks,
knives, gasoline, people with a sub-normal IQ and liberals.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

Jim Thompson wrote:

But "semi-automatic" is a scare word to intimidate the ignorant.

They are scared of daylight, like any other cockroach.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

The general public doesn't have a clue, that's our problem.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 19:35:16 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

tuinkabouter wrote:

On 12/15/2012 8:56 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

Is this important?

In the US on average three kids are killed every day by firearms.

BULL**** ! Unless 'kids' are age zero to 25.

What would you do about that?

Keep you away from guns & schools.

A "twinky" leftist made up that statistic, so it must be true ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

Evidently, you don't have a clue. That's your problem. ;-)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 17:25:10 -0600, flipper wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Flintlock pistols, non-rotating multi-barrel pistols, pepperbox
revolvers, harmonica pistols, and cartridge equivalents.

I'm afraid you're just wrong here, Jim. A "pistol" has the chamber
integral with the barrel, which was the 'original' means of making a
handgun, and the 'revolver', where the chambers rotate behind a fixed
barrel, was the departure.

Semi-automatic means the mechanism itself, independent of human
action, cycles the next round and prepares the weapon for the next
shot (cocking) rather than it being done by manual means, such as in a
"single action" revolver where the trigger does 'one (single) thing',
drop the hammer, and manually cocking rotates the cylinder, or a
"double action" revolver where the cock and cylinder actions are
combined into the trigger. The latter takes a longer, using more
force, trigger pull.

A semi-automatic has the light trigger pull of the single action and
the auto loading makes it (allegedly) 'faster' than manual, although
I've seen experts who could fire a double action faster than a
semi-auto, AND on target. (and also speed load as fast as a clip ).

Most people, you included it would seem, probably presume a 'pistol'
is necessarily a semi-automatic (assuming they know a 'pistol' is not
a revolver and vice versa), since that's what it most likely would be
these days, but "semi-automatic pistol" is the correct term. (fully
automatic would be a "machine pistol").

On top of that, your link is a poor example of the 'hysteria' claim
because I couldn't find anything but "handgun" (and unspecified
'rifle') mentioned in it.

'Media hype' is more generally the hysterical use of semi-automatic
"assault rifle," as if 'military looking' has any consequence. The
definition of "assault rifle" requires select fire so any
semi-automatic, regardless of what it looks like, it NOT an "assault
rifle." (the 1994 ban got around this 'problem' by coining the new
term "assault weapon" as a semi-automatic with 'scary' features like a
folding stock and pistol grip. A bayonet mount was another 'scary
feature' and you see how many 'mass gorings' there've been from them.)

Almost all of these nut case crimes happened because "medical privacy"
rules prevent disclosure that would have prevented qualification to
buy a weapon.

And look at the Fort Hood case... Hasan was outwardly hostile against
"infidels", but the record was suppressed because of FEAR of
infringing the civil rights of some Islamic nutcase. Now the trial
is delayed while he appeals to keep his beard. Shoot the @#$%^& and
get it over with.

...Jim Thompson

"Flipper" (a pseudonym for pansy, wimp and/or fairy) didn't address
anything but a dictionary definition that no one knows or cares about.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

[...]

No, my "problem" just went away.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

...Jim Thompson

Reading all the News outlets stories, it seems no one knows what guns
were used.
The coroner says the kids died from the 223, but the others say the 223
was in the car trunk.

Poor reporting if you ask me.

The kid was a crack pot, and the mother probably kept her guns under her
sweaters.
A recipe for disaster.
At least remove the firing pins.

Cheers

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On 12/15/2012 7:48 PM, flipper wrote:

wrote:

[...]

In other words, Jim was wrong so he attacks the messenger for speaking
truth.

Yeah, it seems that he doesn't like being proven wrong. Oh well, it's
not like he contributes much of anything relevant to these newsgroups
anymore. Most of what he posts lately is off-topic blather.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 13:47:39 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:
How's the crime rate in London?
Or Liverpool? Or Manchester?

Killed by Guns Last Year:

UK approx 35

USA approx 9500

The UK has it's problems but I know where I'd rather be! What sort of
democracy needs it's citizens to own guns. Afghanistan, Iraq?

I know it's not that bad as the vast majority of Americans are sensible
and like the rest of the sane world do not own guns. The few that do kill
thousands each year.

--
M0WYM
www.radiowymsey.org

Sales @ radiowymsey
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Sales-At-Radio-Wymsey/

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012, Jim Thompson wrote:

More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

Keep your trash out of the newsgroups.

Once upon a time, there was sci.electronics, full of electronic related
posts, though sometimes a bit too much traffic. So they were split into
multiple newsgroups. Then sometime later some idiot decided that
sci.electronics.design was a hangout, not so much about electronic design
but about talking about whatever to whoever was there. And after a while,
that destroyed the newsgroup, even if the illusion is that there's a lot
of traffic there and it's healthy.

And then in recent times you've compounded your initial problem by
constantly cross-posting to other newsgroups. It's bad enough that you
feel it's acceptable to post junk unrelated to electronics, but you think
the rest of us want to see the junk posts? I don't look at
sci.electronics.design because of the way you trashed it with your
off-topic posts, don't come into .basics and inflict it on us here (or in
the other newsgroups that you've cross-posted to).

If nothing else, your trash means other people think it's acceptable to
act the same way, so now we're getting other people's junk to.

Keep your junk in sci.electronics.design.

ANd in the future, before you post, think very hard about whether you have
to cross-post anything, like your continuous junk posts about needed
computer parts or whatever. At least when you kept them in
sci.electronics.design we didn't have to see them elsewhere.

Michael
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 14:45:31 +0000 (UTC), RipeCrisbies
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 13:47:39 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:
How's the crime rate in London?
Or Liverpool? Or Manchester?

Killed by Guns Last Year:

UK approx 35

USA approx 9500

The UK has it's problems but I know where I'd rather be! What sort of
democracy needs it's citizens to own guns. Afghanistan, Iraq?

I know it's not that bad as the vast majority of Americans are sensible
and like the rest of the sane world do not own guns. The few that do kill
thousands each year.

I asked the CRIME rate?

And how about numbers PER CAPITA? We're supposed to be engineers
lurking here, are we not?

Although I'd guess a survey would show it's mostly candidates for
village idiot certification.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 13:47:39 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:
How's the crime rate in London?
Or Liverpool? Or Manchester?

Killed by Guns Last Year:

UK approx 35

USA approx 9500

The UK has it's problems but I know where I'd rather be! What sort of
democracy needs it's citizens to own guns. Afghanistan, Iraq?

I know it's not that bad as the vast majority of Americans are sensible
and like the rest of the sane world do not own guns. The few that do kill
thousands each year.

I asked the CRIME rate?

As in... http://tinyurl.com/cc9p82v

Idiot!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 21:26:33 -0500, "Martin Riddle"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message ...
More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

...Jim Thompson

Reading all the News outlets stories, it seems no one knows what guns
were used.
The coroner says the kids died from the 223, but the others say the 223
was in the car trunk.

Poor reporting if you ask me.

[snip]

Yep. So many variation in stories. No wonder "journalism" is in the
competition for "second oldest profession".

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 13:47:39 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:
How's the crime rate in London?
Or Liverpool? Or Manchester?

Killed by Guns Last Year:

UK approx 35

USA approx 9500

No, the number is more like 30,000 with somewhat more than half being suicides.

But the US homicide rate is about 3.5x that of the UK, nothing like 9500/35.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate

But we have fewer burglaries and muggings.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...tas-study.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...on-Harlem.html

The UK has it's problems but I know where I'd rather be! What sort of
democracy needs it's citizens to own guns. Afghanistan, Iraq?

I know it's not that bad as the vast majority of Americans are sensible
and like the rest of the sane world do not own guns. The few that do kill
thousands each year.

Gun violence is selective in the USA. Drug dealers, gangs, and some cities
dominate gun violence. People who live in quiet neighborhoods and who don't hang
out at clubs until 2AM have little to fear. Likely gun ownership, whether a
single household has a weapon or not, keeps the burglarly rate down. Not only is
it legal to shoot a burglar, in some places it's positively encouraged.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...b-6-times.html

That's insane, arresting someone for defending his family in his own home.

"Burglar's family leave floral tributes at the scene"

I read about a guy in the UK who found a gun in his front yard. He immediately
took it to a police ststion, where he was arrested for carrying a gun.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 20:07:14 -0600, flipper wrote:

wrote:

[...]

This is where the 25 year old 'kids' statistic comes from. Gun control
advocates include inter-gang and drug violence in 'kids killed'.

For actual children, having a swimming pool is a couple of orders more
lethal than having a gun around.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

In article ,
says...
wrote:

More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

http://tinyurl.com/d35ffhv

...Jim Thompson

The media certainly has a responsibility for accuracy, but here the
real problem to be addressed is the unnecessary widespread
availability of guns to people who not only do not have a need, but
rely on the 'right to bear arms'. Rights also have responsibilities,
and the government should seriously get on and properly restrict
access to firearms. Semiautomatic are obviously a potential problem,
but even single shot are highly dangerous.

Peter

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and
law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own
conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the
law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the
lawless will allow... For society does not control crime, ever, by
forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected
behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals
to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding."
---------- Jeff Snyder
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
More Media Lies

The media keeps saying "semi-automatic", but all weapons used were
pistols...

Semi-automatic pistols - as opposed from fully automatic military assault
weapons.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics

wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 13:47:39 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:
How's the crime rate in London?
Or Liverpool? Or Manchester?

Killed by Guns Last Year:

UK approx 35

USA approx 9500

No, the number is more like 30,000 with somewhat more than half being
suicides.

But the US homicide rate is about 3.5x that of the UK, nothing like
9500/35.

At the end of the day, what's really important is whether 20 or so school
kids massacred every few months is a price worth paying for the freedom of a
minority.

Lies. harry UK diy 4 August 21st 11 10:02 PM
More Palin Lies Wes[_2_] Metalworking 0 November 26th 09 05:36 PM
And more media lies exposed... Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 5 September 8th 09 10:21 PM
And more media lies exposed... Jim Thompson Electronic Schematics 0 August 28th 09 05:01 PM