Posted to rec.woodworking
Grant Edwards Grant Edwards is offline

Default OT---The media

On 2014-09-05, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 2014-09-04, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:

That is supposedly a no no, do not end a sentence with a preposition.

That's a myth. It is often perfectly fine to end a sentence with a
preposition.

A myth that my English teachers taught?

How should I know what your English teachers taught? There are high
school teachers teaching alls sorts of incorrect things. I wouldn't
be a bit surprised if your English teacher told you never to end a
sentence with a preposition. Despite what he/she may have told you,
your English teacher only made up the rules for your work in his/her
class -- not for the entire English speaking world.

http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2...-prepositions/
http://www.grammar-monster.com/lesso...a_sentence.htm

FWIW my dictionary indicates over to an adverb also, modifys the
verb, turned

The newscaster was using the single word "overturn", and that word is
a verb.

The reporters are trying to make the last words in a sentence "turned
over" grammatically correct as easily as possible, by reversing the two
words, and making the matter confusing.

No. They were using the word "overturned". And they were using it
correctly. You misinterpreted it as the two word phrase over turned.

Oddly they continue to say that the pedestrian was run over, why don't
they say the pedestrian was over run.

Because that's not what the word "overrun" means.

Doesn't it?

No, it "doesn't". Look it up.

--
Grant