Posted to rec.woodworking
knuttle knuttle is offline

Default OT---The media

On 9/4/2014 2:51 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
The general quality of journalism has dropped significantly from the time I was a reporter for a midwest daily in the late 60s and early 70s. Part of that can be attributed to the paring of the older, more experienced (and higher paid) reporters and editors to align costs with declining revenues in the print world. Part of it is the generally lousy job colleges and universities do in teaching the craft. The example you posted is just incompetent editing. More egregious examples are easy to find on every medium in every market. The worst offenders, IMHO, are the large cable news channels. I've started tuning to BBC America and PBS for decent, competent reporting.

Larry
On Thursday, September 4, 2014 1:27:55 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
And you wonder how things get misconstrued and blown out of proportion

when listening to the media.
By Business Insider, Colin Campbell
Both of former President George W. Bush's daughters aren't following the
family's Republican Party heritage.
Jenna Bush Hager, the younger of the Bush twins, bla bla bla.
Now I ask does, any one really care or need clarification as to which
twin popped out first? Does it matter? One would assume that the name
of the daughter might be enough information to distinguish between the
two. Does anyone need further clarification, really?
Another case of putting too much impertinent information into the story
to fill space.

While there may be some items that have affected media circulation, I
believe one of the greatest causes for the decline of the traditional
media is the extreme bias in some organizations.

There are entirely too many stories that are like the old one about the
two horse race between the US and the USSR. "The day after the race the
media reported the the US horse came in next to last, and the USSR horse
came in second."

I believe the US population is tired of this type of reporting and have
given up on traditional media as a source of their news.

I know in our family, we have stopped taking the newspaper because of
the extreme bias expressed on every issue.

We still watch the TV news for the entertainment value like one reporter
who was interviewing the person in charge of an operation that produced
a caustic byproduct. When the person in charge told the report that the
by product was like Draino she responded by asking if his staff was
trained to handle Draino. I will bet she did not know what Draino was.

With "Intelligent" reporters like this who needs Bill Cosby.