Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default jointer

On 07/31/2014 11:57 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/30/2014 6:23 PM, dpb wrote:

Just looked, my weather station has accumulated 5.28" YTD; add about
another inch maybe for some snow in March. We should have had 13-14" by
now or perhaps even more on our way to our average of roughly 18".

Ouch! Sorry to hear that.

So're we...

Out of the 5.28", 3.03" was June and 1.53" July or all but a little over
1" (2" counting the March snow) for the first 6 months of the year.

April and May which should be our two wettest months were 0.33" and
0.65", respectively. We've not had a decent thunderstorm, our normal
primary mode of rainfall, in 3+ years now. No tornadoes or hail which
is good, but no rain of any significance to go along with that that is
the redeeming feature of the severe weather season for the southern High
Plains.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 07/31/2014 9:14 AM, Leon wrote:
On 7/31/2014 8:10 AM, dpb wrote:
On 07/30/2014 10:31 PM, Leon wrote:

Speaking of rain, looks like L.A. solved it's water shortage, ...

Saw the footage. Didn't say, but that was a sizable main...

Very large and very old, it leaked 5% of the daily water usage for L.A.

Finally saw an article last night that actually had some (hopefully
reasonably accurate) facts other than the "golly, gee! look at the
water!" kind of reporting. It was/is "only" a 30" main and 90 yo --
both slightly beyond moderate in the scale of things...said there is
about 200 mi of 60 yo and older distribution line in LA. Surprised
isn't more than that altho LA is pretty new for the most part.

NY in January had a 36" line break in Greenwich Village. That main was
put in in 1877. Much of the main feed system dates to roughly the same
time or even earlier and are as large as 14-ft diam. I think the oldest
aqueduct, the New Croton finished around 1890, is largely now replaced
altho still operational.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/31/2014 8:10 AM, dpb wrote:
[...]

Not so much a replacement for as an additional. The idea was to have
excess capacity so each of the aqueducts could be brought down for
inspection and repair. After a century, it's a really good plan.

The aqueduct system into NYC is really amazing. They start in the
Catskills, which are on the other side of the Hudson River from NYC,
so must cross (under) the river. IIRC, they're on the order of 30' in
diameter (cue the Die Hard reruns).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/30/14 5:23 PM, dpb wrote:
On 07/30/2014 3:22 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 7/30/2014 3:18 PM, dpb wrote:

Ewww...just went to recheck my conclusion and "posting has been deleted
by author"...looks like deadhorse country here now...

Never stopped us before.

Chuckle...indeed!

You guys getting enough rain?

"Enough"? No chance. Despite their three-day alarms of flood warnings
and promises of 2" or more, we got only about a half-inch in a tiny
little shower of 0.1" in the morning yesterday then the rest from "the
big show" this AM between 4:30 and about 7. Like every other similar
event the last several years, it rained nicely for a little while but
nothing more than drizzle for over about 20-30 minutes. Just can't get
the main areas to come our way.

If you see this in time (it'll reset at midnight to the new day) look at
the radar precipitation total estimated map. We're right in that gray
"donut hole" w/ green, yellow, orange around. Been that way all year --
2" and as much as 4 or 5" within 10-15 miles but not on us.

http://classic.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?zoommode=pan&prevzoom=zoom&num=1&fram e=0&delay=15&scale=1.000&noclutter=0&ID=DDC&type=N TP&showstorms=0&lat=37.04393005&lon=-100.92813873&label=Liberal,%20KS&map.x=400&map.y=2 40&scale=1.000&centerx=400&centery=240&showlabels= 1&rainsnow=1&lightning=0&lerror=20&num_stns_min=2& num_stns_max=9999&avg_off=9999&smooth=0

--

Lucky you!
We seem to be forever stuck in the precip 'doughnut hole' here in

-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/02/2014 9:01 AM, Brewster wrote:

Lucky you!
We seem to be forever stuck in the precip 'doughnut hole' here in
central NM. YTD rain has been just barely over 1", although we got a
good 1/4" soaking last night...

Yeah, there are areas worse off than even we, fur shure...

But, just out of curiosity, what's your annual average?

We were out to Red River/Eagle Nest two weeks ago and excepting for just
a couple small areas just east of Springer, it's lush until almost
Clayton and from the cutoff north of Springer to Cimarron is about as
green as I've ever seen it in late July...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/2/14, 11:03 AM, dpb wrote:
On 08/02/2014 9:01 AM, Brewster wrote:

Lucky you!
We seem to be forever stuck in the precip 'doughnut hole' here in
central NM. YTD rain has been just barely over 1", although we got a
good 1/4" soaking last night...

Yeah, there are areas worse off than even we, fur shure...

But, just out of curiosity, what's your annual average?

Heh!
'Normal' is about 7-8". We usually get 80% of that in July/August.

We were out to Red River/Eagle Nest two weeks ago and excepting for just
a couple small areas just east of Springer, it's lush until almost
Clayton and from the cutoff north of Springer to Cimarron is about as
green as I've ever seen it in late July...

The state is catching up fast with the latest rains, but the storms are
hit or miss and we have been in the 'miss' category. Go up or down the
road a mile and they are doing great.
-BR

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 08/03/2014 9:41 AM, Brewster wrote:
On 8/2/14, 11:03 AM, dpb wrote:

But, just out of curiosity, what's your annual average?

Heh!
'Normal' is about 7-8". We usually get 80% of that in July/August.

Well, you've still got (most of) August... Good luck...

We were out to Red River/Eagle Nest two weeks ago and excepting for just
a couple small areas just east of Springer, it's lush until almost
Clayton and from the cutoff north of Springer to Cimarron is about as
green as I've ever seen it in late July...

That's generally true out here, of course, as you're well aware--it's
been almost five years since we've had a general area-wide rain event
around this area.

The state is catching up fast with the latest rains, but the storms are
hit or miss and we have been in the 'miss' category. Go up or down the
road a mile and they are doing great.
-BR

We've some other ground in Harding County and son went by on the way to
pick up I40 on their way back to Raleigh -- it's lush down that way now,
too, from the pictures he took. It's 50 mi out of the way to get down
there from US56 and no way across except to back track or a nearly
unused county road that only follows section lines so really cuts of
very little mileage back towards Clayton anyway so we didn't take the
time this trip.

But, despite all the green grass now, no cattle to be seen--all the cow
herds already thinned to nearly nothing by the past 2/3 years.

which jointer? R. Pierce Butler Woodworking 32 August 17th 06 05:01 PM
jointer help longshot Woodworking 5 March 17th 05 05:20 AM
8" jointer or a combo jointer/planer machine? [email protected] Woodworking 1 March 13th 05 05:31 AM
Newer Ridgid jointer or older Craftsman jointer RobW Woodworking 5 November 5th 04 04:47 PM
6" vs 8" jointer Dave Woodworking 38 August 27th 04 04:20 AM