longshot

Default jointer help

I have blown the motor on my table saw & robbed the one off my jointer, it
is an antique Atlas the old motor was a 3/4 HP 110 volt. I don't use the
jointer all that much & would like to put the old one back on & get a new
one for the TS... what's the way to go? can I just put any old motor 1/2 to
1 1/2" HP 110 volt? someone said it needs to be 3 phase & those are almost
as much as a new TS.. ideas?

Thanks
Rob

Thomas Bunetta

You can use almost any motor that will mount on the saw...
HP is your choice... install at least the amount that came with it, perhaps
a little more.
Was the original 3 phase? if so and you are connected to 3 phase power
that's the way to go (doubt it).
Baldor motors have a sterling reputation, but in reality any industrial
motor tha's sealed (sawdust) will work if it can be mounted.
Tom
"longshot" wrote in message
I have blown the motor on my table saw & robbed the one off my jointer, it
is an antique Atlas the old motor was a 3/4 HP 110 volt. I don't use the
jointer all that much & would like to put the old one back on & get a new
one for the TS... what's the way to go? can I just put any old motor 1/2
1 1/2" HP 110 volt? someone said it needs to be 3 phase & those are almost
as much as a new TS.. ideas?

Thanks
Rob

Edwin Pawlowski

"longshot" wrote in message
I have blown the motor on my table saw & robbed the one off my jointer, it
is an antique Atlas the old motor was a 3/4 HP 110 volt. I don't use the
jointer all that much & would like to put the old one back on & get a new
one for the TS... what's the way to go? can I just put any old motor 1/2
1 1/2" HP 110 volt? someone said it needs to be 3 phase & those are almost
as much as a new TS.. ideas?

Is it 3 phase now? If so, the simplest way is to replace it with the same.
If not, the "someone " is a twit and disregard them. "Any old motor" may
not work. You want at least the same horsepower, you want the same shaft
size (or change the pulley), the same RPM, and ideally the same voltage.
Grainger sells a 1 1/2 hp motor that they specify as a table saw motor. If
it is the same voltage and frame, it may be perfect for you. As always,
more power it better assuming the motor fits. .

LRod

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:28:50 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"longshot" wrote in message
I have blown the motor on my table saw & robbed the one off my jointer, it
is an antique Atlas the old motor was a 3/4 HP 110 volt. I don't use the
jointer all that much & would like to put the old one back on & get a new
one for the TS... what's the way to go? can I just put any old motor 1/2
1 1/2" HP 110 volt? someone said it needs to be 3 phase & those are almost
as much as a new TS.. ideas?

Is it 3 phase now? If so, the simplest way is to replace it with the same.
If not, the "someone " is a twit and disregard them. "Any old motor" may
not work. You want at least the same horsepower, you want the same shaft
size (or change the pulley), the same RPM, and ideally the same voltage.

Don't forget frame (NEMA 56 seems most popular for saws) or rotation
(or at least reversibility).

I don't know if this is a recent trend, but I've been noticing a lot
of motors at the lower end suppliers lately that are not reversible,
and in many cases are not the correct rotation for a table saw, even
though all the other factors seem perfect.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Duane Bozarth

wrote:

"longshot" wrote in message
[...]

You'll also want to make sure it's got decent enough bearings to take
the load (some real inexpensive things are still sleeved) and should be
at least shielded for dust if not TEFC...an open case otherwise will
fill w/ sawdust and be quite unreliable for the long run.

"I've been noticing a lot of motors at the lower end suppliers lately
that are not reversible, and in many cases are not the correct
rotation for a table saw "

But, the correct rotation depends on whether the TS is left or right
tilt, so any motor will have the correct rotation for at least some
saws.