Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Simple drawer glides - is this a bad design?

PMBI from a newbie, but how did you do those drawings?
Is it simply MS Paint, or is there a program that specially does
projects like this?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pringles CheezUms" wrote in message

PMBI from a newbie, but how did you do those drawings?
Is it simply MS Paint, or is there a program that specially does
projects like this?

Google "SketchUp"

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

dadiOH wrote:
"Pringles CheezUms" wrote in message

PMBI from a newbie, but how did you do those drawings?
Is it simply MS Paint, or is there a program that specially does
projects like this?

Google "SketchUp"

Google sold it to Trimble. Here is a download link:
http://www.sketchup.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/5/2014 2:44 PM, Bill wrote:
dadiOH wrote:
"Pringles CheezUms" wrote in message

PMBI from a newbie, but how did you do those drawings?
Is it simply MS Paint, or is there a program that specially does
projects like this?

Google "SketchUp"

Google sold it to Trimble. Here is a download link:
http://www.sketchup.com/

I think he was indicating to Google "Sketchup". ;~)
Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in :

Google sold it to Trimble. Here is a download link:
http://www.sketchup.com/

I'm still running version 8. Has Trimble kept the software pretty much the
same, or gone and made big (negative) changes?

Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/5/2014 8:26 PM, Puckdropper wrote:
Bill wrote in :

Google sold it to Trimble. Here is a download link:
http://www.sketchup.com/

I'm still running version 8. Has Trimble kept the software pretty much the
same, or gone and made big (negative) changes?

Most changes by Trimble have been 'under-the-hood' and barely noticeable
as far as 3D modeling/drawing capability from previous versions.

I have noticed an increased sensitivity to axis/plane issues, especially
with imported files (.dwg) that may contain "Layer" information in the
imported file.

But that is not necessarily a bad thing once you realize that this is
due to an increased, more faithful reproduction of the imported original
into SketchUp, and that "layers" are handled differently in CAD vs 3D
modeling.

What you make on the bananas, you lose on the grapes...

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
Bill wrote in :

Google sold it to Trimble. Here is a download link:
http://www.sketchup.com/

I'm still running version 8. Has Trimble kept the software pretty much the
same, or gone and made big (negative) changes?

I'm still running version 8 too (fear of upgrading). And I've backed up
the installation file.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote in :

Google sold it to Trimble. Here is a download link:
http://www.sketchup.com/

I'm still running version 8. Has Trimble kept the software pretty much the
same, or gone and made big (negative) changes?

Puckdropper

Pretty much the same however there are a couple of extra icons, the one
that comes to mind is the arc icon/pie icon.
Plugins are now handled differently and some of the older non approved
plugins no longer work. I have not had too much of an issue with that
as there are still a load to choose from if the one you had no longer works.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks everyone.
Sketchup Make is the free version. Is sketchup v8 better? Would there be
advantages to move over to v8? (if possible)

dadiOH wrote:
"Pringles CheezUms" wrote in message

PMBI from a newbie, but how did you do those drawings?
Is it simply MS Paint, or is there a program that specially does
projects like this?

Google "SketchUp"

Google sold it to Trimble. Here is a download link:
http://www.sketchup.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/7/2014 6:52 PM, Pringles CheezUms wrote:
Thanks everyone.
Sketchup Make is the free version. Is sketchup v8 better? Would there be
advantages to move over to v8? (if possible)

Better than v5, v6, v7? Most likely. But Sketchup 8 is also free if it
is still available.

Better than v2013 or v2104, not from my experience.

FWIW Sketchup Make is simply the new name for the free version.
Sketchup has had a free version since IIRC V4. Unless you are a pro
there is no reason to move to the "pro" version.

dadiOH wrote:
"Pringles CheezUms" wrote in message

PMBI from a newbie, but how did you do those drawings?
Is it simply MS Paint, or is there a program that specially does
projects like this?
Google "SketchUp"

Google sold it to Trimble. Here is a download link:
http://www.sketchup.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bill wrote:
Puckdropper wrote:
Bill wrote in :

Google sold it to Trimble. Here is a download link:
http://www.sketchup.com/

I'm still running version 8. Has Trimble kept the software pretty much the
same, or gone and made big (negative) changes?

I'm still running version 8 too (fear of upgrading). And I've backed up
the installation file.

Puckdropper

Don't fear upgrading, the install for later versions are separate. You can
have multiple versions installed on your computer. Just be aware that any
drawings that are made from an earlier version and opened/modified under a
later version should be saved with a unique name. Older files saved under
later versions will no longer be able to be opened with an earlier version.