Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sanding parts in a "corral": Seems to work OK so far (Video link)

Per the advice I got here, I decided to use three sanders - one for each
grit - to sand the many small parts of my current project.

Per my own stubbornness, I ignored several suggestions for how to
immobilize groups of pieces for sanding and went with my own idea; a
four-sided "corral" made of thinner stock than the pieces to be sanded.

It's working pretty well so far, especially after I made a small tweak
on the second run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrc0...ature=youtu.be

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg Guarino wrote:
Per the advice I got here, I decided to use three sanders - one for
each grit - to sand the many small parts of my current project.

Per my own stubbornness, I ignored several suggestions for how to
immobilize groups of pieces for sanding and went with my own idea; a
four-sided "corral" made of thinner stock than the pieces to be
sanded.
It's working pretty well so far, especially after I made a small tweak
on the second run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrc0...ature=youtu.be

Looks good Greg. Did you try just going with the 180 first? And... did you
try going from the 120 orbital straight to the 180?

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/28/2014 9:46 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
Per the advice I got here, I decided to use three sanders - one for
each grit - to sand the many small parts of my current project.

Per my own stubbornness, I ignored several suggestions for how to
immobilize groups of pieces for sanding and went with my own idea; a
four-sided "corral" made of thinner stock than the pieces to be
sanded.
It's working pretty well so far, especially after I made a small tweak
on the second run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrc0...ature=youtu.be

Looks good Greg. Did you try just going with the 180 first? And... did you
try going from the 120 orbital straight to the 180?

No, and no. This is Lowe's-issue 1x2 and 1x3 oak with visible plane
ridges. I was advised here to start at around 120. Plywood made up the
bulk of my previous projects, so I don't have much experience of my own
to go on.

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg Guarino" wrote in message
Per the advice I got here, I decided to use three sanders - one for each
grit - to sand the many small parts of my current project.

Per my own stubbornness, I ignored several suggestions for how to
immobilize groups of pieces for sanding and went with my own idea; a
four-sided "corral" made of thinner stock than the pieces to be sanded.

It's working pretty well so far, especially after I made a small tweak on
the second run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrc0...ature=youtu.be

---
protection is active.

The corral and wedges method works for me too. I do quick and dirty cheap
awards plaques on the little CNC router using a similar method, only I route
out a pocket to hold the plaques from sacrificial MDF. I'll set up to do
one task, like round over the edges. I can unwedge, swap, and rewedge
pretty quickly. Rounding over the edges on dozens of plaques per hour
easily. Then I go through and repeat for the common engraving like
organization, logo, year, etc. Then finally go through them again with the
individual personalized stuff.

I had never thought of using it for sanding like you did, but it makes
sense. I bet it improved your efficiency by an order of magnitude.