Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Update to previsous post, "Can a plane *really* eliminate sanding..."

Thanks to everyone for the good advice. Talked to the guy at Woodcraft
who taught me sharpening, and he recommended a LN 4 1/2 smoother. His
recommendation was based on what I told him I was working on...mostly
cherry wood, plenty of tables/bookcases/etc. He said any tearout can
be remedied with a card scraper. Went home with it. Time will tell if
it's the right one for my needs, but it sure is a joy to use.

At the same time, my SWMBO bought me the LV Medium Shoulder Plane off
the wish list. What a jewel.

Just a few months ago, I posted a question along the likes of "If you
had to buy JUST ONE PLANE, which would it be..."

Of course, everyone warned me I wouldn't buy just one, and they were
right. I'm now own the above two, plus the LV low-angle block. (For
the record, those who said I wouldn't stop at one, you all suck and are
headed straight to hell.)

Hand planes are like crack, except they're sold in fewer places.

Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks to everyone for the good advice. Talked to the guy at Woodcraft
who taught me sharpening, and he recommended a LN 4 1/2 smoother. His
recommendation was based on what I told him I was working on...mostly
cherry wood, plenty of tables/bookcases/etc. He said any tearout can
be remedied with a card scraper. Went home with it. Time will tell if
it's the right one for my needs, but it sure is a joy to use.

Let us know how they work out for ya. I have never had much luck with
scrapers on Cherry but then again, I still don't think I've
hit the "Zen" level with sharpening them.
Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 17:05:51 -0700, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Thanks to everyone for the good advice. Talked to the guy at Woodcraft
who taught me sharpening, and he recommended a LN 4 1/2 smoother. His
recommendation was based on what I told him I was working on...mostly
cherry wood, plenty of tables/bookcases/etc. He said any tearout can
be remedied with a card scraper. Went home with it. Time will tell if
it's the right one for my needs, but it sure is a joy to use.

Let us know how they work out for ya. I have never had much luck with
scrapers on Cherry

Cherry's not bad at all. Wild-grained Ash, that's a different story. Not
much problem with the scraper if I get there before a really big screw-up
with the hand plane

but then again, I still don't think I've
hit the "Zen" level with sharpening them.

I finally bought the Veritas scraper burnishing tool. That has made all
the difference in the world. Now, when I don't get a good hook I know it's
time to sharpen the scraper by filing it back and re-squaring the edges

Cheers,
cc

Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson

wrote:

I finally bought the Veritas scraper burnishing tool. That has made all
the difference in the world. Now, when I don't get a good hook I know it's
time to sharpen the scraper by filing it back and re-squaring the edges

Cheers,
cc

Yeah, my problem has been turning the hook too much. The last time I used
my scrapers, it felt like I finally "got it". I think I was using way too
much pressure when turning the hook. I haven't had a chance to do any
woodworking for a while but hopefully the new year will get me going again!
I do remember the cherry kind of peeled up vs. scraped up for lack of a
better description. Probably a sign of a dull or poorly sharpened scraper.
Cheers,
cc

FAQ: HAND TOOLS (Repost) Groggy Woodworking 0 January 16th 05 11:56 AM
HOW TO TURN SIX DOLLARS INTO SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS cohibas Home Ownership 1 December 24th 04 02:20 AM
easy money Onemoredrunk Home Ownership 0 October 11th 04 02:00 AM
Pop-pop's Plane Update U-CDK_CHARLES\\Charles Woodworking 18 September 17th 04 06:16 PM
penance for posting OT mel Woodworking 4 January 18th 04 04:27 AM