Posted to rec.woodworking

Default aaarrrgggghhhhh -- PC 690 fixed base slipped

Well crap, crap, and triple crap. I was routing edge splines in a Greene
and Greene breadboard top with a slot cutting bit in a PC 690 with a fixed
base. Een though I checked and checked to ensure the screw on the base was
tight the router slipped down once I started cutting the slot. Fortunately
it didn't go through the entire top. I need to patch the slot an try again.

Do the older style fixed base with a thumb screw have a tendency to work
lose and slip once routing starts? I had tightened it down as much as a
could without a mechnical aid.

Are the newer fixed bases better?
Posted to rec.woodworking

"xxxx" wrote in message
9.23...

Do the older style fixed base with a thumb screw have a tendency to work
lose and slip once routing starts? I had tightened it down as much as a
could without a mechnical aid.

Are the newer fixed bases better?

Yes, and yes. After a few mishaps like yours, one of which involved the
router motor dropping completely down out of a bench-top router table while
running, I got in the habit of tightening the thumb screw with a pair of
pliers before I hit the switch.

I replaced the fixed base with one of the newer ones with the cam lever
tightening mechanism, and I haven't had a problem since.

Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 6/25/2014 9:10 AM, xxxx wrote:
Well crap, crap, and triple crap. I was routing edge splines in a Greene
and Greene breadboard top with a slot cutting bit in a PC 690 with a fixed
base. Een though I checked and checked to ensure the screw on the base was
tight the router slipped down once I started cutting the slot. Fortunately
it didn't go through the entire top. I need to patch the slot an try again.

Do the older style fixed base with a thumb screw have a tendency to work
lose and slip once routing starts? I had tightened it down as much as a
could without a mechnical aid.

Are the newer fixed bases better?

You might try getting a can of that rubber coating stuff and very very
lightly mist the motor housing. Having to tighten the screw beyond what
one would expect puts undue stress on the whole mechanism. Better to
try to decrease the slipperiness.

Most routers these days that use the method of squeezing the base have
adopted a flip lever to tighten the base along with in many instances an
indexing pen for up and down adjustment. ie. the Bosch 1617 fixed base
router. The locking flip lever simply decreases the slop after adjustment.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tdacon" wrote:

Yes, and yes. After a few mishaps like yours, one of which involved
the router motor dropping completely down out of a bench-top router
table while running, I got in the habit of tightening the thumb
screw with a pair of pliers before I hit the switch.

Ditto except mine was a Cresant wrench AKA: Knuckle Buster.

Lew

---

Chimney flashing slipped Jason Judge UK diy 14 August 8th 12 01:35 PM
Slipped Perlin Cod Roe UK diy 8 August 10th 07 02:21 PM
Ryobi fixed base router height adjustment problem Peter Cheung Woodworking 2 October 30th 06 04:27 AM
MODEL HITKM12VC 2 1/4 HP Variable Speed Fixed/Plunge Base Router Kit? Joseph Smith Woodworking 4 February 6th 05 03:11 PM
Plunge v Fixed Base Router Mark Dailey Woodworking 38 December 8th 03 11:43 PM