Posted to rec.woodworking
tdacon tdacon is offline

Default aaarrrgggghhhhh -- PC 690 fixed base slipped

"xxxx" wrote in message
9.23...

Do the older style fixed base with a thumb screw have a tendency to work
lose and slip once routing starts? I had tightened it down as much as a
could without a mechnical aid.

Are the newer fixed bases better?

Yes, and yes. After a few mishaps like yours, one of which involved the
router motor dropping completely down out of a bench-top router table while
running, I got in the habit of tightening the thumb screw with a pair of
pliers before I hit the switch.

I replaced the fixed base with one of the newer ones with the cam lever
tightening mechanism, and I haven't had a problem since.

Tom