Posted to rec.woodworking

Default TOT Motor power

Gents,
I have the job of converting a mobile ice-cream machine in a van ;(my daughter's), the machine presently being driven by the van's engine, to also be able to run instead on 230v AC when in sensitive or confined places (such as at Food Fairs, Farmers' Markets etc.)
The job is pretty straightforward; I know the required speed, there is adequate space for the motor, I only need to add a Fenner Taper-Lock pulley to the original drive shaft and a belt to the motor and any necessary switch gear.
The only thing I need to know is the motor power required. The van engine (an old Perkins)
runs at idle and, with its universal governor, just sags a bit when the ice-cream machine clutch is engaged.
Is there anyone in this great pool of knowledge that can help, please? Perhaps you have owned an electric ice-cream machine, or repaired one, or know someone who owns one who would let you look at the motor plate. I would be immensely grateful for any information; she put her redundancy money into this and I want her to be able to earn a living from it.
TIA!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Monday, 9 June 2014 11:51:15 UTC+1, Limey Lurker wrote:
[...]

I'm so sorry, gentlemen; I've posted this to the wrong Group! It was meant to go to UK/DIY However, I still need the help! So, if anyone....

TIA (and apologies)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 03:51:15 -0700 (PDT), Limey Lurker
wrote:

[...]

What is the idle speed of the old Perker, and the pulley
ratio?Suspect the ratio is close to 1:1 and the idle speed is about
500 RPM- so a 1750RPM motor with a 2 inch pulley would about do the
job
Posted to rec.woodworking

Limey Lurker wrote:

[...]

My acquaintance with Perkins diesels is all with marine applications.

Idle speed will be around 1,500 RPM to prevent "wet stacking".

IOW, the engine has to run hot enough to make sure all fuel is
burned.

Is your shore power 50 or 60 Hz?

If 60 Hz, a 4 pole motor has a no load speed of 1,800 RPM.

If 50 Hz, a 4 pole motor has a no load speed of 1,500 RPM.

Questions? Questions? Questions?

Lew

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 13:39:26 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

Limey Lurker wrote:

[...]

So, if my other assumptions are correct, the motor pulley ratio will
need to be close to 1:1 with either 50hz or 60 hz (1800 or 1500 rpm)
motor

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Thanks for the replies, gents, but, as I said in the OP, I know the speed already; it's
the power that I need to supply that I don't know!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 08:59:09 -0700 (PDT), Limey Lurker
wrote:

[...]

How big is the compressor?? A 2 HP motor should run it, but without
an unloader it might not start it???