Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mlcorson

Default Power supply for wheelchair motor?

I recently dumpster dove for a couple of 24 volt 400-600 (estimated)
Watt, 3000rpm motors with controller off a Ranger II (1999) wheel
chair. They each have a gear box that should be either 18:1 or 24:1.
Would these be good for converting to a variable speed drill press? I
need a power source as these ran off 2 12v car size batteries. I
haven't been able to determine the exact specs of the motors as the
manufacturer is not cooperating, and the motors have a minimal amount
of information. Any suggestions on obtaining a reasonably priced power
source? How many amps?
-Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On 5 May 2006 08:50:12 -0700, "mlcorson" wrote:

I recently dumpster dove for a couple of 24 volt 400-600 (estimated)
Watt, 3000rpm motors with controller off a Ranger II (1999) wheel
chair. They each have a gear box that should be either 18:1 or 24:1.
Would these be good for converting to a variable speed drill press? I
need a power source as these ran off 2 12v car size batteries. I
haven't been able to determine the exact specs of the motors as the
manufacturer is not cooperating, and the motors have a minimal amount
of information. Any suggestions on obtaining a reasonably priced power
source? How many amps?
-Mike

600 watts at 24 volts is 25 amps -- but current under heavy load for
short durations could easily approach 100 amps. Ignoramus may be
able to steer you to a surplus source -- I know he has recently bought
and sold such power supplies.

In order to build your own you would need a pretty humongous 24-volt
transformer rated for 500 to 1000 VA -- pricey if bought new. You
could probably re-wind a new secondary on an old microwave oven
transformer if you were up for that.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus22440

On Fri, 05 May 2006 11:41:34 -0500, Don Foreman wrote:
[...]

Don, sorry, I sold all of my PP-1104C/G power supplies (which would
work for the OP). They are all gone. Turns out that they have many
good uses, some guy bought 3 of them at a time. One of them was bought
by a person who is restoring an old helicopter.

I do, however, have a "Eagle Picher" UPS that is rated for 500 VA (if
I recall correctly) and that produces 24 volts output (that is, it is
a UPS, but one with 24 volt output, not with 110V output as is
normally the case). The OP could adopt it to his needs, I think. I
have not tested it yet. I had 3 of them, sold two to a guy who just
wanted them for cases, it has a nice aluminum case. This thing is a
size of a desktop computer. It is not heavy as it is without
batteries. I could sell it for not too much.

I think that the OP could do well looking for some local deal like a
burned out machine with a suitable transformer, a battery charger,
whatever.

If he could buy four like this:

he would be set. If he is interested, I could try that Eagle Picher
UPS to see if can be used just as a voltage source.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
mlcorson

Iggie:
What do you mean 4 of these in reference to the ebay listing? Use 4 in
series? The UPS, would it have sufficient amperage? Thanks
-Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

mlcorson wrote:

I recently dumpster dove for a couple of 24 volt 400-600 (estimated)
Watt, 3000rpm motors with controller off a Ranger II (1999) wheel
chair. They each have a gear box that should be either 18:1 or 24:1.
Would these be good for converting to a variable speed drill press? I
need a power source as these ran off 2 12v car size batteries. I
haven't been able to determine the exact specs of the motors as the
manufacturer is not cooperating,

Ha Ha. Been there. My mom had a stroke and was
begging the kids for a powerchair. Medicare wouldn't
cover it because she could still sorta drag herself
around. I ended up buying a used Jazzy powerchair
from a private party, cleaning it up and re-batterying
it. Jazzy/Pride Mobility was totally useless. Any
question was replied with "ask your provider".

and the motors have a minimal amount
of information. Any suggestions on obtaining a reasonably priced power
source? How many amps?

The Jazzy used 2x 12 volt 85 ampere/hr gel or wet
lead acid cells in series. From what I could find
on the powerchair forums, a Jazzy with good batteries
would take you 10-15 miles on one charge with a little
bit left in the bank.

New gel cells will run about $130 each at discount.
Wet cells will run a little over half that.

I think the best uses of the motors would be either
an electric bike or a battlebot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

" From what I could find
on the powerchair forums, a Jazzy with good batteries
would take you 10-15 miles on one charge with a little
bit left in the bank. "

Where are these "power chair forums"?

TMT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

I've made a tracer for a lathe using a car wiper motor and more recently
a vibrating table for refractory castable material like concrete using a
car cooling fan motor, both these were 12V and used occasionally for
short periods so I just ran them off the 12V car battery. The wiper
motor would run off a 12V power supply I made but as the use was
occasional it was easier to charge a battery and use that as the supply.
The same was true of the vibrator, it would run for a couple of minutes
before tripping a 10 amp battery charger but was just easier to use off
a battery and use the charger to charge it. So far as a recent project
the vibrating table has been used to cast a 39kg glass furnace gathering
port which probably required running the table for about 15 minutes,
the 44 Ahr car battery seemed fine.

mlcorson wrote:

I recently dumpster dove for a couple of 24 volt 400-600 (estimated)
Watt, 3000rpm motors with controller off a Ranger II (1999) wheel
chair. They each have a gear box that should be either 18:1 or 24:1.
Would these be good for converting to a variable speed drill press? I
need a power source as these ran off 2 12v car size batteries. I
haven't been able to determine the exact specs of the motors as the
manufacturer is not cooperating, and the motors have a minimal amount
of information. Any suggestions on obtaining a reasonably priced power
source? How many amps?
-Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus22440

On 5 May 2006 10:15:23 -0700, mlcorson wrote:
Iggie:
What do you mean 4 of these in reference to the ebay listing? Use 4 in
series? The UPS, would it have sufficient amperage? Thanks
-Mike

See my separate post "whoever wanted the 24VDC 500W power supply". I
took some photos. See that post.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Sat, 06 May 2006 00:06:59 GMT, Ignoramus22440
wrote:

On 5 May 2006 10:15:23 -0700, mlcorson wrote:
Iggie:
What do you mean 4 of these in reference to the ebay listing? Use 4 in
series? The UPS, would it have sufficient amperage? Thanks
-Mike

See my separate post "whoever wanted the 24VDC 500W power supply". I
took some photos. See that post.

How about a light duty arc welder for the transformer, and a full wave
bridge rectifier?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

wrote:

On 5 May 2006 10:15:23 -0700, mlcorson wrote:
Iggie:
What do you mean 4 of these in reference to the ebay listing? Use 4 in
series? The UPS, would it have sufficient amperage? Thanks
-Mike

See my separate post "whoever wanted the 24VDC 500W power supply". I
took some photos. See that post.

How about a light duty arc welder for the transformer, and a full wave
bridge rectifier?

That should work if OCV is good (ie not 17v) and if voltage does not
drop too much with load.

Or a heavy duty booster/charger (starter assist). Would have to be 24
volt, obviously. Or something like the old Sebring Vanguard electric
car charger. (24 volt, 50 amp). I still have one ot those hiding
somewhere from my old Fiat 128 ElectraMobile.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

wrote:

On 5 May 2006 10:15:23 -0700, mlcorson wrote:
Iggie:
What do you mean 4 of these in reference to the ebay listing? Use 4 in
series? The UPS, would it have sufficient amperage? Thanks
-Mike

See my separate post "whoever wanted the 24VDC 500W power supply". I
took some photos. See that post.

How about a light duty arc welder for the transformer, and a full wave
bridge rectifier?

A wirefeed might work OK, definitely not an arcwelder meant for stick
welding.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sell:
China Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co. Ltd engages in designing, manufacturing and marketing all kinds of electric motors. They are mainly suitable for the following applications: smart home application used in smart kitchen and laundry, medical instrument for personal care, smart E-transmission applied in automobile, industry automation applied in telecommunication and a great variety of plastic/metal planetary gearbox in different sizes.
In order to develop the oversea market, we are current seeking new partners around the world to create a bright future together. ZhaoWei is a right choice and excellent partnership with sincere services.

Company: Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co., Ltd
Contact: Annie Liu
Tel:+86-755-27322652
Fax:+86-755-27323949

Add: Blk. 18, Longwangmiao Industry Park, Fuyong Tn., Baoan Dist., Shenzhen 518103, Guangdong, China