Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default Power supply for wheelchair motor?

On 5 May 2006 08:50:12 -0700, "mlcorson" wrote:

I recently dumpster dove for a couple of 24 volt 400-600 (estimated)
Watt, 3000rpm motors with controller off a Ranger II (1999) wheel
chair. They each have a gear box that should be either 18:1 or 24:1.
Would these be good for converting to a variable speed drill press? I
need a power source as these ran off 2 12v car size batteries. I
haven't been able to determine the exact specs of the motors as the
manufacturer is not cooperating, and the motors have a minimal amount
of information. Any suggestions on obtaining a reasonably priced power
source? How many amps?
-Mike

600 watts at 24 volts is 25 amps -- but current under heavy load for
short durations could easily approach 100 amps. Ignoramus may be
able to steer you to a surplus source -- I know he has recently bought
and sold such power supplies.

In order to build your own you would need a pretty humongous 24-volt
transformer rated for 500 to 1000 VA -- pricey if bought new. You
could probably re-wind a new secondary on an old microwave oven
transformer if you were up for that.