Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Default Power supply for wheelchair motor?

mlcorson wrote:

I recently dumpster dove for a couple of 24 volt 400-600 (estimated)
Watt, 3000rpm motors with controller off a Ranger II (1999) wheel
chair. They each have a gear box that should be either 18:1 or 24:1.
Would these be good for converting to a variable speed drill press? I
need a power source as these ran off 2 12v car size batteries. I
haven't been able to determine the exact specs of the motors as the
manufacturer is not cooperating,

Ha Ha. Been there. My mom had a stroke and was
begging the kids for a powerchair. Medicare wouldn't
cover it because she could still sorta drag herself
around. I ended up buying a used Jazzy powerchair
from a private party, cleaning it up and re-batterying
it. Jazzy/Pride Mobility was totally useless. Any
question was replied with "ask your provider".

and the motors have a minimal amount
of information. Any suggestions on obtaining a reasonably priced power
source? How many amps?

The Jazzy used 2x 12 volt 85 ampere/hr gel or wet
lead acid cells in series. From what I could find
on the powerchair forums, a Jazzy with good batteries
would take you 10-15 miles on one charge with a little
bit left in the bank.

New gel cells will run about $130 each at discount.
Wet cells will run a little over half that.

I think the best uses of the motors would be either
an electric bike or a battlebot.