Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus22440

Default Power supply for wheelchair motor?

On Fri, 05 May 2006 11:41:34 -0500, Don Foreman wrote:
On 5 May 2006 08:50:12 -0700, "mlcorson" wrote:

I recently dumpster dove for a couple of 24 volt 400-600 (estimated)
Watt, 3000rpm motors with controller off a Ranger II (1999) wheel
chair. They each have a gear box that should be either 18:1 or 24:1.
Would these be good for converting to a variable speed drill press? I
need a power source as these ran off 2 12v car size batteries. I
haven't been able to determine the exact specs of the motors as the
manufacturer is not cooperating, and the motors have a minimal amount
of information. Any suggestions on obtaining a reasonably priced power
source? How many amps?
-Mike

600 watts at 24 volts is 25 amps -- but current under heavy load for
short durations could easily approach 100 amps. Ignoramus may be
able to steer you to a surplus source -- I know he has recently bought
and sold such power supplies.

Don, sorry, I sold all of my PP-1104C/G power supplies (which would
work for the OP). They are all gone. Turns out that they have many
good uses, some guy bought 3 of them at a time. One of them was bought
by a person who is restoring an old helicopter.

I do, however, have a "Eagle Picher" UPS that is rated for 500 VA (if
I recall correctly) and that produces 24 volts output (that is, it is
a UPS, but one with 24 volt output, not with 110V output as is
normally the case). The OP could adopt it to his needs, I think. I
have not tested it yet. I had 3 of them, sold two to a guy who just
wanted them for cases, it has a nice aluminum case. This thing is a
size of a desktop computer. It is not heavy as it is without
batteries. I could sell it for not too much.

I think that the OP could do well looking for some local deal like a
burned out machine with a suitable transformer, a battery charger,
whatever.

If he could buy four like this:

he would be set. If he is interested, I could try that Eagle Picher
UPS to see if can be used just as a voltage source.