Posted to rec.woodworking

Default News viewer - off topic

I apologize for posting this in the woodworking group but this is the only
internet news group to which I subscribe. I am moving to Windows 8 and OE is
no longer supported. Does one of you have an alternative you can recommend?

Again, sorry for posting an off topic item here.

Dick Snyder

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/22/2014 3:24 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:
I apologize for posting this in the woodworking group but this is the only
internet news group to which I subscribe. I am moving to Windows 8 and OE is
no longer supported. Does one of you have an alternative you can recommend?

Again, sorry for posting an off topic item here.

Dick Snyder

I use
Thunderbird.http://download.cnet.com/Mozilla-Thu...-10213643.html
http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
http://download.cnet.com/Mozilla-Thu...-10213643.html
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 5/22/2014 4:41 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 5/22/2014 3:24 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:

... Does one of you have an alternative [to OE for Win8] you can
recommend?

I use
Thunderbird....

ditto here...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 May 2014 17:24:55 -0400, "Dick Snyder"
wrote:

I apologize for posting this in the woodworking group but this is the only
internet news group to which I subscribe. I am moving to Windows 8 and OE is
no longer supported. Does one of you have an alternative you can recommend?

Again, sorry for posting an off topic item here.

Dick Snyder

It's not free, but I like Forte Agent.

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/22/2014 5:41 PM, Just Wondering wrote:
On 5/22/2014 3:24 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:
I apologize for posting this in the woodworking group but this is the
only
internet news group to which I subscribe. I am moving to Windows 8 and
OE is
no longer supported. Does one of you have an alternative you can
recommend?

Again, sorry for posting an off topic item here.

Dick Snyder

I use
Thunderbird.http://download.cnet.com/Mozilla-Thu...-10213643.html

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
http://download.cnet.com/Mozilla-Thu...-10213643.html

Ditto. I have used Thunderbird since Netscape left us. I like it
because it gives me the option of seeing each message in a stand alone
window, or as a pane on the main window. It is flexible and can be
modified to fit your style of browsing, with the navigation icons where
you want them

If you go with Thunderbird, I would consider also adding the addon
Lightning. This is a scheduling program that can send to and receive
invitation to events from user of Outlook and other scheduling program.
You can place Events and Task in your calendar.
My family uses it to track the events and task in our lives. We are retired.

Depending on your use, you may also want to consider Auto ReSize Image,
It is a customizable addon to automatically resize your photos. It is
very useful if you send a lot of pictures, and your camera takes
pictures in the Megabyte size.

Another is Mark All Read Button. This is especially useful in
newsgroups. After reviewing all of the messages of interest, clicking
this button and it marks all of the remaining messages in the newsgroup
as read.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 May 2014 18:11:38 -0400, adsDUMP wrote:

It's not free, but I like Forte Agent.

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

I used Free Agent for years till I switched to Linux - is it no longer
available?
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I apologize for posting this in the woodworking group but this is the only
internet news group to which I subscribe. I am moving to Windows 8 and OE is
no longer supported. Does one of you have an alternative you can recommend?

Again, sorry for posting an off topic item here.

Dick Snyder

On my desktop, I use Forte Agent. On my laptop and work computer, I
use Thunderbird Portable on a thumb drive. Both work well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 May 2014 23:37:19 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Thu, 22 May 2014 18:11:38 -0400, adsDUMP wrote:

It's not free, but I like Forte Agent.

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

I used Free Agent for years till I switched to Linux - is it no longer
available?

I don't believe it's still available from Forte but it's still around
on the net. It hasn't been updated for five years, anyway. If you
want a newsreader that's been around that long without maintenance,
Gravity is also a good choice.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 May 2014 19:38:58 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On my desktop, I use Forte Agent. On my laptop and work computer, I
use Thunderbird Portable on a thumb drive. Both work well.

I use Forte Agent on my desktop too (no laptop). Agent is eminently
configurable and well supported should there be any problems ~ not
that problems are common. Worth every cent of the cost. (US $29) Forte
offers a 30 day free trial should anyone be interested in having a
look at it.

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/trial.php
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/22/2014 4:24 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:
I apologize for posting this in the woodworking group but this is the only
internet news group to which I subscribe. I am moving to Windows 8 and OE is
no longer supported. Does one of you have an alternative you can recommend?

Again, sorry for posting an off topic item here.

Dick Snyder

I use Thunderbird. Free and it works.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message
I apologize for posting this in the woodworking group but this is the only
internet news group to which I subscribe. I am moving to Windows 8 and OE
is no longer supported. Does one of you have an alternative you can
recommend?

Again, sorry for posting an off topic item here.

If you like OE, then you will adapt quickly to Microsoft "Windows Live
Mail."
I tried other suggested programs and they always fell short, IMHO.
--
Jim in NC

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dick Snyder" wrote in message

I apologize for posting this in the woodworking group but this is the only
internet news group to which I subscribe. I am moving to Windows 8 and OE
is no longer supported. Does one of you have an alternative you can
recommend?
Again, sorry for posting an off topic item here.

Dick Snyder

I had the same problem. I liked OE because I could use it for both mail and
news; additionally, I could use HTML for mail.

I searched mightily for a replacement I liked; about all I found was
Thunderbird, didn't like it so I went back to OE which I am using at the
moment on my Win8 laptop to write this. I did that by setting up a virtual
machine with Oracle's Virtual Box and installing WinXP on that virtual
machine.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 23 May 2014 07:17:44 -0400, "dadiOH"
I had the same problem. I liked OE because I could use it for both mail and
news; additionally, I could use HTML for mail.

I searched mightily for a replacement I liked; about all I found was
Thunderbird, didn't like it so I went back to OE which I am using at the
moment on my Win8 laptop to write this. I did that by setting up a virtual
machine with Oracle's Virtual Box and installing WinXP on that virtual
machine.

Any chance you have access to a copy of Office 2007? It has the full
version of Outlook and is compatible with Windows 8.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/22/2014 8:58 PM, Morgans wrote:

If you like OE, then you will adapt quickly to Microsoft "Windows Live
Mail."
I tried other suggested programs and they always fell short, IMHO.

I like OE but present versions of Live Mail sucks for newsgroups. That
is what forced me to go elsewhere. The original version was OK, similar
to OE, but they improved it to the point it did not work very well with
quoting, etc.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dick Snyder" wrote in
:

I apologize for posting this in the woodworking group but this is the only
internet news group to which I subscribe. I am moving to Windows 8 and OE is
no longer supported. Does one of you have an alternative you can recommend?

I'm pretty happy with XNews.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 5/22/2014 5:15 PM, Leon wrote:
On 5/22/2014 4:24 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:
I apologize for posting this in the woodworking group but this is the
only
internet news group to which I subscribe. I am moving to Windows 8 and
OE is
no longer supported. Does one of you have an alternative you can
recommend?

Again, sorry for posting an off topic item here.

Dick Snyder

I use Thunderbird. Free and it works.

God help me, but I go back to Mosaic and Netscape. Firefox is the nth
generation of this group. I use Thunderbird for newsgroup stuff and
email. Works great.

Go to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/ for further info.

mahalo,
jo4hn

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 23 May 2014 08:23:18 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
That's Outlook Dave, not Outlook Express. Very different products. He can
though, download back versions of IE - Outlook Express comes as a part of
IE.

Yeah, I'd forgotten that.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 23 May 2014 08:23:18 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
That's Outlook Dave, not Outlook Express. Very different products. He can
though, download back versions of IE - Outlook Express comes as a part of
IE.

There is a modified version of OE for Windows 7 and 8.
http://www.rafailb.tk/index.php?itemid=27
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

On Fri, 23 May 2014 08:23:18 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
That's Outlook Dave, not Outlook Express. Very different products.
He can though, download back versions of IE - Outlook Express comes
as a part of IE.

There is a modified version of OE for Windows 7 and 8.
http://www.rafailb.tk/index.php?itemid=27

Neat, thanks, I am going to try it.

Also, thanks to this thread, I now have Windows Live Mail on my Win8
machine. I hadn't wanted it before due to the (supposed) need for a
Microsoft account. One of the replies mentioned that an account wasn't
needed, just d/l the Windows Essentials installer from MS, run it and untick
the other items it can install. I did so. I haven't actually used WLM yet
but it is very similar to OE...bigger, I would bet, and it has the sucky
faded out GUI that MS seems to think is wonderful but I could live with it.

Nice to have choices, thanks again

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thursday, May 22, 2014 4:24:55 PM UTC-5, Dick Snyder wrote:
I apologize for posting this in the woodworking group but this is the only

internet news group to which I subscribe. I am moving to Windows 8 and OE is

no longer supported. Does one of you have an alternative you can recommend?

Again, sorry for posting an off topic item here.

Dick Snyder

I remember that sad day when I could no longer use Outlook Express. It was clean, easy to manage, and easy on the eye.

Now I use google groups. There's not much to recommend it except that it's free on the web and easy to use.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 22 May 2014 19:53:38 -0400, krw wrote:

I used Free Agent for years till I switched to Linux - is it no longer
available?

I don't believe it's still available from Forte but it's still around on
the net. It hasn't been updated for five years, anyway. If you want a
newsreader that's been around that long without maintenance, Gravity is
also a good choice.

I've used Gravity as well. It's a lot newer than Usenet :-). I don't
recall any major problems with it or with Free Agent.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 23 May 2014 19:36:16 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Thu, 22 May 2014 19:53:38 -0400, krw wrote:

I used Free Agent for years till I switched to Linux - is it no longer
available?

I don't believe it's still available from Forte but it's still around on
the net. It hasn't been updated for five years, anyway. If you want a
newsreader that's been around that long without maintenance, Gravity is
also a good choice.

I've used Gravity as well. It's a lot newer than Usenet :-). I don't
recall any major problems with it or with Free Agent.

I've used both and both have problems with more recent Windows
versions, though I don't remember what they are right now. I still
prefer Gravity (over Agent) for binaries and still have it on my
desktop. However, I don't do much with Usenet binaries anymore.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:

Now I use google groups. There's not much to recommend it except that
it's free on the web and easy to use.

Ugh! My sympathies to you sir. I hate google groups. I avoid it like the
plague. Do yerself a favor and at least go get Thunderbird...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dadiOH" wrote in message

wrote in message

On Fri, 23 May 2014 08:23:18 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
That's Outlook Dave, not Outlook Express. Very different products.
He can though, download back versions of IE - Outlook Express comes
as a part of IE.

There is a modified version of OE for Windows 7 and 8.
http://www.rafailb.tk/index.php?itemid=27

Neat, thanks, I am going to try it.

I tried it.

Clicking on the d/l link sends you off to a couple of places; eventually,
you get a d/l but it's a web-type installer, not the program.

Clicking on the installer sends you off to cyberspace and the program is
downloaded; to install it, one has to agree to their TOS which includes
collecting info; they also want to reset your home page and install a
browser helper. I declined.

However, I did find something called oeclassic v1.90. It is NOT OE, seems
to be a third party program styled after and closely resembling OE. It has
most of OE's features but not all; however, it does what I want - email,
newsgroups and HTML - so I may keep it.

For anyone interested, 14MB installed...
http://www.oeclassic.com/

--

dadiOH
____________________________

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Friday, May 23, 2014 3:11:23 PM UTC-5, Mike Marlow wrote:
Michael wrote:

Now I use google groups. There's not much to recommend it except that

it's free on the web and easy to use.

Ugh! My sympathies to you sir. I hate google groups. I avoid it like the

plague. Do yerself a favor and at least go get Thunderbird...

--

-Mike-

The only other thing to recommend Google Groups is that I can read newsgroups with my iPhone and iPad. This can be quite useful when standing in a long checkout line. I used OE then Gravity but when my carrier stopped delivering the NNPT and I just didn't want to futz with it anymore.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Michael wrote:

Now I use google groups. There's not much to recommend it except that

it's free on the web and easy to use.

Ugh! My sympathies to you sir. I hate google groups. I avoid it like the

plague. Do yerself a favor and at least go get Thunderbird...

--

-Mike-

The only other thing to recommend Google Groups is that I can read newsgroups with my iPhone and iPad. This can be quite useful when standing in a long checkout line. I used OE then Gravity but when my carrier stopped delivering the NNPT and I just didn't want to futz with it anymore.

There's a free android app called groundhog that works well for
newsgroups. Not sure if it's available for iStuff.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Winterburn wrote:

There's a free android app called groundhog that works well for
newsgroups. Not sure if it's available for iStuff.

Ok Doug - on your advice I downloaded groundhog to my android with no
further investigation. If this thing ****es me off, I'm comin' after ya
brother...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 05/24/2014 05:35 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Doug Winterburn wrote:

There's a free android app called groundhog that works well for
newsgroups. Not sure if it's available for iStuff.

Ok Doug - on your advice I downloaded groundhog to my android with no
further investigation. If this thing ****es me off, I'm comin' after ya
brother...

I'm in my 5th wheel running around all over the country. You'll never
catch me - Bwahahahahaha